Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Jan 28, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #421 of 751
  I wish I had another pair to compare the a900x with... I'm not sure if I wore out the bass in these cans because they don't feel as punchy anymore... Maybe I've been wearing the Q701's too long? @_@

I can't say much about the velours, but I can say that the pleathers don't seal for me. Probably because I have a gigantic head and the thin stock pads are a better fit. Plus the mids sound a tad hollow (quite the difference when I listened to these for over 4000 hours!) and sounds very awkward to me. 

Believe it or not, the stock pads seal in my case.

Hmm. The seal is broken for me under the ear where the jawline starts.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #422 of 751

Hmm. The seal is broken for me under the ear where the jawline starts.

That's pretty much the only part that doesn't seal for me, there's probably a centimeter gap in length. Although once the pads heat up and the foam loosens, it presses in and I feel the headphones droop a bit. Thus the wing spring tightening mod I underwent for these.

If you press the cups to your head, do you hear a difference?
How long did you have these headphones for? After 2-3 months of use, they do mold to fit your head if it's abnormally large like mine 
atsmile.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #423 of 751
  That's pretty much the only part that doesn't seal for me, there's probably a centimeter gap in length. Although once the pads heat up and the foam loosens, it presses in and I feel the headphones droop a bit. Thus the wing spring tightening mod I underwent for these.

If you press the cups to your head, do you hear a difference?
How long did you have these headphones for? After 2-3 months of use, they do mold to fit your head if it's abnormally large like mine 
atsmile.gif

What is the wing spring mod? I have been stretching the wings downard in hopes of improving their force. It seems to have worked.

When I press the cups to my head, they sound quite a bit better. Much fuller sound. I don't think my head is that large.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #424 of 751
  What is the wing spring mod? I have been stretching the wings downard in hopes of improving their force. It seems to have worked.

When I press the cups to my head, they sound quite a bit better. Much fuller sound. I don't think my head is that large.

The wing spring mod isn't very known on these forums, and it's probably for the better.
Audio technica melted the plastic to the screws and without the proper phillips bit; the screws could easily strip.
The other factor is that it's not a major tightening upgrade like the rubber band. It's just enough to have the a900x not slide down so much compared to before.

So how it's done is that there are two screws under the hinges. Keep unscrewing everything until you're left with a white plastic tube. There's a spring inside this tube, and if it were to be stretched, it would require more force for the wings to push up with. 

However I did my own accidental modification, I re-inserted the tube wrong and I'm left with wings like this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650785/lightbox/post/9894631/id/953065

Was it great? Yes! But I was lucky to have it be a good mistake, so many things could have gone wrong.

Ignore the alpha pads, I no longer use them with the a900x.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #425 of 751
^^ROFL!
I need to do something about these freakin' wings too. Now that I'm rid of the terribly uncomfortable stock pads, that's starting to grate on me. Why in the hell couldn't they just use a nice headband like Sennheiser's HD580/600/650 series?!

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #427 of 751
  So back to pads, I need to decide on some that will improve the seal. The wings aren't really the problem at this point.

You may want to leave them as it is. If you're loving the current signature, there's no other pad other than the current ones that will seal and maintain that aspect from my experience.

Of course I don't have the same cranium as you and I can't vouch for that :p

The only earpads that did seal (it was also a really tough fit, tore the pads a bit in the process) are the Mr Speakers Alpha pads.
More sub bass, more mid bass, smoother mids, polite treble. Plus it sounded dark, something suited for what they were intended for (T50RP's).

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #428 of 751

You may want to leave them as it is. If you're loving the current signature, there's no other pad other than the current ones that will seal and maintain that aspect from my experience.

Of course I don't have the same cranium as you and I can't vouch for that :p

The only earpads that did seal (it was also a really tough fit, tore the pads a bit in the process) are the Mr Speakers Alpha pads.
More sub bass, more mid bass, smoother mids, polite treble. Plus it sounded dark, something suited for what they were intended for (T50RP's).

