Audio Technica ATH-AD900x Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #136 of 250
Took delivery on these things yesterday...I have to admit, these are some pretty funky phones man. Still evaluating the sound, but so far they have a few qualities that I like. I can't help but feel ridiculous having them on my head, though lol. 

They play pretty clean overall, but they're a bit more "in my head" than I prefer. Draulius above mentioned AKG...I'd have to say that's the headphone these most remind me of so far...the AKG Q701, except without that awful high end harshness. These are similar sounding in the low end as the AKGs, as well, at least to my ears. 

Early impressions are that these are solid headphones at this price point. Nothing special, nothing that fails to deliver...just a solid buy. 

When I buy headphones I like to give them a role. A headphone that doesn't end up with one usually collects dust or gets shown the door. I'm thinking these might be perfect for the role I had initially slated for the HD700s before I decided to sell them - my bedtime headphone. I sleep on my back and rarely move throughout, so I often like to fall asleep with headphones on. These may end up being too clunky since they feel a little big on my head (and I'm 6'2", 300lb), but they are light and comfortable. I also think they'll likely do a good job of staying in place, whereas some headphones shift off my head when I'm lying down. 

Anyway, I'm glad I picked these up. Good buy. 

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #137 of 250
Draulius above mentioned AKG...I'd have to say that's the headphone these most remind me of so far...the AKG Q701, except without that awful high end harshness.

I actually have a K712 Pro on the way. When it arrives I'm going to compare it with my AD700 I've had for years. Hopefully the high end doesn't bother me like you mention. I'm going to burn them in and see whether or not it's an issue still. If it is I'm probably going to get an Audio-Technica ATH-AD900X instead. I'll also review the soundstage differences.

EDIT: I've made the comparison in The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread (page 260).

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #138 of 250
So I bought these a little while ago for gaming, and while I love the sound, I have a bit of a problem. I was planning on buying the v moda boom pro mic to use these on my ps4, but since the cable is non-detachable I don't know what to do. Do any of you guys know how I can handle this?

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #139 of 250
So I bought these a little while ago for gaming, and while I love the sound, I have a bit of a problem. I was planning on buying the v moda boom pro mic to use these on my ps4, but since the cable is non-detachable I don't know what to do. Do any of you guys know how I can handle this?

This might work: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434754393&sr=8-1&keywords=headphone+mic

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #141 of 250
Has anyone been able to compare these with the Audio-Technica AD2000x? I was wondering how big of an upgrade that really is, or if it sacrifices anything.

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #142 of 250
I just got the AD900X and thought I'd share some of my first impressions (pre-burn-in, so take this all for the grain of salt it's worth).  I purchased them from buydig.com (a.k.a. Beach Camera, an authorized reseller) for US$134.

My take on construction is that these are decent, not great.  I doubt they'll fall apart any time soon, but there's nothing special about the materials.

Regarding fit, they fit my head just fine but, as some have noted, the seal at the top of the earpads could be a little tighter.  With that said, they didn't slip down my ears.  Using my daughter's hairband around the "wings" to pull them together solved the problem, and the tighter seal also slightly enhanced the bass.  Unfortunately, though, the earpads do not breath well, and the tighter fit also resulted in extra perspiration.  I also noticed that I had a tendency to place the headphones too far back on my earlobes, which adversely affects sound given the angle of the drivers.

As for sound, I made no EQ adjustments, so keep that in mind with all my observations.  When I first put them on, the AD900X sounded like any closed-back set of cans--very intimate with little sense of spaciousness.  My whole reason for purchasing the AD900X was the "airy" sound described by so many owners, and I heard none of that.  As expected, though, after about an hour of use, the sound started to change and gave me a glimpse of what these will sound like after burn-in.  Long ago, I had a set of Stax Lambdas that unfortunately went kaput, but my memory of their soundstage is that it was similar to what I'm hearing out of the AD900X as things loosen up.

I compared the AD900X with my closed-back Denon AH-D2000s with favorable but mixed feelings.  The A-Ts hold their own quite well, but aren't as analytical as the Denons.  On the flip side, the A-Ts are a lot more "fun" to listen to.  I suspect that if I had to choose, I'd normally pick the AD900X for the soundstage if nothing else.  I also have access to the ATH-M50x but wasn't able to compare them.  I'll be curious to do so after burn-in.

Bass (or lack thereof) seems to be a big issue with prospective purchasers.  I listen to just about every type of music you can imagine, and let me say that these have plenty of bass . . . with an adequate amplifier.  On paper, they look like they should be easy to drive, but I could get very little out of them using a phone (OnePlus One).  To say the bass was thin would be an understatement.  Even using a small digital amp (Dayton Audio DTA-120) did not help much.  Only when switching to my receiver (Pioneer VSX-23TXH) did the bass suddenly come alive.  I can only assume the bass will improve after I have time to burn these in, but I have no complaints about the bass when plugged into a more powerful source.

Only the whole, I'd say I got an excellent set of cans for a very reasonable price.

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #143 of 250
Hi!

I'm interested in buying these headphones, though I have a couple of questions in mind.

First one, I didn't find many people who listen to rock and metal that comment on the sound. I'm not a bass-head, so the 'lack of bass' or whatever shouldn't be a problem, but I'd prefer if someone that listens to various kinds of rock and metal to comment on them, how do they sound. Bands like Asia, Boston, Rainbow, Dio, Iron Maiden, Nightwish from the rock area to bands like In Flames, Insomnium, Wintersun, Children of Bodom from metal.

