Audio Technica ATH-A900X vs Audio Technica ATH-W1000x?
Feb 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Toxicman1994

New Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade from my ATH A900X and I don't know where to turn. If anyone wants to recommend a non-Audio Technica headphone that's perfectly fine too, but I'm just comfortable with ADT. Can anyone tell me if the ATH-W1000x is good enough (better than the A900X) to justify a purchase?

Anyone heard both?

Or what about the ATH-W5000? Any thoughts? 

Thanks. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff but I love the sound I'm getting from my A900X's

:p

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 11
I would look at other cans in the $200 to $300 price category.

You have a very nice set of headphones but going up to the $800 and higher price bracket won't necesarily give you what you want ....especially if you're a noob as you say.

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 11
  I am looking to upgrade from my ATH A900X and I don't know where to turn. If anyone wants to recommend a non-Audio Technica headphone that's perfectly fine too, but I'm just comfortable with ADT. Can anyone tell me if the ATH-W1000x is good enough (better than the A900X) to justify a purchase?
Anyone heard both?
Or what about the ATH-W5000? Any thoughts? 
Thanks. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff but I love the sound I'm getting from my A900X's

I've been thinking of replacing my A900X with the W1000X.
What sources are you plugging the headphone into?

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 11
Honestly I owned the A900x and I still own my W1000x

if you like the A900x the W1000x is a NICE easy upgrade. The W5000 I've not heard , but grab your self a W1000x and enjoy :3

they don't need a lot of power so the E6 should be more than enough! 

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 11

Sorry to drag this one up from the dead, but I have similar questions.

I get a lot of mixed impressions on the AT woodies. Some people seem to say they have good bassiness, some people seem to think they are too slow and smooth for modern rock/pop, some people say they aren't bassy enough, etc. Everyone seems to agree they have the normal great AT mids.

I have the A900x and I love them, they currently are by far my favourite headphone that I have. I'm trying to buy some woodies to sample - the JVC Victor DX700, a Denon AH-D5000 and one of the AT woodies but I'm not sure if it's worth the comparison or if it's just too different from what I'm looking for.

At the Sydney meet I was able to listen tot he L3000 which I loved, and the W100 which I enjoyed but wouldn't buy if it was available. I do own the ESW9 which I find really rich and organic sounding but generally too dark for everday listening (I prefer my DT1350) so I'm not sure what I am likely to experience and don't quite want to drop the money on an another unknown.

Any more insight would be very appreciated.

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 11
I get a lot of mixed impressions on the AT woodies. Some people seem to say they have good bassiness, some people seem to think they are too slow and smooth for modern rock/pop, some people say they aren't bassy enough, etc. Everyone seems to agree they have the normal great AT mids.
I have the A900x and I love them, they currently are by far my favorite headphone that I have. I'm trying to buy some woodies to sample - the JVC Victor DX700, a Denon AH-D5000 and one of the AT woodies but I'm not sure if it's worth the comparison or if it's just too different from what I'm looking for.
At the Sydney meet I was able to listen tot he L3000 which I loved, and the W100 which I enjoyed but wouldn't buy if it was available. I do own the ESW9 which I find really rich and organic sounding but generally too dark for everyday listening (I prefer my DT1350) so I'm not sure what I am likely to experience and don't quite want to drop the money on an another unknown.

I own the ATH-A900X. with Hifiman HE Velour ear pads
And also own the ATH-W1000X.
The W1000X offers a better "quality" bass, over the A900Xs, which is not what "bassheads" (loud thumping bass) are necessarily looking for.
I guess you could say the W1000X's bass is a little more "realistic".
I was really lucky and found some used W1000Xs in really good condition, for under $300.
So be patient and just keep watching eBay and Head-Fi's "Headphones for Sale" thread.

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 11
I own the ATH-A900X. with Hifiman HE Velour ear pads
And also own the ATH-W1000X.
The W1000X offers a better "quality" bass, over the A900Xs, which is not what "bassheads" (loud thumping bass) are necessarily looking for.
I guess you could say the W1000X's bass is a little more "realistic".
I was really lucky and found some used W1000Xs in really good condition, for under $300.
So be patient and just keep watching eBay and Head-Fi's "Headphones for Sale" thread.

And as such you now prefer the w1000x? That is what I am reading but want to make sure :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 11
And as such you now prefer the W1000X? That is what I am reading but want to make sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, currently I own around 16 headphones and the ATH-W1000X are my preferred headphones, for use with my Win PC (plugged into a Audio-GD NFB-15.32).
I still use my A900Xs once in a while.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 11

I have the A900x and I love them, they currently are by far my favourite headphone that I have. I'm trying to buy some woodies to sample - the JVC Victor DX700, a Denon AH-D5000 and one of the AT woodies but I'm not sure if it's worth the comparison or if it's just too different from what I'm looking for.

At the Sydney meet I was able to listen tot he L3000 which I loved, and the W100 which I enjoyed but wouldn't buy if it was available. I do own the ESW9 which I find really rich and organic sounding but generally too dark for everday listening (I prefer my DT1350) so I'm not sure what I am likely to experience and don't quite want to drop the money on an another unknown.

A - Please no JVC Victor DX700, or even DX1000. They have insufficient treble and resolution compared to Audio Technicas.
B - Audio Technica new headphones, W1000Z - which are supposed to be improved W1000X, will hit the stores on the 21st November.
- http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201410/16/35756.html [you need google translate app.]
- http://www.head-fi.org/t/738652/new-audio-technica-woodies-ath-w1000z-announced
C - If you want the best upgrade then get yourself W3000ANV, wait for somebody to sell it because these headphones are out of production. Some dealers still sell them, only a few of them, and they cost 300-400 dollars more than used ones.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 11

Yes, currently I own around 16 headphones and the ATH-W1000X are my preferred headphones, for use with my Win PC (plugged into a Audio-GD NFB-15.32).
I still use my A900Xs once in a while.

*high Fives*

I have to admit, the W1000x doesn't get to much home use, sadly out of my NFb 10ES2 it's much to bright and shrill, how ever out of the HM801 it's a god send! It is my Portable Headphone, and I'm hard pressed to find an upgrade to it atm :/ 

my biggest worry is what happens when my HM801 dies, I might try the HM 901 as I hear it's still "fun" and "dark" when compared to stuff like the AK 240 and such, or maybe the HM 802

That said though, it is a very good headphone and I think it'll make a nice upgrade to the AD 900X, I had the 900X and it was very fun the W1000X is a little more balanced and still has a nice bass kick to it! A slight Mid bass hump keeps it fun and a little modding keeps it super light on it's toes

How ever... the W1000Z [yes Z] is out, and it has bigger plush pads and they mention something about bass... rather often, so I'm curious as to how it will sound... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back