Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Feb 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #1,022 of 1,585
SS3 has said a few times that he prefers the JH5s to these, but the gap in performance (and most likely his preference) isn't as large as one would think when comparing customs to universals.

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #1,023 of 1,585

Quote:
SS3 has said a few times that he prefers the JH5s to these, but the gap in performance (and most likely his preference) isn't as large as one would think when comparing customs to universals.

This pretty much sums it up.

I do prefer and enjoy my JH5's more than the CK10's however the JH5's cost almost twice as much. I don't believe that their sound quality is twice as good or anything of that nature. To me it was worth the money for the fit, sound signature and the experience of trying out customs but from a purely economic and frugal sense it may have been a wiser choice to save the money considering how close the CK10's do come in regards to my enjoyment. 

That being said, the JH5's fill the role I purchased them for very well. They got my feet wet in customs without destroying the bank, have a very good fit, are extremely comfortable and have a sound signature that is both natural, cohesive and enjoyable. Everything just blends together so nicely that I really can't fault their sound. Also, they are a respectable companion to my Senn HD600's in that both are natural sounding while keeping a bit of a fun feel and at the same time producing a cohesive sound. I would say I like the space produced by the Senn HD600's coupled with my LDII over the JH5's and reach for them more often at home however, the JH5's do a great job of getting close to them when out and about.

I wrote an extensive review here if you want more detail regarding the CK10's
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/526436/and-he-walked-away-with-a-smile-a-jh5-review

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #1,024 of 1,585

Why'd you want to resell @rawster?

What's your impressions based on your current sig?

Quote:
Maybe if I decide to sell mine which is something I've been thinking about lately lol

You can also get it imported from Japan which isn't too far away

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #1,025 of 1,585
If you want my thoughts on the CK10 my profile has a link to a review.

I have no need for the CK10 since it's not being used much and I have 2 customs already and use those much more often.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,026 of 1,585

Quote:

I have no need for the CK10 since it's not being used much and I have 2 customs already and use those much more often.

Well if you are thinking of letting your CK10 go anytime soon, I may be interested =). Having a backup IEM would be nice.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #1,027 of 1,585

Thanks man for the Reviews!

This definitely helps me rethink in buying another Universal IEM, I was choosing between the DBA02 or CK10.

Quote:

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #1,030 of 1,585
i got them yesterday....i don't feel any bass... :/ what tips should i try?? i feel like it's not going in enough in my ear and i have pushed it but i think different tips will be better...feels like stock tips don't isolate well for me

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #1,031 of 1,585

Quote:
i got them yesterday....i don't feel any bass... :/ what tips should i try?? i feel like it's not going in enough in my ear and i have pushed it but i think different tips will be better...feels like stock tips don't isolate well for me

The stock tips really are not great for the CK10's. I would recommend the Monster tri-flange or fake monster tri flanges, those are the only tri flange I have been able to get a decent fit with. Also, they are pretty "soft" and comfortable at least for me. If your looking for single flange I know the monster single flange fit as well also the sony hybrids, both of these work quite well and were a significant improvement to me over the stock tips.

Congrats on the CK10's by the way!

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #1,032 of 1,585
thank you!...so monster tri flanges/sony hybrids where should i get them from ??? any other tips i should try?

Quote:
The stock tips really are not great for the CK10's. I would recommend the Monster tri-flange or fake monster tri flanges, those are the only tri flange I have been able to get a decent fit with. Also, they are pretty "soft" and comfortable at least for me. If your looking for single flange I know the monster single flange fit as well also the sony hybrids, both of these work quite well and were a significant improvement to me over the stock tips.

Congrats on the CK10's by the way!

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #1,033 of 1,585
you won't feel the bass with the CK10s.  you'll hear more of it vs most other BA IEMs, but you won't get your head thumping.  that said, the ebay christmas trees someone posted a link to a few pages back work great for me.  it improved the sound a bit.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #1,034 of 1,585
One month and 1000 posts...only on Head-fi. :p

I'm glad you're liking the CK10.  To me, they are one of the most technically "correct" earphones on the market, well as long as you cut out the massive treble peak at 10kHz, it's narrow but a solid 9dB which is ridiculous and very noticeable.  It makes the treble a bit hot and spitty at times.  The drivers used in the CK10 are very good and some of the fastest, most detailed, and well textured BA drivers on the market.  I do feel the CK10 falls short in a couple areas though.  For one, sound stage.  It isn't great, at least when compared to a number of other products that actually do it better.  Second, they are a bit "passive."  What I mean by this is that they aren't really engaging, and you don't really get into the music like you do with some other earphones.  I feel it has some to do with the lack of shear power, authority, presence, the kind of stuff that can really pull you into the music.  Outside of those, the earphone is very "correct" in what it does.  Realism is outstanding.  Transparency is very good.  Texture and level of detail is extremely good.  Dynamic range is very good.  There's just a lot of things it actually does really, really well.  The funny part is at the end of the day I'd still rather listen to another earphone.  At the time, I had the CK10, RE252, Custom 3, MTPG, and UM3X.  Out of the bunch, the one I'd listen to most was the RE252.  It didn't have the EQing need on the top end, and it was more engaging, although the dynamic, texture, and level of detail weren't quite as good.  The RE252 was more balanced, offered a little more bass punch, was more forward and engaging, and had good enough sound quality to step back to the CK10 although I see the CK10 as a better product from a functional standpoint.

