Audio-Technica ATH-AP2000Ti - Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #256 of 299
Although the AP2k came out at the same time as the ADX5000 it never seemed to get as much publicity or indeed reviews. Then the AKWT and AWAS came out quite soon afterwards and overshadowed the AP2k even further.

I liked them and felt they were a similar sounding headphone to the MSR7b but less edgy. The soundstage was a bit better and the bass was more evident too. I never found a reliable frequency graph for the AP2k so difficult to be definitive about where and how it differed to the MSR7b.

They were supposed to be a closed back version of the ADX5000 but I'm not sure if that is valid. Certainly they were a brighter sounding closed back than most but I haven't heard the WP900 so I cannot give you any comparison.

If you like the HD800 sound and wanted a pair of closed backs then they are probably about as close as you can get and I have looked and tried quite a few, but I think they will always remain a niche product.
Your comments are keeping my desire alive. Similar sound to the Msr7b, but a little less edgy. Better soundstage, more low end - sounds perfect to me.

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #257 of 299
Nothing to do with quality of the headphones themselves, rather Audio-Technica don't market or hype their high-end gear like other companies do. You're unlikely to find their reps here spreading the word. They're low key and prefer to let the headphones speak for themselves.
Very true, plus their products are more popular in Japan. All the used sets on fleabay are from Japan. I don't think I've ever seen a pair pop up in the classifieds.

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #258 of 299
I've had my AP2Kti for almost 2 years now and they're still one of my favorite headphones. They are on the brighter side but I don't find them to be harsh at all and the detail retrieval is as good as any headphone I've had. Like some have said if you're looking for a closed-back HD800 these are pretty close and have a much better bass response than the 800 as well.

Jul 6, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #259 of 299
I've had my AP2Kti for almost 2 years now and they're still one of my favorite headphones. They are on the brighter side but I don't find them to be harsh at all and the detail retrieval is as good as any headphone I've had. Like some have said if you're looking for a closed-back HD800 these are pretty close and have a much better bass response than the 800 as well.
Thank you. I've read all of your comments on a few different forums.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #260 of 299
For what it is, the Ap2000ti is just a tad too specialized IMO, both AWKT and ADX5000 simply covers wider range of genre and use case without sacrificing much in the way of unique strong points like the magical vocal Audio technica is known for.
Like for example, I just Love the mids on the MSR7B, but those have nonexistent bass compared to DSR9BT And MDR 1AM2.
It got substantially worse for the higher priced Ap2000ti, the competition is just too fierce on 1k usd price point these days.

Besides, I've never known a Titanium Audio Technica that ever actually achieved mass market appeal.
CKR10, 2000ti, ES10, CKM 1000, IEX1 all flagship models, try as they might, they often ended up falling to obscurity. Some even had their lower range sibling stealing their limelight.
It's to the point I start to wonder why they bother to keep doing this year by year.
Watching Lachlanlikesathing's video of a short interview of AP2000TI, CK2000Ti, and CM2000Ti's designer, basically the family line the AP2000Ti belong to, and he said "it's in our tradition" alongside "light and very durable" as his reasoning, not for any of its beneficial sound property.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #261 of 299
For what it is, the Ap2000ti is just a tad too specialized IMO, both AWKT and ADX5000 simply covers wider range of genre and use case without sacrificing much in the way of unique strong points like the magical vocal Audio technica is known for.
Like for example, I just Love the mids on the MSR7B, but those have nonexistent bass compared to DSR9BT And MDR 1AM2.
It got substantially worse for the higher priced Ap2000ti, the competition is just too fierce on 1k usd price point these days.

Besides, I've never known a Titanium Audio Technica that ever actually achieved mass market appeal.
CKR10, 2000ti, ES10, CKM 1000, IEX1 all flagship models, try as they might, they often ended up falling to obscurity. Some even had their lower range sibling stealing their limelight.
It's to the point I start to wonder why they bother to keep doing this year by year.
Watching Lachlanlikesathing's video of a short interview of AP2000TI, CK2000Ti, and CM2000Ti's designer, basically the family line the AP2000Ti belong to, and he said "it's in our tradition" alongside "light and very durable" as his reasoning, not for any of its beneficial sound property.
What got substantially worse 2000Ti? The AWAS and AWKT aren't really portable.

