Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Mar 14, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #436 of 751
Thanks for the reply. I really want the a900x but the super long non-removable cable is a deal breaker. That's one of the reasons I'm replacing my hd598's but at least THAT cable is replaceable with a shorter one. I know it sounds petty, but it's because I plan to use these out and about sometimes (even though they are huge, IDC about that).

On another note, I wonder how hard/expensive it would be to have the a900x recabled with a shorter cable? That could be an option. I haven't heard them yet, but I did listen to some W1000x, which I really liked. They should be fairly similar sounding.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #437 of 751
  Thanks for the reply. I really want the a900x but the super long non-removable cable is a deal breaker. That's one of the reasons I'm replacing my hd598's but at least THAT cable is replaceable with a shorter one. I know it sounds petty, but it's because I plan to use these out and about sometimes (even though they are huge, IDC about that).

On another note, I wonder how hard/expensive it would be to have the a900x recabled with a shorter cable? That could be an option. I haven't heard them yet, but I did listen to some W1000x, which I really liked. They should be fairly similar sounding.

I haven't listened to the W1000X, but don't you think you might be disappointed if you gave the a900x a listen? They're obviously a downgrade :p

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #439 of 751
  From what people have said concerning the sound on the a900x's, I doubt I'd be disappointed.

Here's a precaution, the A900X has a treble peak at 10khz and the some aren't a fan of the wing system. The 10khz will be amazing for high hats, but if you have japanese poprock singers that emphasize "SSSSibilant" vocals, I'd avoid the a900x.
I fully support the A900X though, my first headphone, and I still swap back to it even after using a higher end headphone. However, I just wanted to let you know what you're getting into.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #440 of 751
I'd recommend the 900X over the W1000X in terms of price/performance any day, though that's just me :p
Do mind the 10khz spike [which both have] and the hit or miss wing system [which the W1000X has better].
900X was a very pleasant surprise, W1000X... not so much. YMMV.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #441 of 751
Cool thanks for the advice guys. Ultimately, I think I've finally decided to just stick with Sennheiser and get the full size momentums. The a900x were much more appealing but the cable killed it for me :<. The other contender was the v-moda m100, but I've had headphones before with the "V" shape sound signature, and while that is good for some music, I just hate how some instruments and sounds like guitar can be recessed. I think overall the momentums are the best pick for me. Just a little worried about the smallish ear pads since I have fairly large eye glasses.

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #442 of 751
In reply to BlueScorpion33:

I had the JVC HARX900 and then I upgraded to the A900x. The A900x has a little more mid bass than the JVC HARX900 and the highs are have more sparkle to them. You will not be disappointed if you choose to make the upgrade.

Mar 30, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #443 of 751
My headphones are the ATH-A900s without the X, which means they are the precursors to 900X model. I bought them based on reviews I read a couple of years back on Head-Fi but cannot locate any longer, reviews of the older model. Is anyone out there familiar with the A900s to render an opinion on any differences between them and the latest rendition?

My head is not particularly large or small and the A900s fit my head really well, the soundstage and SQ is excellent from my classical-oriented point of view.
Maybe my only gripe is that the 2 smaller triangular-shaped parts that go over and touch/cushion the top of my head do not stay on the rockers they snap into. Anyone have the same problem and is there the possibility of ordering replacements for them? I believe I lost the buggers, lol.

Mar 30, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #444 of 751
Another problem I'm having is that the right channel ceases to work and I have to jiggle,  twirl it around, or gentle pull it a little out from the socket of my laptop or dap to correct and get it to work, which does work, as long as I do not move too much.
I tried cleaning the plug with rubbing alcohol in case it was dirty. Possibly there may be a static electricity problem also.
Anyone have a solution for this?

Mar 30, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #445 of 751

I've been wondering about the cost of replacing the cables for shorter ones myself, with the addition of having the cables installed in both phones with user replaceable plug connections, but I guess that would cost a lot, no?

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #447 of 751
  It shouldn't be too hard/expensive for someone experienced with that I would think. You can order the adapters and other diy stuff really cheap online.

Really? I wouldn't know where to start or what parts I would need. Any pointers? Perhaps there's a fixit shop in my area that can do it for me reasonably. I will check on that. Have a feeling I know of such a place. Won't hurt to go there personally and ask, but in the meantime, your directions would be welcome.

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #449 of 751
Thanks, Indieman,
I will keep Moon Audio in mind, as it is good that the company is in Cary, NC, so I wouldn't have the extra waiting time and hassle sending my phones to China like I did to UM-modify my TF10s.
Is it a complicated process to connect the cables to the end pieces. Anything like soldering involved? To be honest, I'm a bit wary of opening up these phones, or any phones for that matter so I'm going to see these local people in San Diego and see what they say first.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #450 of 751
  In reply to BlueScorpion33:

I had the JVC HARX900 and then I upgraded to the A900x. The A900x has a little more mid bass than the JVC HARX900 and the highs are have more sparkle to them. You will not be disappointed if you choose to make the upgrade.

Thanks for your reply Intrynix.

I actually went ahead and ordered a A900X (from Japan as they are available here in the UK) just few hours before posted, but still it's good hear from a previous RX900 owner to say that I won't be disappointed by upgrading to the A900X.

However I still would like to know from you what you think of the sub bass of the A900X compared to the RX900 as I read few times that the A900X is a bit shy in its sub bass whereas the JVCs are known to have an emphasis on bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back