Audio-Technica ATH-AP2000Ti - Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #241 of 299
Yes indeed, I have both. Originally I was going to replace the MSR7b with the AP2k but in the end I kept them as they are handy for using with my laptop and are more portable if space is limited in a backpack. The Ap2k is more extended in the bass without bleeding into the mids or being boomy. The mids and treble are more neutral with better soundstaging in depth and width.

I was looking for a closed back headphone that matched my HD800S and this was the closest I could find at the time. I have recently compared them with the Meze Liric which had a more extended bass but what felt like a more recessed treble so I kept the AP2k.
Did you write some sort of review by any chance? Where can I find the comparison with the Liric?

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #244 of 299
Got some new Mongrel cables for my AP2k from the folks at Oidio. Lovely quality and they have removed the final spikes from the treble region but yet without affecting the extension or any other part of the spectrum in fact. The main upside is the soundstage has opened up even further and the focus on individual voices and instruments is better focussed with better separation.

Apr 10, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #245 of 299
wait, there's a cable that's named "Mongrel"?

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #247 of 299
The chap who makes the cables said it reminded him about a dog he had which was a bit of a mixture of breeds and so then because his cables are offered in such a variety of options. I thought it was strange too, but the cables are excellent value...

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #248 of 299
Why is this thread only 17 pages? Are these headphones that terrible? I still really want to try them, especially if they truly sound like an upgraded, more mature version of the Msr7b.

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #249 of 299
Why is this thread only 17 pages? Are these headphones that terrible? I still really want to try them, especially if they truly sound like an upgraded, more mature version of the Msr7b.
I was wondering the same thing. I had the headphone but gave it to a friend recently for their 30th birthday since they are like a wall hack in first person shooters due to the amount of detail in them. The AP2000TI and WP900 are insanely detailed to the point that it feels like both are wall hacks for fps games. WP900 is less harsh/bright and more v shaped sounding while the AP2000TI is more harsh and overall closer to flat sounding. They're not completely neutral but from experience, bright headphones like the AP2000TI are not nearly as popular as v shaped ones.

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #250 of 299
I was wondering the same thing. I had the headphone but gave it to a friend recently for their 30th birthday since they are like a wall hack in first person shooters due to the amount of detail in them. The AP2000TI and WP900 are insanely detailed to the point that it feels like both are wall hacks for fps games. WP900 is less harsh/bright and more v shaped sounding while the AP2000TI is more harsh and overall closer to flat sounding. They're not completely neutral but from experience, bright headphones like the AP2000TI are not nearly as popular as v shaped ones.
I didn't find the WP900 overly detailed. Definitely a fun sound, but the mids were way too scooped. From what I've been told, the Ti isn't that much brighter than the WP900 and Msr7b. It may sound as such due to the level of resolution and detail retrieval.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #251 of 299
I didn't find the WP900 overly detailed. Definitely a fun sound, but the mids were way too scooped. From what I've been told, the Ti isn't that much brighter than the WP900 and Msr7b. It may sound as such due to the level of resolution and detail retrieval.
The WP900 is very detailed since I came from a Kennerton GH40, which sounds alot more laid back. I would say the treble is definitely alot higher on the AP2000TI but its not Sennheiser HD800 bright.

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #252 of 299
Although the AP2k came out at the same time as the ADX5000 it never seemed to get as much publicity or indeed reviews. Then the AKWT and AWAS came out quite soon afterwards and overshadowed the AP2k even further.

I liked them and felt they were a similar sounding headphone to the MSR7b but less edgy. The soundstage was a bit better and the bass was more evident too. I never found a reliable frequency graph for the AP2k so difficult to be definitive about where and how it differed to the MSR7b.

They were supposed to be a closed back version of the ADX5000 but I'm not sure if that is valid. Certainly they were a brighter sounding closed back than most but I haven't heard the WP900 so I cannot give you any comparison.

If you like the HD800 sound and wanted a pair of closed backs then they are probably about as close as you can get and I have looked and tried quite a few, but I think they will always remain a niche product.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #253 of 299
Why is this thread only 17 pages? Are these headphones that terrible?

I don't think that this is the case. Some products are less popular than others and don't get as much traction, that's all :wink:

Considering what these Audio-Technicas are, they should be more discussed I think.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 5, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #254 of 299
Nothing to do with quality of the headphones themselves, rather Audio-Technica don't market or hype their high-end gear like other companies do. You're unlikely to find their reps here spreading the word. They're low key and prefer to let the headphones speak for themselves.

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #255 of 299
The WP900 is very detailed since I came from a Kennerton GH40, which sounds alot more laid back. I would say the treble is definitely alot higher on the AP2000TI but its not Sennheiser HD800 bright.
Yeah, the WP900 did have pretty good resolution. Another member is letting me borrow his GH40, so it's weird you mentioned it. I agree, it's definitely a softer and laid back headphone in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back