Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Dec 19, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #721 of 751

EQ and $ are irrelevant.

IMO.

wink.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #722 of 751

EQ and $ are irrelevant.

IMO.

wink.gif

right lol with unlimited cash you don't need eq, with unlimited EQ I guess you don't need a lot of cash ;3 I think they two are inverses 

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #723 of 751
  right lol with unlimited cash you don't need eq, with unlimited EQ I guess you don't need a lot of cash ;3 I think they two are inverses 

With unlimited cash you could have a headphone for every song yes but an unlimited EQ wuldn't make everything sound good, you'd still be limited by the headphones themselves. You can't EQ an ATH-M50 to sound like an HD-800 and you definitely can't make an MDR-7506 sound like an LD2.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #724 of 751
  With unlimited cash you could have a headphone for every song yes but an unlimited EQ wuldn't make everything sound good, you'd still be limited by the headphones themselves. You can't EQ an ATH-M50 to sound like an HD-800 and you definitely can't make an MDR-7506 sound like an LD2.

it was a joke, if you read through this thread, I made that point a little earlier ^^ but thanks for reinforcing it 

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #725 of 751
  it was a joke, if you read through this thread, I made that point a little earlier ^^ but thanks for reinforcing it 

I did read through this thread i just seldom pay attention to which name says what, my bad buddy

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #726 of 751
  I did read through this thread i just seldom pay attention to which name says what, my bad buddy

that is true, I've been doing that a lot my self, though I like the Multi quote button 

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #727 of 751
I just wanted to drop by and say while I don't own these personally, I always find myself once in awhile asking my friend to borrow his pair for a week or so (I'm wearing them right now hahaha). I dunno what it is but they just have this very unique sound I haven't heard in a headphone before. They just have their own fun presentation of things and it doesn't work right for a decent chunk of my library but man when it gets it right, it gets it right. Just makes me want to do all sorts of chair dancing you know! I think I just have made up my mind and will need to buy my own pair
beyersmile.png

Oh and just to add my two cents to whatever EQ conversation has been going on in this thread. I personally come about my headphone journey as the embodiment of the title "collector". And I don't mean that to demean others and say they are lesser in their appreciation or anything, I can't stand people who try to impose their ideas on how a hobby should be onto others. But I personally just really appreciate each headphone and it's own individual identity, with it's own design and particular sound signature. So while EQ'd my M50's in the past to really just increase bass once in awhile, that is about the most I think I could do. If a headphone needs EQ to sound a particular way, I just personally don't care for it. I think that's why I envision myself owning a lot of headphones. I just like to appreciate particular presentations of sound. It doesn't have to be perfect necessarily, just enjoyable.

So to just kinda wrap up, I don't really like EQing because I get a headphone to appreciate the way IT in particular sounds. I'm not out to try and fix it. This is definitely not an idea that appeals to most and I find that just fine. Meanwhile, I will enjoy my Q701 once in awhile for what it brings to the table but my primary go to headphone is the HD650 and my best the LCD-2
gs1000.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #728 of 751
  I just wanted to drop by and say while I don't own these personally, I always find myself once in awhile asking my friend to borrow his pair for a week or so (I'm wearing them right now hahaha). I dunno what it is but they just have this very unique sound I haven't heard in a headphone before. They just have their own fun presentation of things and it doesn't work right for a decent chunk of my library but man when it gets it right, it gets it right. Just makes me want to do all sorts of chair dancing you know! I think I just have made up my mind and will need to buy my own pair
beyersmile.png

Oh and just to add my two cents to whatever EQ conversation has been going on in this thread. I personally come about my headphone journey as the embodiment of the title "collector". And I don't mean that to demean others and say they are lesser in their appreciation or anything, I can't stand people who try to impose their ideas on how a hobby should be onto others. But I personally just really appreciate each headphone and it's own individual identity, with it's own design and particular sound signature. So while EQ'd my M50's in the past to really just increase bass once in awhile, that is about the most I think I could do. If a headphone needs EQ to sound a particular way, I just personally don't care for it. I think that's why I envision myself owning a lot of headphones. I just like to appreciate particular presentations of sound. It doesn't have to be perfect necessarily, just enjoyable.

