Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Apr 19, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #453 of 751
  why do people like A900x more than AD900x? Can anyone compare them?

A little google/headfi search is your friend :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/657331/help-me-ath-ad900x-vs-ath-a900x#post_9318702

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #455 of 751
After plenty of headphone purchases, I always revert back to the A900X. I love how it doesn't reveal too much detail and just lets me enjoy music. Even the V-Moda M100's are a bit too much on the 1-2khz range sometimes and makes some of my music genre specific.

Apparently the A900X is discontinued by the manufacturer? Why? Why must it always be the good headphones that are discontinued?

Anyhow, anyone still willing to buy these can find it for under $150 in which some people consider these an upgrade from the ath-m50's.(Gamez Tech is selling it for $124 + $5.99 shipping)

May 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #456 of 751
After a bit of research on head-fi it's become clear to me that the ath-a900x is definitely the way to go and I nearly made a huge mistake in purchasing the m50. 

I'll probably be ordering from ebay considering how much of a pain it is finding an authorized reseller with cheap shipping to Canada. I'm assuming the chance of receiving a fake is negligible if the seller has a high reputation and the region of manufacture is purportedly Japan? Seems like a no-brainer, I just tend to be overly cautious at times.

May 4, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #457 of 751
  After a bit of research on head-fi it's become clear to me that the ath-a900x is definitely the way to go and I nearly made a huge mistake in purchasing the m50. 

I'll probably be ordering from ebay considering how much of a pain it is finding an authorized reseller with cheap shipping to Canada. I'm assuming the chance of receiving a fake is negligible if the seller has a high reputation and the region of manufacture is purportedly Japan? Seems like a no-brainer, I just tend to be overly cautious at times.

How much are you buying from ebay? I tend to use amazon because it's safer and shipping usually arrives within the month (most of the time less). I bought it for $230 including shipping, so if you can get it for a lot less on ebay, kudos to you!

May 4, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #458 of 751

How much are you buying from ebay? I tend to use amazon because it's safer and shipping usually arrives within the month (most of the time less). I bought it for $230 including shipping, so if you can get it for a lot less on ebay, kudos to you!

Eh, about $196 including import and shipping fees. At this point i'm also considering just ordering from buydig instead since they're an authorized reseller, though there's the issue of the 60 dollar shipping fee and whatever import fees on top of that.

edit: seems like the-edeals on amazon.com has it for $215.87 w/ shipping to Canada and is also fulfilled by amazon, so I suppose I'll be ordering from there instead

May 5, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #459 of 751
  Eh, about $196 including import and shipping fees. At this point i'm also considering just ordering from buydig instead since they're an authorized reseller, though there's the issue of the 60 dollar shipping fee and whatever import fees on top of that.

edit: seems like the-edeals on amazon.com has it for $215.87 w/ shipping to Canada and is also fulfilled by amazon, so I suppose I'll be ordering from there instead

Last post in regards to derailing this thread, but I gave up on ebay because amazon doesn't have the wonky import fees ebay does. Although in regards to import fees, I've had to pay Cash on Delivery for the A900X when shipped from Japan. If the courier is Canada Post or Purolator, you may not have to pay Cash on Delivery.

May 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #460 of 751

I have both, and overall I prefer the M50s to the a900x. The main issue I have with  the a900x is it's hollow mid range, and less punchy bass. The fact that the M50 is cheaper, and more comfortable on the long run is just a boon on top. YMMV.

May 9, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #461 of 751
My A900X has a great midrange and plenty of Bass. I find it responded quite greatly to a good amp which improved everything the soundstage and everything else. It is quite revealing. Binaural is fun to listen to with this also. Great separation of sounds and detail on good Flac recordings.

May 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #462 of 751
  My A900X has a great midrange and plenty of Bass. I find it responded quite greatly to a good amp which improved everything the soundstage and everything else. It is quite revealing. Binaural is fun to listen to with this also. Great separation of sounds and detail on good Flac recordings.

My comments were to in comparison to the M50, if I only owned the A900x my impressions would be probably similar to yours, but as I said YMMV. In any case it's a very good headphone, I'm listening to it right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back