Audio-Technica ATH-AP2000Ti - Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #287 of 299
Listening to it now, from a sound standpoint it sounds fine. The drums are upfront and have really good articulation. Electric guitar has body and is also upfront in the stage. Vocals aren't as loud as the drums and guitar but they are still level with them on the stage. Guitar solos jump in front of the drums. The static artifacts of the recording still come through but not harshly, they're there but don't distract. Pretty great overall if this is what you like but I wouldn't say headphones would suit this album best, definitely loud speakers. Neutral with full bass that has good punch. Clear and forward highs. I can definitely hear everything both the good and bad. I would assume that you wouldn't want a super detailed headphone with this music if you wanted to zone out. With this album these 2000ti's lean analytical.

I don't like describing headphones like this but since the entirety of the bass is so resolving and well presented, and the drop off at the start of the mids, I would lean toward a V shape. I think that with a lot of headphones, the bass and the low mids are glued together in a consistent slope, not the case with these. A U shaped headphone would be more relaxed in the bass to mids transition and here its very distinct and almost like two levels of a plateau. But both levels are far from the floor of the canyon (ie a recession in the mids with nasty vocals). Listening to Trench by 21 pilots and its a very punchy and refined sound from a fun and punchy type of band. Definitely would say these are V shaped.
That's what I was getting at. There is a whole lot of flaws in this recording, including the overall production quality. I don't want to hear it front and center, detracting from the enjoyment. I prefer a headphone that can somewhat smooth this over, without a huge loss in resolution or being able to identify most everything that the song has to offer. Being that it's not warm, very articulate, with a good amount of presence region extension, I would think it sounds best with above average mastering.

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #292 of 299
Hello!
Interested in this question.
How will this headphone model sound with 3.5 players?
Do they need the power that a balanced output gives?

ap2000ti have slightly higher impedance and lower sensitivity than a typical mobile headphone but they are relatively easy to drive IME (maybe in a similar category as PortaPros)

Also will note that balanced/single-end does not necessarily connote output power, which really depends on the specific design of a device. There are plenty of single end sources with high output power.

Nov 16, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #294 of 299
Got the AT AT2000Ti, along with the Fostex TH900 and the DCA Aeon 2.. these 3 together pretty much cover all the bases. You want super airy sparkling high end? That's the AT2000Tis. You want super slamming low end? That's the TH900s. You want general balanced detailed tuning all around with a decent soundstage? That's the DCA Aeon 2s...

Attachments

• 20231116_150117.jpg
    20231116_150117.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 21, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #295 of 299
I recently had the chance to listen to the HD820 and imo I find the AP2000ti to be the better headphone in most areas. The AP2Kti has a more cohesive signature and while both are on the brighter side I like how the AT sounds in the treble more than the Senn. The HD820 isn't a bad headphone but it's missing some dynamics comparatively and that's funny to say because I wouldn't call the AP2Kti an overly dynamic-sounded headphone but it is better in that regard than the 820 is imo.

I still would love to hear the ATH-AWKT because if it sounds as good as it looks I know I'm going to love it. Maybe after Xmas, I'll bite the bullet and just get a pair because I don't know when I'll ever have the chance to listen to one. I'll probably have to sell a headphone to help with the cost but it's about time I do that anyways.

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #296 of 299
I recently had the chance to listen to the HD820 and imo I find the AP2000ti to be the better headphone in most areas. The AP2Kti has a more cohesive signature and while both are on the brighter side I like how the AT sounds in the treble more than the Senn. The HD820 isn't a bad headphone but it's missing some dynamics comparatively and that's funny to say because I wouldn't call the AP2Kti an overly dynamic-sounded headphone but it is better in that regard than the 820 is imo.

I still would love to hear the ATH-AWKT because if it sounds as good as it looks I know I'm going to love it. Maybe after Xmas, I'll bite the bullet and just get a pair because I don't know when I'll ever have the chance to listen to one. I'll probably have to sell a headphone to help with the cost but it's about time I do that anyways.
What music genres do you listen to most?
How does the AP2000ti compare to the Sundara and Focal Elegia?

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #297 of 299

Hmmm still better if you could try the AWKT first as its quite different from the AP2kTi. AWKT imo is more vocal forward and natrual sounding. While its also quite dynamic sounding it doesnt sound boosted like the AP2K and also more diffuse sounding over the compressed and intense AP2K. One good thing imo that the AWKT has is that it showcases fine microdetail at its natural volume nicely.

While it isnt warm by AT woodie standards it might sound a tad dark.

Either way its nice that you would consider joining our cult.

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #298 of 299
Got the AT AT2000Ti, along with the Fostex TH900 and the DCA Aeon 2.. these 3 together pretty much cover all the bases. You want super airy sparkling high end? That's the AT2000Tis. You want super slamming low end? That's the TH900s. You want general balanced detailed tuning all around with a decent soundstage? That's the DCA Aeon 2s...
Please pour it all into one glass for me and mix thoroughly. Yes, and a straw, please. Happy holidays everyone, God bless you all!:beerchug:

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #299 of 299
Hmmm still better if you could try the AWKT first as its quite different from the AP2kTi. AWKT imo is more vocal forward and natrual sounding. While its also quite dynamic sounding it doesnt sound boosted like the AP2K and also more diffuse sounding over the compressed and intense AP2K. One good thing imo that the AWKT has is that it showcases fine microdetail at its natural volume nicely.

While it isnt warm by AT woodie standards it might sound a tad dark.

Either way its nice that you would consider joining our cult.
I thought about maybe getting the AWAS but since it uses the same driver as the AP2K (53mm DLC) I think I'll pass on that. I think I'll enjoy the AWKT and if I need a little boost in the bass I can always eq it up a bit. Either way it's going to be a little while tell I'd get a pair and who knows what may catch my eye until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back