Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Mar 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #34 of 751
Found this on another thread regarding amps. Apparently the JDS Labs O2 works good with the A900X not sure on the C5
Audio Technica A900X - O2 (E12 adds too much warmth, and it makes the A900X sound congested, but note: A900X has a less open sound than my ES10...)
 [size=x-small]http://www.head-fi.org/t/649174/review-fiio-e12-comparison-to-c-c-bh-jds-labs-o2-jds-labs-c421[/size]

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #35 of 751
Hey everyone! :D Just wanted to post a little tweak I did to the A900X, which will help those of you who find these cans to be on the bassy side (like me).

I was staring at my ATH-A9X and the ATH-A900X side-by-side.  My A9X has the A1000 pads installed (which is similar in shape and material to its stock pads; it has better pleather than the A900X pads). The A1000 pads has oval opening, while the A900X pads have round opening (which makes the holes a lot bigger).

Bigger holes = more trapped air = more bass.

Since the A9X is bass-shy, and the A900X is too bassy, I came to the sudden realization: Why didn't I think of swapping their pads???

The ATH-A9X with ATH-A900X earpads installed.
 ​
 ​
 ​
The ATH-A900X with ATH-A1000 earpads installed.

The result? Fantastic! :)  The A900X is no longer droning whenever there's even the slightest bass present; the bass no longer bleeds into the mids and I can actually hear the sub-bass extension now. xD The A9X on the other hand received a bass boost - still far from as bassy as the A900X, but since the A9X doesn't even have D.A.D.S., to expect otherwise would be silly.

The A900X is very clearly superior in every way to the A9X - much better treble, much better bass, and much much better sound stage and positioning.  Aside from the subpar stock earpads, I really can't complain.

So, A1000 pads on A900X - simple and highly recommended mod!  Not only does it clean up the bass, but the pleather is a lot softer, more supple, and hugs the face better (which helps reduce sliding - especially if you have issues with the wings). So it's both a comfort & sound quality mod. :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #37 of 751
I'd like to post some of my ear pads swaps as well!  I'm not a huge fan of pleather at all, gets to hot quickly and the stock ear pads feel rather cheap.  I had some AKG K240 velour ear pads lying around and I wondered if they fit.

The only thing I was worried about was the larger lip on one side of the ear cups.

After a bit of stretching, I was able to successfully install the new ear pads!  The result:

There are a few changes that I've noticed with the new pads on.  I haven't tested them extensively yet, but here are the changes I've observed.

-Sound stage seems to have opened up a little bit more.
-A little less bass, but still deep and controlled.
-A little itchy but much more comfortable.
-The clamping force seems to have increased!  They used to slip around a bit, but now they are stable and secure.
-They leak a lot more sound than before!

Update:  I've changed the pads back to the originals.  I feel that the velours changed the sound signature substantially.  It sounded veiled and congested, I think the thicker foam cover may have been reason behind it.  I'm going to find something a little thinner and test it again.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #38 of 751
Can anyone comment on how the A900X sound in comparison to a typically modified T50RP?  Thanks!

edit: nevermind, my window of opportunity to get the AT has closed. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #39 of 751
Quote:
Those look great! Any one know where to pick up a pair? Only ones I could find were $50+ on ebay. :frowning2:

You can buy the A1000 pads directly from Audio Technica's parts department for something like $39, I think. :)

If you are tight on money, I think the A900 pads will work as well; they only cost $7 from Audio Technica (similar shape as A1000 pads, so reduction in bass should be similar, but very cheap pleather)

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #40 of 751
Just got these tonight from the Buydig deal.  They sound wonderful, but I'm having issues with the phones slipping down, the wings aren't supportive enough.  I followed the advice of previous post and "tied" the wings together with a piece of string.  This seems to do the trick, but is this common with these headphones or did I receive a defective set?

Thanks.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #41 of 751
I got mine yesterday from buydig as well. Pretty sick pair of cans. Love them, I feel slightly deaf but that's okay. Haha.

I'm not having that issue unfortunately. Are you pulling it down too much when you initially put them on? I put them on but not letting the wings have any pressure on them; and then let go so it just rests in place letting gravity do its thing.

-shrugs- not sure what it could be. If pull up-push up on the wings does it seem flimsy-not enough tension?

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #42 of 751
Quote:
Just got these tonight from the Buydig deal.  They sound wonderful, but I'm having issues with the phones slipping down, the wings aren't supportive enough.  I followed the advice of previous post and "tied" the wings together with a piece of string.  This seems to do the trick, but is this common with these headphones or did I receive a defective set?

Thanks.

I have a pair they are working great. I read a lot of posts saying that if you have a small head they slip down. I have a medium to large head that is shaved. At first I thought it slipped but now I feel fine. I used some material that was in the box and slipped into the top joint that meets the side of the head just prevents them from opening too much. I don't think it's a defect. Also I'm starting to like it further down on my ears I feel less of a pinch. Just push the top band back a little. What is the size of your head?

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #44 of 751
Quote:
I have a pair they are working great. I read a lot of posts saying that if you have a small head they slip down. I have a medium to large head that is shaved. At first I thought it slipped but now I feel fine. I used some material that was in the box and slipped into the top joint that meets the side of the head just prevents them from opening too much. I don't think it's a defect. Also I'm starting to like it further down on my ears I feel less of a pinch. Just push the top band back a little. What is the size of your head?

I think my head is normal to large, usually wear a med-large cap size.  I tried the phones again without tying the wings and if I don't apply pressure downwards on the phone they stay in place.  I might try the that trick Michm, thanks.  

I would hate to give up these phones, they sound pretty dang nice.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #45 of 751
Quote:

Thanks.

Actually upon closer inspection, the downforce provided by the wings do seem to be slightly less than the wings on the A9X.  They still don't slide down my head, though - I think because my head is fairly large and the clamping force alone is keeping the headphones in place (and the A900X clamps pretty tight, in my opinion).

They do slide down my wife's head, however - though the problem is mitigated somewhat after I switched out the earpads (the A1000 pads have more texture and hug the skin better)

I think the easiest way to remedy the issue is to tie the wings together with a rubber band (try out different sized ones, since they affect how tight the wings are).  I don't think strings are as ideal, since they aren't elastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back