I actually prefer the sound of my ATH-M50s when I just let the ATH-A900Xs sit on my head. When I press the cups together, it is much better.

Perhaps I should return them and get something else?

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #429 of 751

I actually prefer the sound of my ATH-M50s when I just let the ATH-A900Xs sit on my head. When I press the cups together, it is much better.

Perhaps I should return them and get something else?

Perhaps you should :)

If it's the sound you're worried about, keep em for a little longer. Usually for me the deal killer is the comfort. Bad comfort = bad headphone (in my book, because this isn't just $20 walmart on-ears we're talking about here).

If you have a 90 day warranty, keep it for 75 days, and if you still don't like it; return it!

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #430 of 751
Hi everyone,

Have anyone tried to change ATH-A900X with ATH-A1000 (i find different posts here, some calls ATH-A1000 some W1000 also i found that ATH-A1000X) but Bagheera saying ATH-A1000 (cost about 35 EUR).

So just to dobule-check, should i order ATH-A1000 (something like this) and:

1. Do they feel more comfortable than original? (i am not very happy with original ones, after some time ears begin to sweat and holes seems bit too small, also they feel like "cheap" pleather)
2. Sound differs, of course it is up to me witch i like better, but what do You feel? It got better?
3. In this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW1NxpEtlG4) i see guy replacing pads with  ATH-W11JPN pads, and they seems to be even more conmfortable, is it possible to use with ATH-A900X? Though i can not find them somwhere.
4. Do You know any other comfortable pads that could fit ATH-A900X good/perfect?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Tried HiFiMan velours, won't talk about sound, too little knowledge. Had no problems putting them on with ring removed. What can i say about comfort, they seem to bring more clamping force, maybe good for one with smaller head, they feel like "over the ear" not "on". Also very sturdy, i would be happier if they were softer. So for the moment i don't feel huge improvement in comfort, but velours make them more skin friendly, not so hot, but still ears get hot with time, maybe it is my problem though.

Found and ordered this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/261361916880?var=560263831444&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) to try with A900X, will post my thoughts later.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #431 of 751
Hi, can anyone tell how the A900X's bass and soundstage compares to the JVC RX900?

My JVC RX900 just broke and I need a replacement so I need to know if the A900X would have at least the same amount of bass and soundstage as rx900.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #432 of 751
Would these make a suitable replacement for my hd598s? I love the hd598 sound sig but would like something closed for traveling/out of house use also. Particularly intrigued by these since they are described as having a wide sound stage (like hd598s!). I listen to alot of electronic music :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #433 of 751
  Would these make a suitable replacement for my hd598s? I love the hd598 sound sig but would like something closed for traveling/out of house use also. Particularly intrigued by these since they are described as having a wide sound stage (like hd598s!). I listen to alot of electronic music :)

They sound very different.
In my own experience I find a900x a lot more bassy, and a lot more to the face. the sound is much better than hd598 (one reason I returned the hd598). a900x will have more detail, better sound, different (but imo better) soundstage, and will provide a lot more joy in listening to most music, especially electronic music. you will be wowed by it and probably will not even care for hd598 for the electronic music after a900x. they are heavier btw than sennheisers, so can get uncomfortable after very long periods of use.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #434 of 751

They sound very different.
In my own experience I find a900x a lot more bassy, and a lot more to the face. the sound is much better than hd598 (one reason I returned the hd598). a900x will have more detail, better sound, different (but imo better) soundstage, and will provide a lot more joy in listening to most music, especially electronic music. you will be wowed by it and probably will not even care for hd598 for the electronic music after a900x. they are heavier btw than sennheisers, so can get uncomfortable after very long periods of use.

Is the a900x more bassy than a JVC RX900 or ath-M50?

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #435 of 751

Is the a900x more bassy than a JVC RX900 or ath-M50?

I can vouch for the ATH-M50, can't say anything about the RX900 though.

Strictly on bass, the A900X has a cleaner, a bit tighter mid bass. It doesn't have the sub bass quantity the ath-m50 has though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back