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #262 of 299
I mean the AP2000Ti is just too specialized for what it offered at, it's titanium housing has almost never hit its mark I don't understand why Audio Technica keep making headphones out of tne metal.
Hifiman got good offering on much lower price, even if I don't want to say that (I hate the R like with passion)
Then Denon, Sony, etc. Etc

Aug 27, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #263 of 299
I mean the AP2000Ti is just too specialized for what it offered at, it's titanium housing has almost never hit its mark I don't understand why Audio Technica keep making headphones out of tne metal.
Hifiman got good offering on much lower price, even if I don't want to say that (I hate the R like with passion)
Then Denon, Sony, etc. Etc
Specialized how? Tuning, build?

Aug 27, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #264 of 299
In my opinion, Audio-Technica did the right thing when they released the AWKT, AP2000Ti and AWAS with different sound options. I think it's pretty pointless to argue which one is better and which one is worse. It's just a matter of preference.

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #265 of 299
In my opinion, Audio-Technica did the right thing when they released the AWKT, AP2000Ti and AWAS with different sound options. I think it's pretty pointless to argue which one is better and which one is worse. It's just a matter of preference.
Always preference indeed.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #266 of 299

The AP2k is transportable whereas the other 2 ATs you mention are not. Also they a a lot more expensive but you say the AP2k is too much money. I think the AP2k is a great closed back headphone for the money but that's just my thought. I don't understand what you mean by your comment about it being "too specialized".

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #267 of 299
The AP2k is transportable whereas the other 2 ATs you mention are not. Also they a a lot more expensive but you say the AP2k is too much money. I think the AP2k is a great closed back headphone for the money but that's just my thought. I don't understand what you mean by your comment about it being "too specialized".
Maybe, but the AP2000Ti family, of which the IEM CK2000Ti, and Earbuds CM2000Ti's is also part of is particularly unexceptional for being the flagship of Audio Technica for a time. They felt like a "stepping stone" models before a bigger flagship is released over them, they barely had any good press for their lifetime.
Im not hating or anything, I love my M70x, which from impressions should be what the AP2000Ti is closest to, would like to try the bigger brother, but even I must admit the tuning they have is very niche.

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #268 of 299
The AP2k is still one of my favorite headphones in my collection and I still use them every week at least for a few hours. I love their sound signature and the fact they are pretty portable is also a big plus in my book and I have used them on road trips a few times. All in all just a great headphone worth it's price imo.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #269 of 299
Okay folks, I just got a pair of the AP2000Tis in like new condition yesterday as a partial trade for some gear I was selling. I haven't had the time to listen to them for more than about an hour thus far, but I really like what I have heard so far. They don't sound enough like any of my current pairs to be redundant and based on some preliminary impressions, I expect that they'll actually fit nicely into my current lineup.

That said, I tend to listen for extended multiple to sometimes many hours long sessions which presents a minor problem. The earpads on the AP2000Tis (mine have the stock pair and I've been told they have less than 20hrs use on them) don't actually fit around my ears so when wearing them I have to either have the pads sitting partially on the back side of my ears or I have to kinda wedge my ears inside. For shorter sessions this would be fine, but at the end if approximately an hour of listening yesterday with my ears wedge inside they had begun to become quite sore along the back outer edge. When I leave the pads sitting on top of the outer edge of my ear the seal and thus the sound are effected quite a bit.

I don't have this problem with the stock pads of any of the headphones I have listed in my sig or with any of the many pairs of Dekoni, Brainwavs, Geekria, etc circumaural pads I have used. Hopefully that info will be of use for anyone who may have suggestions for aftermarket earpads that I can use on the AP2000Tis.

I'm looking for pads that will be comfy for extended periods and not effect the sound all that much. Alternatively, pads that are comfy, but effect the sound a positive or potentially pleasing way would also work. If you all have any suggestions for me it would be greatly appreciated. If you suggest pads that effect the sound significantly in a positive way if you can please include a brief deacription of the sonic changes since that would obviously be a subjective thing that would be very helpful.

Aside from the pads, if anyone has any tips on source combos, great musical pairings you think a new AP2000Ti owner should hear, or any other helpful advice or relevant tidbits feel free to post them as well. I'm all ears/eyes lol!😉

Thanks in advance for the suggestions, advice, and help! Cheers to what will hopefully be the beginning of a long and happy musical journey with the AP2000Tis!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back