Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Jul 3, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #481 of 751

With what company did you arrange for the mod? Can I use those balanced cables that you received with the X5 just as they are or do I need an attachment or another mod?

There's a professional headphones tinker in BKK who founded HeadphoneGuru. Check his website http://headphoneguru.com/prestashop/en out. He even does the Fiio X3.
Regarding the balanced cables, what cables do you mean?

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #482 of 751

There's a professional headphones tinker in BKK who founded HeadphoneGuru. Check his website http://headphoneguru.com/prestashop/en out. He even does the Fiio X3.
Regarding the balanced cables, what cables do you mean?

I went to the headphoneGuru website like you suggested and saw nothing under $990! As to balanced cables, wouldn't I need a special connector on the X5 for that? ....for any balanced cable you would install in a pair of headphones. I have no experience with this kind of setup, please forgive me.

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #483 of 751
Alright...so my pads are giving up on me... What would be a good replacement pads for this can? Also where would be a good place to purchase them?

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #484 of 751
Hi Ripvanlink,

All good nw. That's a very good question actually. I don't use my my X5 as a main setup as it doesn't support any balanced headphones. I use Audio GD NFB-28 and this thing is just perfect IMO :)

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #485 of 751
In the "anti spirit" of "buy, buy buy",

ATH-A900X

+ re-cable etc = LOL.

Dig. 
And...

In all seriousness, I really do enjoy my ATH-A900X  but re-cable is a waste of time and especially money.
I promise you won't notice any difference, unless (of course) you want to at the start.

Even if re-cable " pie in the sky " were real(open question) these headphones aren't that great...

Very good for the money but.....

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #486 of 751
I believe that is a matter of opinion and preference. I owned a pair of original A900X and I found that they did not fit in my SLAPPA case so I had to do something with them. Also it didn't hurt if I went a little bit further with balanced jacks and re-cable.

I promise that I heard the big difference (as mentioned in my first comment).  I loved them so did my friend as he was begging me to sell the pair to him.

And again, it depends on people' opinions. I tried them both so I have a story to tell.

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #487 of 751
  I believe that is a matter of opinion and preference. I owned a pair of original A900X and I found that they did not fit in my SLAPPA case so I had to do something with them. Also it didn't hurt if I went a little bit further with balanced jacks and re-cable.

I promise that I heard the big difference (as mentioned in my first comment).  I loved them so did my friend as he was begging me to sell the pair to him.

And again, it depends on people' opinions. I tried them both so I have a story to tell.

Ok.

I won't argue with you.
This isn't the sound science thread.

Enjoy.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #488 of 751
Just received my A900X. I noticed the head wings don't fit the same as the AD700. The A900X feels a bit looser (worse for me, more likely to fall off if I tilt my head). Does anyone notice the same?

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #490 of 751
^Did you guys try the rubber band mod?

I'm very much considering pulling the trigger on the A900X. Been reading a bit and am torn between it and the K550, however I'm currently leaning towards the A900X. Am I missing any other alternatives within the same price range? I'll be using it for gaming, music and movies.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #491 of 751

I'm very much considering pulling the trigger on the A900X. Been reading a bit and am torn between it and the K550, however I'm currently leaning towards the A900X. Am I missing any other alternatives within the same price range? I'll be using it for gaming, music and movies.

Hiya, from what I'm reading the a900x kick ass over the K550s, I got recommended the sennheiser momentums. There's also the audio technica ws99's that I was looking at and the PRO700MK2 & PRO900MK2. but I decided on the a900x. I'm gonna have a play with them soon but I'm still waiting for them to burn in. 72 hours at least from what I read lol. I recommend u have a look at the a900x appreciation thread lots of good stuff there. I'm not sure about the rubber band mod. I'm thinking something a bit more drastic. I saw something on here somewhere & I can't find it now but somebody managed to fit a piece of cloth between the wings like the rubber band mod. I think I might have to try that if I can find where it is. I'm not even sure it was for the a900x :s good luck!

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #492 of 751
Thanks bro. I went ahead and got the A900X, heard so much good about it and the price is not too steep either...I hope I'll be happy with it. It's gotta be better than the Creative Tactic3D Wrath headset I'm using atm, right? :D

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #493 of 751
I have a pair of ATH-900X I use at work which I really enjoy. Will it be worth it to get an O2 AMP +DAC or just a an O2 DAC?
Currently connecting through a Macbook Retina, one plus is we have Thunderbolt monitors and it acts a a "dock" for the macbook, so having a USB amp wil let me just plug in power + thunderbolt to my laptop and leave the DAC or DAC+AMP hooked up to the monitor.

I am also maybe look to upgrade to a more high end pair of close back headphones, or semi-open, any suggestions?

