Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Feb 28, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #1,561 of 1,585
i just wanted to say how much i enjoy these little buggers , i sold my K3003 but these babies will stay as a 2nd tier iem for as long as they work

they have rendered my (once fav iem) RE-272 completely obsolete , only reason i have not sold them is that the casing has unglued and i can not sell them

great , great iem for those who like their iem detailed/airy/neutral/lean.

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #1,563 of 1,585
I picked up a pair of these gems used a couple years ago and the left filter was clogged so I got the filters out very carefully and didn't know what gauge or which ones to replace them with.i found out that the green filters from etymotic fit these and ever since they sound great. I don't really know what the difference in SQ is from the original ones to the etymotic ones are but still sounds amazing. Very detailed with great sense of space and very fast.i have them hooked up to either my ipod and fiio Monte blanc for iems or my Sony z5 with the same amp and wow what a great earphone. Specially with the Sony z5 and the amp.great synergy. Love these things.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #1,564 of 1,585
And they eq very well.im not a big EQ guy at all but I lf I want a little more bottom end from these I use the bass boost on the fiio and it bumps up the bottom end very well without getting into the mids way what so ever. Actually the bass boost gives a little more sub bass actually gives them a little more umph!

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,565 of 1,585
i used to love my re272 , i thought they were the mid-price detail/neutrality kings

and then i got the ck10 and BOOM , the king is dead long live the king

only then did i realize how hollow the re272 mids really were - like having a hole in the middle

only bad thing i can say about ck10, sometimes the bass needs some vitamins and the highs can't stop flirting with mrs sibilance , but still  huge iem no doubt about it

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #1,567 of 1,585
I plan on being buried with my CK10.  Sure wish someone would make a cable like that with 2-pin or MMCX and 2.5mm TRRS termination. I would buy a dozen of them.

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,569 of 1,585
Mar 20, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #1,570 of 1,585
  apparently amazon has some new pairs for sale , starting at 305$

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ZHU0H6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

It would be nice to have a spare.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #1,571 of 1,585
i switched from ck10 to my (universal) 1000$ UM Miracles and i thought that Miracles suffered from blurry imaging/separation when compared to the ck10 'clear as water; signature  
rolleyes.gif

i will probably reshell them or sell them - or reshell them and then sell them 
tongue.gif

CK10 has sonic shortcomings of course, but for the kind of signature it represents(neutral/detailed) and its price it's definitely a keeper

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #1,572 of 1,585
the right side of my CK10s were starting to sound dimmer and more spaced out compared to the left, so I thought maybe the drivers were finally deteriorating and dying after long hard 5 years of service. Nope! turns out that the filter was so dirty it was blocking up sound. I replaced said filter with the green Etymotic ones that came with my hf5 (which I bought as a replacement for the CK10s, they're not bad but certainly not on par), it fits perfectly and I can hear no penalty or difference in the SQ. Gonna leave the left one for now as it still works fine.

Very glad to have revived my all-time and probably forever favourite IEMs.

Oh and I strongly advise against trying to clean and reuse the original metal filters. It's a filter of minute precision. The more you clean it the dirtier it gets.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #1,574 of 1,585
I asked plusSound about the recabling, while it is possible, they charged a high price ($100 for recabling) which I did not find too compelling, even if I love the ATH-CK10 to death. Sure, they're a high quality cable maker but I can't help but think that costing $100usd just to recable, and it doesn't even include the cable, you'd have to buy a separate one, was too much.

Feel free to share some other 3rd party headphone/earphone modding company or person that you know would have a better price.

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #1,575 of 1,585
great iem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back