So to just kinda wrap up, I don't really like EQing because I get a headphone to appreciate the way IT in particular sounds. I'm not out to try and fix it. This is definitely not an idea that appeals to most and I find that just fine. Meanwhile, I will enjoy my Q701 once in awhile for what it brings to the table but my primary go to headphone is the HD650 and my best the LCD-2
gs1000.gif

For most headphones (
redface.gif
 well maybe not most but many) the entire concept of sound, including the tonal spectrum 
bigsmile_face.gif
 has been considered and applied to an end.

IMO : It's good to listen to sounds in the natural state of tone etc. the producer of headphone/speaker had in mind in order to figure out how to change things effectively as one proceeds through listening.

Also, if you get along with the tonal signature of agreeable and chosen audio products you then have a sympathetic mesuring point in your consciecness in which to compare recordings. 

Right??

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #729 of 751
My A900X arrived yesterday afternoon from Buydig/Beach Camera via Amazon. So far I am pleased with the sound, and they definitely are what people call "musical". I listened to a bunch of artists and songs that typically have some negative sound characteristics that annoy me with other setups, both cans and speakers, but these cans seem to not highlight those poor bits. I can simply enjoy the music with a pretty nice and balanced sound, IMO. I work part of my day in a cubicle that's near a dang copy machine, so I also wanted solid isolation so I can listen to laid back music such as acoustic blues and not get distracted with all the BS office noise, but also enjoy other genres that suit my mood. My Schiit Fulla arrives today or tomorrow and I can't wait to play with that also. 

I have a lot of audiophile friends who have speaker and headphone setups that cost as much as a new car, but my biggest gripe with many is that while they sound great with high quality recordings, and stereotypical audiophile music like Adieu False Heart, but lesser quality recordings become painful to listen to. While these cans aren't up in the clouds, they don't have that issue but don't dumb down the good recordings either. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #730 of 751
Another post to praise the Alpha Pads on this headphone.

Stock, I've found it rather uncomfortable, though I'm quite picky about having my ears touch the insides. The angled pads play well with how the headphones can rotate.
Now, I can wear them for a full day; it's so comfortable I wish everything was made out of Alpha Pads. They're pillows for your ears.

I haven't found much change in the sound signature, and in my opinion soundstage is better. I've only used them in a climatized environment so I don't know if they could get hot either.

However, I can't stress enough that installing them is quite tedious. You're basically fitting squares onto circles; I don't know if the Lawton Pads are a better fit since they are designed for round headphones, but they might be too small too.

Nevertheless, after some distending on the flaps, I was able to install each pad with a lot of patience (about half an hour per cup!). I was afraid the flaps could tear, but in fact they've stayed extremely strong and the pads haven't budged at all now that they are installed.

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #731 of 751
Does anyone know which pair of Audio Technica headphones have similar upper bass and low mids (which I find very pleasing with these pair), but paired with smoother upper mids and low treble, I mean less grainy/dry textured?
I love the tonality/pitch of the A900Xs, which I find very euphonic, but with certain classical recordings high pitched violins can get grating in the long run, and with some pop and rock albums the snare drum can get on my nerves, there's some grain or glare in the upper-mids and low treble region that can get pretty tiring, and EQ-ing isn't very effective (or I have to dull the sound completely) and that's very unfortunate.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #734 of 751
Hello, I've been enjoying my ath-A900X this past month and I really like them. The sound is really wide and immersive, it's a really fine set of heaphones. 

The isolation is pretty mediocre though, it leaks quite a bit. I also have an issue with one of my pad, it looks sort of loose and feels weird around the ear. So I'm thinking of getting new pads and I was wondering which would fit them the best, while improving the isolation. 

Which pads under 30$ isolate and fit the best ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back