Today I have a pile of earphones sitting around: UM3X, Triple.Fi 10, RE252, RE262, e-Q7, CK100, and Custom 3.  I still see the RE252 is a true reference level product.  At the same time I haven't used another earphone as technically "correct" as the CK10.  If you want to hear an absolutely amazing dynamic driver, try the RE262.  It is godly, however the earphone itself isn't as balanced as the RE252 and at the end of the day the RE252 is 90% the RE262 at a little lower cost better balanced and simply works better over a wider range of music.  The RE262 driver is godly though and is more effortless, transparent, and realistic than the RE252 which does make up for its bit of coloration.  I do often prefer my CK100 over everything else for general listening.  The RE252 and e-Q7 are my runners up.  It's incredibly well balanced, and has good heft and visceral sense to the notes.  Level of detail is high, but it doesn't have the texture and micro detail of the CK10.  In a sense, it is more laid back than the CK10.  It lacks the level of texture and dynamic breadth of the CK10.  The lack of texture is one significant shortfall of the CK100 actually but common among BA earphones.  The note isn't really too short or clean as it does carry good presence and heft, but notes simply aren't articulated much.  The CK100 does carry better presence and better sound stage than the CK10.  At $400 it's a pricey product.  As well, the new Westone 4 is out and is proving to be a well balanced product from the reviews.  I question if the CK100 is worth buying versus the new Westone 4 if you really have $400 to blow.

For your piece of mind, I will say the CK10 offers a presentation of sound that no other IEM on the market offers.  NOTHING has the level of micro detail and fine texturing that the CK10 has, nothing.  The level of realism is also extremely good on the CK10.  Realism of sound is something I find most earphones have trouble with.  Many simply lack some parts of the presentation or skew it in some significant to really flesh out the sound and make it believable. The CK10 is extremely good.  In these ways, the CK10 is better than the CK100.

If you're curious about the e-Q7, it too is nothing like the CK10.  The e-Q7 is good about a few things.  It has great overall frequency response balance, only very slightly mid-centric and slightly towards the lower mids and with a slightly smoothed off top end.  The e-Q7 offers excellent texturing, a thing I really like to see in an earphone.  It just helps flesh out the sound and helps provide the finer details and information about the audible space.  The e-Q7 is slightly warm but natural and life-like.  The level of detail is ok, slightly laid back, slightly smooth, not muddy or anything but also not crisp and articulate.  It's a middle of the road presentation of detail.  Dynamic range is good, loud is loud but quiet is too quiet, often requiring you to turn up the earphone extra loud to actually make the subtle ques noticeable.  The earphone stops being as clean at very high outputs too, so its an unusual trade-off.  the e-Q7 is in some ways like the CK10 but as a smoothed down version without the hot top end and more bass presence.  In the end, the e-Q7 is more fun and engaging to listen to but less accurate and correct in presentation.  The good texture does often make it more revealing than the CK100 although the CK100 is a little more refined and detailed although the lack of texture bugs me. 

Where do the RE series sit?  The RE262 is a cleaner, leaner sound than the e-Q7 with more limitless breath.  the RE252 can sound more constrained and at times small or weak in comparison due to a relatively constrained dynamic range (don't think the driver likes the tiny enclosure).  Details and texturing on the RE262 are more subtle than the CK10.  The CK10 sort of tries to show you everything.  The RE262 simply has everything.  The coloration can be a moderate shortcoming though, and the RE252 comes across more balanced and with more breadth and presence at both ends.  The dynamics of the RE252 are opposite that of the e-Q7.  The e-Q7 shows loud fine but is super quiet with subtle information.  The RE252 shows the subtle information very well but is moderately constrained on the loud stuff.  The CK10 is much better balanced doing well with both, although it isn't as visceral as the e-Q7 or RE252.  The RE262 has no weakness in these areas.  Dynamics for the RE262 are effortless and very correct but also visceral too unlike the CK10.  Sound stage is better too.  It's hard not to get good things from an amazing driver though.  From a technical standpoint, if there was one that I would pit against the CK10, it would be the RE262, but they are significantly different in overall presentation.

My top 5 pretty much include all of these: CK10, RE252, RE262, e-Q7, and CK100.  They're all really good, excellently balanced for the most part, but offer different things in terms of sound signature and presentation of note.  Out of the bunch, the e-Q7 is probably the closest to the CK10 but a much smoothed down version and warm instead of with that hot treble.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #1,035 of 1,585
^^ one thing wrong with your post.  its been a month and a year 
tongue.gif

once again, an excellent read mvw2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back