Audio Technica ATH-A900XLTD vs ATH-W1000X
Dec 21, 2013 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm tempted to swap out my current ATH-A900X (Velour pads) headphones for the ATH-A900XLTD or ATH-W1000X.
The price is the same.
Anyone have any ideas on how those two headphones (A900XLTD & W1000X) would compare to each other?

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 13
Im not sure how much both headphones are currently retailing in your area, but when I was in Japan 1 week back, the W1000X is around 1.5x~2x the price of the A900XLTD

Take my impressions with a pinch of salt, cause i auditioned them both in a noisy departmental store and using whatever music that was played through the common cd player

Treble: Both W1000X and A900XLTD, have very smooth treble, although the W1000X sounds alittle more refined, however, this little difference is still pretty easy to pick out. Didnt hear any distortion or sibilance with both. Compared both with W5000 as well, and I gotta say i pretty much prefer the A900XLTD treble over the W5000, which was sibilant and the 'sss' sound is very prominent. W1000X>A900XLTD>W5000

Mids: Hard to point out who comes out tops. W1000X just sounds alittle sweeter than A900XLTD. My jaws dropped when i listened to this jap vocal song through the w1000x and almost got the same reaction when i put on the A900XLTD. Both are clear, detailed and lush-sounding. A draw in my books

Bass: W1000X have quite a fair bit of mid-bass as compared to A900XLTD, which appears much more tame in the bass region. Bass is not a strong point in both headphones, but i prefer W1000X, for slightly more quantity of bass, which i felt makes it more viable or versatile for pop songs. Of course, both aren't really that fast or tight either. W1000X>A900XLTD

If your looking for limited edition stuff, no doubt, the A900XLTD is a great choice, plus the wine red cups are sexy as hell

W1000X is a step up from A900XLTD, but the difference isn't that big between both. W1000X just sounds more refined at both ends of the frequency spectrum, mids are a tie though

In the end, i bought the W1000X, where i pretty much prefer the woody aesthetics as compared to the wine red cups and also the sound signature of it

I would say, head down to your nearest store and audition them both, they are more similar than different
darthsmile.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 13
  I'm not sure how much both headphones are currently retailing in your area, but when I was in Japan 1 week back, the W1000X is around 1.5x~2x the price of the A900XLTD
Take my impressions with a pinch of salt, cause i auditioned them both in a noisy departmental store and using whatever music that was played through the common cd player
W1000X is a step up from A900XLTD, but the difference isn't that big between both. W1000X just sounds more refined at both ends of the frequency spectrum, mids are a tie though
In the end, i bought the W1000X, where i pretty much prefer the woody aesthetics as compared to the wine red cups and also the sound signature of it
I would say, head down to your nearest store and audition them both, they are more similar than different
darthsmile.gif

Can't audition them, currently I could order ether one for $380.
Did you notice any difference when it came to the ear pads?

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 13
  Can't audition them, currently I could order ether one for $380.
Did you notice any difference when it came to the ear pads?

If it was down to me, both for the same price, I would pick W1000X over A900XLTD

For earpads, not much of a difference...Both were very comfortable

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 13
A900XLTD has a much brighter sound and slightly less bass. It suits DAP with warm and laid-back SQ. It will be overly bright under desktop system unless you drive it with tube amps. Overall, for Asian female acoustic, W1000x has much more relaxing sound and of more potential. 

If you use it at home, go for w1000x. A900XLTD is better for portable use. There is no need to drive A900xltd with amp. My meier quickstep does not make it a lot better compared to ipod classics' phone out.

As for earpads, if you change it, the sound will change. Then it is personal flavor issue. However, one thing is worth mentioning. A900XLTD has a much higher clamping force. It is quite tight on my head. On the other hand, W1000X is a bit too lose.

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 13
  A900XLTD has a much brighter sound and slightly less bass. It suits DAP with warm and laid-back SQ. It will be overly bright under desktop system unless you drive it with tube amps. Overall, for Asian female acoustic, W1000x has much more relaxing sound and of more potential. 

If you use it at home, go for w1000x. A900XLTD is better for portable use. There is no need to drive A900xltd with amp. My meier quickstep does not make it a lot better compared to ipod classics' phone out.

As for earpads, if you change it, the sound will change. Then it is personal flavor issue. However, one thing is worth mentioning. A900XLTD has a much higher clamping force. It is quite tight on my head. On the other hand, W1000X is a bit too lose.

My ATH-W1000X arrived last week.

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 13
Mar 24, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 13
My (used) W1000Xs arrived a few weeks ago and they do sound nice.
Might like to swap the ear pads for something a little more comfortable.

May 18, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #13 of 13
  is there any difference between the a900x and a900xltd?

The A900XLTD is a limited edition model with only 2000 sets released worldwide.
The A900XLTD comes In a very nice scarlet red colour with a touch of gold.
The earpads of the A900XLTD are softer than the A900X.
There are other small minor differences in terms of specifications, but most importantly,

There is a big difference in terms of sound too. But I have not listened to the A900X for an extended period of time so I cannot give you any impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back