Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Feb 23, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 751
Quote:
Thanks viralcow for posting that discount code it. I finally ordered these after seeing your post as I figured I need an enclosed pair even though I prefer open. Ironically I got my Senn HD580's brand new for $120 from ubid when Sennheiser was clearing them out to make way for the 600's.

Hopefully you'll like them. :)

If not, there's always the AD900X
beyersmile.png
(which is.... also severely under-reviewed)

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 751
I was about to buy a pair of the refurbs from amazon but that BuyDig deal is stellar!

...Oh darn, no international orders are accepted through the website... Amazon it is! My only worry is that I get smacked by Duties and customs fees if I do go through with the order :frowning2: Making decisions is hard

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #18 of 751
Quote:
I was about to buy a pair of the refurbs from amazon but that BuyDig deal is stellar!

...Oh darn, no international orders are accepted through the website... Amazon it is! My only worry is that I get smacked by Duties and customs fees if I do go through with the order :frowning2: Making decisions is hard

I got mine shipped from Japan, customs didn't give me any troubles. :)

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #19 of 751
Wow was this a great deal and they look brand new and very high quality. They have a nice broad soundstage with depth for closed headphones and great detail. One song with 2 singers in a live performance separated the the singers voices which my Senn. HD580 did not do. Great timbre on the instruments and piano sounds great. The bass is perfect for me, mids are perfect and nice sparkly treble with no sibilance. All the varieties of music I have listened to sound great on these Rock, Jazz, Vocals, Classical and New Age. Funny I don't miss open headphones with these and they are very comfortable. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #20 of 751
Quote:
Wow was this a great deal and they look brand new and very high quality. They have a nice broad soundstage with depth for closed headphones and great detail. One song with 2 singers in a live performance separated the the singers voices which my Senn. HD580 did not do. Great timbre on the instruments and piano sounds great. The bass is perfect for me, mids are perfect and nice sparkly treble with no sibilance. All the varieties of music I have listened to sound great on these Rock, Jazz, Vocals, Classical and New Age. Funny I don't miss open headphones with these and they are very comfortable. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm tempted to buy one of these.  The only thing that's holding me back is that I own the K550's and the DT 770's as my main closed cans.  It's hard to pass up such a good deal though.  I dunno
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #23 of 751
Quote:
I'm tempted to buy one of these.  The only thing that's holding me back is that I own the K550's and the DT 770's as my main closed cans.  It's hard to pass up such a good deal though.  I dunno
confused_face_2.gif

Don't have a DT 770 for comparison, but K550 has a very different sound signature from the A900X (seriously, ignore all the other comparison reviews that say they sound similar; because they don't); you can check out the comparison review in my sig. :)

The K550 is thinner and more neutral, which IMO makes it less musical. The A900X - aside from being a bit bassy for my taste - sounds a lot richer and more full-bodied. It's a much more intimate and lively sort of sound.

I think the treble is my favorite part on the A900X. Not too sure how AT pulled it off, but there are a lot more details in the higher registers (compared to K550) without producing sibilance. The K550 is actually more sibilant in my opinion (partially because the mids are so thin...)

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #24 of 751
I just wanted to post a couple impressions - I usually lurk, so don't have much experience with this, but maybe I can help people who might be on the fence. I received the Buydig refurbished A900x last week, as well as the AKG K167 Tiesto. I let them burn in a few days, listening intermittently. Tonight I listened in depth, using my modified Fostex T40rp mkII as my baseline. My system is Windows lossless (or Oppo 83) - Squeezebox Touch - Benchmark DAC1. I listened to the K167 with both stock pads and the Shure 750 pads.

I appreciated the form factor on the K167, they are lower profile, and isolate better than the other two cans. They are more comfortable and lighter than the Fostex with the headband modification. The Shure pads are warm, but very comfortable. The A900x wants to slip down and I find myself adjusting them more frequently. My ears don't touch the drivers on the A900x however, as they do with the stock pads on the K167. I don't have big ears. Construction on the A900x seems better to me, but they are not very transportable.

As far as sound is concerned, bass is strong and full on most music. Some genres however (just got the Jose James album - R&B, jazz) had too much bass, and it can overpower and bleed into the mids. Most of the music I listened to did not have that much bass, so I really enjoyed it. The K167 had pretty nice bass and sub-bass. It is better controlled and layered but lesser in quantity than the A900x. In the future I would like to hook up my Audio-GD Roc amp to see if there is improvement in control of the A900x bass. Impact on bass and mid-bass was better on the K167, even if low-mids and mid bass were low. In comparison, my Fostex don't have as much low bass as either the K167 or the A900x. Also, the Fostex has some low mid bloom which can get busy.

I found the A900x to have a very smooth midrange and treble. I don't hear any peaks in either. The mids are almost as full, fleshy and palpable as they are on the Fostex. I feel that the treble is presented well, with some mild roll-off, in both the Fostex and A900x. Well recorded female voices put me in that wow space with both cans. Neither have any sibilance.  Texture and air are great on both. Transients on both the K167 and A900x are great.  Mids are thin on the k167 in comparison.

Treble on the K167 was its downfall. There may be a peak in the treble with some upper mid suck out that made things sound metallic. In busy passages, some instruments would pop out in the peak range that were distracting and unnatural (Ceu - self titled album). Sibilance was present and uncomfortable.

I would say that imaging is better on the A900x than the K167, and much better than on the Fostex. I didn't hear much difference using stock pads or the Shure 750 pads on the K167, but I was only listening for differences in the sibilance/peaky treble.

I am keeping the A900x, but the K167 is going back, or getting gifted (lucky sister). I'm not sure if the Fostex or the A900x is my favorite yet, but I can use both. I wish I could find a more transportable option in a closed circumaural can, and I may try out the Fischer FA-003 or one of its rebrands soon. I will probably stay away from the K550 based on what I have read. Any other suggestions? Beyer DT660?

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #25 of 751
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks viralcow for posting that discount code it. I finally ordered these after seeing your post as I figured I need an enclosed pair even though I prefer open. Ironically I got my Senn HD580's brand new for $120 from ubid when Sennheiser was clearing them out to make way for the 600's.

Hopefully you'll like them. :)

If not, there's always the AD900X
beyersmile.png
(which is.... also severely under-reviewed)

Well, considering it only just came out in Japan 3 months ago and is only just reaching state-side distribution (idk about European distro), that's not surprising :p

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #26 of 751
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures yet, but holy cow these are soooo good. Sound right out of the box is much better than my M50's. Comfort is a massive improvement, I always felt the weight of the M50's on the headband (it got uncomfortable and it messed up my flow, I also wear them with 0-2 ticks on each side) and within minutes and an adjustment or two the A900x's aren't putting pressure anywhere. They are just floating I am so happy with this purchase! :D

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #29 of 751
only problem is I just dropped $200 over the weekend for jvc fxz100, jvc has400 and jvc hafx3x lol.... woops. this forum. making me spend so much money. so addicting. ahhhh!!!!
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back