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #494 of 751

For movies, the elevated bass is great, the a900x is a well-rounded headphone so you're good there, and for gaming; these draw good detail and decent isolation.
I found the K550 to be a bit too bass anemic for a closed headphone, plus no one ever mentions about the hot treble area that can be a bit of a nuisance. The drivers sound like they should be in an open back headphone like the AKG K/Q series.

You're specifically paying for an enjoyable headphone that doesn't require amplification. There are headphone upgrades in this price bracket ($150-$250), but they do require an amplifier/dac upgrade for it to be considered one.

This was my extreme version of improving the wings (minus the alpha pads). I took the wings apart, rotated them 90 degrees inward, stretched the spring, and now they're a perfect fit. The only problem is that it requires the exact bit size or the screws will easily be stripped. Audio Technica was kind enough to provide the wings if I ever broke them when I was modding it.

Quote:
  Thanks bro. I went ahead and got the A900X, heard so much good about it and the price is not too steep either...I hope I'll be happy with it. It's gotta be better than the Creative Tactic3D Wrath headset I'm using atm, right? :D

You will be happier with it. Give it ~50-100 hours of burn in on the headphone and your ears to adjust. Switch back to the Tactic 3D and you'll notice.
I have the Tactic 3D as well, it sounds a lot muddier compared to the A900X, believe it or not, the stereo imaging is a lot better than the Tactic 3D's "7.1 virtual surround"
  I have a pair of ATH-900X I use at work which I really enjoy. Will it be worth it to get an O2 AMP +DAC or just a an O2 DAC?
Currently connecting through a Macbook Retina, one plus is we have Thunderbolt monitors and it acts a a "dock" for the macbook, so having a USB amp wil let me just plug in power + thunderbolt to my laptop and leave the DAC or DAC+AMP hooked up to the monitor.

I am also maybe look to upgrade to a more high end pair of close back headphones, or semi-open, any suggestions?

Modern motherboards have very decent soundcards (Apple Hardware, Gigabyte 990 motherboards, ASUS ROG motherboards).
I found changing sources with the a900x only changed the sound signature a tad bit.
It took 2 hours for my ears to adjust to a new sound source and switching back to notice the difference with the a900x though.

What changed the a900x the most are finding songs that take advantage of the headphones sound signature.
I.E, solid bass notes that revolve between 80-120hz, songs that have that extra 2khz-6khz to compensate for the dip, and detailed hi hats for the 8khz-10khz range.

So no, it won't be worth buying a new source just for the a900x.

The A900X is easily driven. However I just tested through my PC via O2 DAC that it will require ~50% volume to get moderate listening levels to the A900X. ~60%-~70% with dynamic leveled music.
The ODAC starts clipping around 80% though, so it's recommended to pair it with an amp.

In regards to over ear + open back upgrades, go:

Beyerdynamic if you want more bass, more in your face treble, better isolation, great durability for the cost of weight and bit recessed mids.
I recommend the DT 880 250ohm.
Sennheiser if you want smooth bass, detailed mids, smooth treble, great comfort for the cost of a "darker/laid back" sound signature (some people like this)
I recommend the Sennheiser HD 598.
AKG if you want solid bass, forwarded detailed mids, detailed/somewhat in your face treble, great soundstage, for the cost of comfort (depending on the headphone) and a bit colder sound signature.
I recommend the AKG Q701.

I recommended open back headphones, because in my opinion, the design itself of open backs are an upgrade. Those are also recommended because they are an affordable upgrade. Though they will benefit an upgrade in source such as an ODAC/O2 combo.

For myself, I went for the AKG Q701 ($150CAD, bought used on the seller subforum of headfi), and the ODAC/O2 ($180CAD, bought used on the seller subforum of headfi).
In my opinion they are detail monsters and great for gaming due to the enormous soundstage. I like brighter sound signatures, which is why I favour the Q701's a lot. A lot of people say it's a poor mans' HD 800 (which is true in my opinion).

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #495 of 751
Originally Posted by Nec3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will be happier with it. Give it ~50-100 hours of burn in on the headphone and your ears to adjust. Switch back to the Tactic 3D and you'll notice.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it, but I have to say I'm worried about the fit. Let's see, hopefully it won't be a problem.

I have the Tactic 3D as well, it sounds a lot muddier compared to the A900X, believe it or not, the stereo imaging is a lot better than the Tactic 3D's "7.1 virtual surround"

I believe it, but I'm actually considering getting the Soundblaster Z for the SBX virtual surround. Unfortunately I've read that the Z makes stereo sound worse even compared to onboard solutions. The Titanium HD should be better, but the drivers sound like such a hassle. I'll read some more before I make my final decision, maybe I'll end up just downloading Razer Virtual Surround.

I recommended open back headphones, because in my opinion, the design itself of open backs are an upgrade. Those are also recommended because they are an affordable upgrade. Though they will benefit an upgrade in source such as an ODAC/O2 combo.

I had to rule out open back due to my current situation, but I'll definitely be looking into them for my next upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back