Audio Technica ATH-9000 Electret Condenser Stereophones
Apr 10, 2008 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

IceClass

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's some pix of my recently acquired ATH-9000s.
I'll post some impressions later on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 57
...and a few more for the electret fans.
cool.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 57
Except for that minor tear on the earpad's seam, they look to be in like-new shape. Ya done good, and we know you like the sound, but by any chance did the seller slip in the owner's manual, and does it mention anything about putting the electret material on the stators?

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 57
Congratulations! I did not even know these things existed =...= (or the AT fan in me would be looking for it all over).

May 5, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 57
I've bought 3 AT electrets recently. I bought a AT-706 that came with a Signet TK44 adapater. It had a slight canal imbalance, so when I saw a TK44 headphone on eBay, I bought it. When I got it, I discovered that both the adapter and the 706 were modified with TRS plug/jack, so I couldn't use the TK44.

Last week I got an ATH-7, with adapter that the TK44 can plug into. I've been listening to the ATH-7 and TK44 for about a week and really like the sound.

Amazingly enough, I can run the AT-706 out of the headphone out of my NAD amp. I haven't really listened much though.

May 6, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiryu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those look pretty sweet, with their original box nice! wonder how fierce the bidding went.

Fierce enough to hurt.
redface.gif

It was the most I've yet spent on a pair of cans.
wink.gif

So far though, it has been money well spent. I've enjoyed them immensely but I'm not sure I like them better than my AT706 and I'm not yet sure why.

The AT9000 has a darker sound signature and produces "more" or at least "different" bass but I miss the highs of the 706.
I switch back from time to time to the 706s and immediately notice a difference but within that difference there is pluses and minuses and I end up listening to them quite interchangeably.

I would say the 9000s are an improvement for bassheads but at the expense of the highs which although not objectionably veiled are not as clear as the 706.
The 9000 does somehow sound a little more detailed and faster than the 706 to my ear.

I'm still very much in evaluation mode with these babies and am enjoying them immensely.

I did however get distracted by a pair of MDR-F1s that after months on electrets just blew me on my ass with it's soundstage-the trade-off is that the F1s are pretty merciless in showing the deficiancies in my source.

May 7, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does your AT706 have a TRS plug?

no It comes with a four pin connector and an adaptor box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back