Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Mar 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #61 of 751
Just recieved my set from the BuyDig sale, doing the burn-in right now. My question is that since this is replacing some truly awful Logitech G35s (yeah, I know) - I will need a new way to plug this into my desktop. So my question for you guys is this: Do I buy a dac/amp for this for my desktop/home use (Been eyeing the Modi + Magni), or do I get a nice sound card (Xonar STX, I suppose)? I don't use speakers, so using the DAC/amp would be fine, and I'd just plug the zalman mic into my onboard sound (which is atrocious for listening).

Ideas?

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #62 of 751
Quote:
Just recieved my set from the BuyDig sale, doing the burn-in right now. My question is that since this is replacing some truly awful Logitech G35s (yeah, I know) - I will need a new way to plug this into my desktop. So my question for you guys is this: Do I buy a dac/amp for this for my desktop/home use (Been eyeing the Modi + Magni), or do I get a nice sound card (Xonar STX, I suppose)? I don't use speakers, so using the DAC/amp would be fine, and I'd just plug the zalman mic into my onboard sound (which is atrocious for listening).

Ideas?

I have mine paired with the Modi/Magni and I love it.  For an extra $200 you can't go wrong!

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #63 of 751
Quote:
Just recieved my set from the BuyDig sale

Same.

These aren't even close to as bassy as I was expecting from impressions. Bass balance on my JH13s and especially HF-2s are far, far more heavy. Same with my Anthony Gallo Strada + SVS SB12-Plus speaker setup.

As I suspected, they are superb for gaming. An absolute steal for the $99; glad I canceled the $200 Ultrasone Pro 900s a couple of weeks back.

I might actually be able to sell my HF-2s now!

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #64 of 751
Quote:
Just scooped up these bad boys in the refurbished variety for $99 (after Visa $20 off promo code) yesterday from BuyDig. Are they sensitive enough to pick up hiss? That is the problem I had with my JH13s for desktop usage with my amplifier, so I am hoping these are better in that regard. I would use these predominantly for gaming. My HF-2s don't hiss through my Nova but they are unsuitable due to comfort issues.

Hiss/sibilance isn't an issue with the A900X in my opinion; the treble on these is about as unoffensive as it can get.

Quote:
I am curious as to whether or not there is a specific orientation for the ear-pads that maximizes comfort. If anyone knows the answer to this please share!

The drivers are angled, so there really is only one orientation and you'll figure it out pretty quickly. xD  Personally I've always found AT headphones to have some of the most comfortable cups/earpads design; the angled drivers means a lot of room in the rear, meaning the back of the ears don't get pressed on (this is actually a bit of an issue with the AKG K550 for me, despite the earpads on them being quite thick, my left ear starts hurting after a while because the plastic presses against it. No such issue with the A9X or A900X)

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #65 of 751
Quote:
Hiss/sibilance isn't an issue with the A900X in my opinion; the treble on these is about as unoffensive as it can get.

Wasn't talking about the treble but rather the tendency of them to pick up noise from, say, a device suffering from a ground loop.

Nonetheless they aren't sensitive enough. My JH13s pick up the noise floor (buzz) of my Nova right when plugged in; the A900X are dead silent throughout the volume range when nothing is playing.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #66 of 751
Quote:
As I said above, just do this:

and they'll turn into some of the most comfortable pair of headphones ever.

Just got these headphones in. Needless to say I immediately was looking for a fix like this. They really need to buff up the strength of the springs on the 3D wing system for these. I think the cups are just too heavy. I ended up using a hair tie. So if you've got a gal in your life beg to steal one of those. Worked perfect for me! 

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #67 of 751
Is the clamping tension insufficient? I find my pair have a considerable clamping force, although I have a very large head. I don't find that my cups slide down but I might try a hair tie and see if that makes any difference.

I find this significantly more comfortable than how I remember my ATH-ES7 being, even after my headband mod.

I find the fit nearly perfect and these only get uncomfortable after the ~45 minute mark around my jaw area; I think this might be due to clamping tension.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #68 of 751
Quote:
Is the clamping tension insufficient? I find my pair have a considerable clamping force, although I have a very large head. I don't find that my cups slide down but I might try a hair tie and see if that makes any difference.

I find this significantly more comfortable than how I remember my ATH-ES7 being, even after my headband mod.

I find the fit nearly perfect and these only get uncomfortable after the ~45 minute mark around my jaw area; I think this might be due to clamping tension.

It's not the clamp so much as the 3D wings on top. They just aren't strong enough to hold up the weight from the cups. I've owned other audio technica's that didn't have this issue.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #69 of 751
Using the band mod (hair band, wife's), does help immensely for me (small head, couldn't stand these winged AT's before). I echo what a previous poster said, less bass than I expected, actually disappointed. Thought that would be one of the plusses of the closed headphones (and what pushed me to these instead of the AD-900x). Maybe with some time and burn in will open up some in the bass department.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #70 of 751
Quote:

Adding the hair tie mod that everyone is talking about brought me to this basically. The fit is perfect however I too get the jaw pain from clamping right right around the 60-90 minute mark. Which is a real bummer because I can wear my 700s 8 hours no problem. Bleh.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #71 of 751
Quote:
I have mine paired with the Modi/Magni and I love it.  For an extra $200 you can't go wrong!

I just unboxed and plugged in the A900X into it. I have only one word for my first listen: Wow.

I thought the A900X was good before... but now. This is a whole new listening experience. The clarity and detail that are now present where none existed on previous listening is not simply imagined - it was abundantly clear from the first track (The Gaslight Anthem - "45" in flac through Foobar) that my listening to music has been fundamentally altered.

If anyone is on the fence about a Modi + Magni for these cans, don't walk, run to order a pair. They're that good.

Duckies

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #72 of 751
Quote:
 It's not the clamp so much as the 3D wings on top. They just aren't strong enough to hold up the weight from the cups. I've owned other audio technica's that didn't have this issue.

Quote:
Adding the hair tie mod that everyone is talking about brought me to this basically. The fit is perfect however I too get the jaw pain from clamping right right around the 60-90 minute mark. Which is a real bummer because I can wear my 700s 8 hours no problem. Bleh.

It's possible my pair got refurbished the "right" way or I have a huge noggin because my pair don't really drag down.

After a couple of hours of wear I no longer feel discomfort or aching -- perhaps some tension was relieved somewhere. They are comfortable through 2 hours of usage with the exception of some heat (a la closed headphones). I will give them a try for a longer session over the weekend. I am pretty sensitive to discomfort as I can't wear my HF-2s for more than a half hour, but the A900Xs are great for me.

So far I am very impressed for the money. I used to be afraid of spending money on headphones since the JH-13s (nothing really seemed worth it) but I have a hard time finding a complaint with these.

Don't mistake this for a comparison, but I could see myself enjoying these more than I did my ES7s and HD 25-1 IIs of yesteryear.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #73 of 751
Quote:
here is my solution for the fit issue: a rubber band between the wings. please note that that this is a very low tension rubber band, its not even tight when attached, but provides just enough extra tension when on my head.  I got these out of a package of mixed rubber bands from CVS.

Works great for me too!!

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #74 of 751
Just got these bad boys and paired them with my E11 and WOW these are awesome! Bass is perfect and mids are beautiful. Only complaint I have is the length of the cable. Anything I could do to make it shorter?

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #75 of 751
Coil it up a bit to the length you want and use a few rubber bands to keep it together. Twisty ties work even better if you have any lying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back