Second one, I notice some people mention it along this thread, the not-detachable cable. To be honest, I'm really afraid to spend so much money on my first good headphones and then to discover that the cord is problematic. It's a nightmare for me that one cup would stop working, or that I'll have to jiggle and tweak the 3.5 mm jack in order to catch the right position.
Did anyone encounter this issue with this kind of headphones? I see this thread goes as far as 2013. I'd like to hear from people that used these headphones and still have them if the cord is still working. Or if someone's cord made problems and they've replaced it, it would be wonderful to see the "how-to-do".

To continue my second question, is there an amp or an option to keep the headphones and the speakers both connected and then switch the sound from one to another keeping them both always connected and not playing around with plugging-unplugging the jacks? The headphones are going to stay always near my PC, I do not intend on moving with them from place to place, just keeping them in my room. How do you, people solve this issue? Or you just plugging-unplugging them whenever you need to switch?

Thank you very much!

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #144 of 250
Hi!

I'm interested in buying these headphones, though I have a couple of questions in mind.

First one, I didn't find many people who listen to rock and metal that comment on the sound. I'm not a bass-head, so the 'lack of bass' or whatever shouldn't be a problem, but I'd prefer if someone that listens to various kinds of rock and metal to comment on them, how do they sound. Bands like Asia, Boston, Rainbow, Dio, Iron Maiden, Nightwish from the rock area to bands like In Flames, Insomnium, Wintersun, Children of Bodom from metal.

Second one, I notice some people mention it along this thread, the not-detachable cable. To be honest, I'm really afraid to spend so much money on my first good headphones and then to discover that the cord is problematic. It's a nightmare for me that one cup would stop working, or that I'll have to jiggle and tweak the 3.5 mm jack in order to catch the right position.
Did anyone encounter this issue with this kind of headphones? I see this thread goes as far as 2013. I'd like to hear from people that used these headphones and still have them if the cord is still working. Or if someone's cord made problems and they've replaced it, it would be wonderful to see the "how-to-do".

To continue my second question, is there an amp or an option to keep the headphones and the speakers both connected and then switch the sound from one to another keeping them both always connected and not playing around with plugging-unplugging the jacks? The headphones are going to stay always near my PC, I do not intend on moving with them from place to place, just keeping them in my room. How do you, people solve this issue? Or you just plugging-unplugging them whenever you need to switch?

Thank you very much!

I've had them about that long and no issues. Still sound great and have been used and abused without complaint. The non detachable cable has never been noticed except if I try and curl it up...rather stiff.

I don't know of any desktop amp that allows you to manually switch the output as you ask; I simply unplug my headphones.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #145 of 250
I've had them about that long and no issues. Still sound great and have been used and abused without complaint. The non detachable cable has never been noticed except if I try and curl it up...rather stiff.

I don't know of any desktop amp that allows you to manually switch the output as you ask; I simply unplug my headphones.

That's good. It's very promising. Do you connect them directly to your computer or you're hooking them through an amp or something?
Have you tried any rock-metal music, or it isn't your style?

Thanks.

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #147 of 250
I use the Fiio E07K docked into the E09K.

Listen to some rock, but mostly older stuff. Think last century/millennium.

Wooh, expensive stuff. I think I cannot allow myself this much for one time. Do you think it'd work with my Asus Xonar 5.1 DGX?
How's the old rock? I listen to this myself. If you can list up some bands it'd be great for me to compare.

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #148 of 250

Thank you very much!

We use the ARTcessories HeadAmp4
http://www.amazon.com/ART-HeadAMP4-Output-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000M0TN6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443880593&sr=8-1&keywords=headamp4
They are sometimes available on Ebay at a discount.
It has one input and four outputs.
Each input/output can accept both a 1/8" and 1/4" plug.  There are four volume controls on the front, one for each output.
It is solidly built and we have been using it for a few years.

COMPUTER
We have speakers plugged into one output, and a headphone plugged into one output.

TV
We have another one in the living room to use with the TV.  My spouse is partially deaf, and listens via headphones.  I can listen from the TV speakers or from the speakers attached to the Yamaha receiver from the TV.  I also have my own headphone from the HeadAmp.

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #149 of 250
It may be a stupid question but I'm still not very at ease with the notion of amp and gain. So looking at the Objective2 on Massdrop that is relatively cheap, I'm asking myself "must I buy it?" I read from time to time that it's not recommend to run your headphones directly out from the DAC, what I'v been doing with my ODAC since like maybe 6 months, so here's the idea to get an amp (btw I bought the ODAC because the audio jack on my laptop would not stop to break (and I'm not even tough on it)). But isn't the 2.5x low gain of the o2 on massdrop like overkill for the ath-ad900x and it's likely bring disavantage to the sound? Or I'm wrong? Or I'm right and better get an o2 elsewhere with personalized gain setting of 1x and 2.5x? (or also is clipping resistors an option if I need lower gain?)

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #150 of 250
I can't really find any difference between my Razer Electra, and AD900X.
Is there something wrong with my ears? I'm serious btw, I can already hear people calling me a troll

With flac, with an amp, It's never like, ahhhh its clearly different! Nahh I mean I guess they sound different.
I mean the Electra has BOOMY BASS, but after I EQ that out slightly (cuz I cant stand boomy bass). Then theres really no clear difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back