Audio Technica ATH-9000 Electret Condenser Stereophones
May 16, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, they stack up well to my Magnavox SR-3 clone. I've never heard a real SR-3. Just looking at pictures of them, I'm sure they're better than the Magnavox because of the open cups. They're not as good as the SR-5 though.

The Magnavox is nothing like the SR-3 and rightly so as the design of the housing is awful. The drivers aren't even fixed in place, just held there by the damping foam. The SR-3 (not SR-3N) is one of the best phones Stax has ever made when it comes to pure musicality and the only normal bias phone I've kept.

May 16, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Magnavox is nothing like the SR-3 and rightly so as the design of the housing is awful. The drivers aren't even fixed in place, just held there by the damping foam. The SR-3 (not SR-3N) is one of the best phones Stax has ever made when it comes to pure musicality and the only normal bias phone I've kept.

That's what I get for editing and inserting a couple of sentences between 2 sentences that need to go together. I meant that the SR-5 is better than the Magnavox and electrets.

May 16, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

The SR-3 (not SR-3N) is one of the best phones Stax has ever made when it comes to pure musicality and the only normal bias phone I've kept.

Interesting comment. I think you're overstating the inferiority of the Magnavox, which don't sound all that bad, but like others here I've never heard a real SR-3. I do like my Superex, which I was toying with trading away for a while until I realized that with certain music it's better than its technically-superior brethren.

Do you think we could say that the SR-3 is in the sense of its musicality the "pure" pre-earspeaker, normal bias Stax, not necessarily the best, but the one that best exemplified a certain ideal, while later models were all just steps toward a new ideal that would be brought to fruition with the Sigma and Lambda? In other words, can we say that something like an SR-5 or 5NB would be an ideal starter stat, but that if you have a Lambda, it makes more sense to have an SR-3 instead?

For me now the Superex is standing in this position, while I've let go of my SR-5 and am thinking of selling the SR-X as well, simply because between the Superex, Lambda, and my Yamaha YH-100, I have everything the SR-X can do covered better elsewhere.

May 16, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting comment. I think you're overstating the inferiority of the Magnavox, which don't sound all that bad, but like others here I've never heard a real SR-3. I do like my Superex, which I was toying with trading away for a while until I realized that with certain music it's better than its technically-superior brethren.

Do you think we could say that the SR-3 is in the sense of its musicality the "pure" pre-earspeaker, normal bias Stax, not necessarily the best, but the one that best exemplified a certain ideal, while later models were all just steps toward a new ideal that would be brought to fruition with the Sigma and Lambda? In other words, can we say that something like an SR-5 or 5NB would be an ideal starter stat, but that if you have a Lambda, it makes more sense to have an SR-3 instead?

For me now the Superex is standing in this position, while I've let go of my SR-5 and am thinking of selling the SR-X as well, simply because between the Superex, Lambda, and my Yamaha YH-100, I have everything the SR-X can do covered better elsewhere.

I'm certainly not understating the Magnavox's inferiority though others might like them. They have similar qualities to the Jecklin Float where most information is washed out and nothing stands out. This is the reason why I don't own any dynamics...
wink.gif
Replace the damping, secure the drivers properly and the sound isn't as "mushy" any more. Go on... get that epoxy...
tongue.gif

The SR-3 is the typical old Stax sound before they got too excited by thinner diaphragms and pushing the limits. They simply sound great with anything you throw at them and will easily last another 40 years if you find a good one.

May 17, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

I'm certainly not understating the Magnavox's inferiority though others might like them. They have similar qualities to the Jecklin Float where most information is washed out and nothing stands out. This is the reason why I don't own any dynamics...
wink.gif
Replace the damping, secure the drivers properly and the sound isn't as "mushy" any more. Go on... get that epoxy...
tongue.gif

The SR-3 is the typical old Stax sound before they got too excited by thinner diaphragms and pushing the limits. They simply sound great with anything you throw at them and will easily last another 40 years if you find a good one.

Well, the only Magnavox I've heard was from your collection-- was that one redamped and epoxied?

You intrigue me about the SR-3. I've always found that the SR-5 frame seemed inherently better-sounding than the SR-X frame, but that it couldn't quite keep up. I thought this meant I should keep my eyes peeled for a 5NB; maybe really I should have been looking for a 3. My wallet would certainly prefer it. But one last question then: does the difference between a 3 and a 3N matter?

--edit: sorry for the threadjack! Last non-AT electret question, I promise--

May 17, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

wink.gif
tongue.gif

Washed out I find to be on the unfair side to the Jecklin electrostat. Its a little wibbly wobby, forgiving was one word I used when I reviewed them, and there was another one I don't recall and cba looking up. Ultimately for that sort of softer rounded presentation in a 'stat, I'd be looking at another SR-3N rather than another PS2 I think, especially with the typical price and condition variables.

May 17, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't AT produce the Signet TK33 electrostats of recent yore, or am I mistaken/misinformed?

Their yore was much less recent: 1978. And yes, ATUS (Audio-Technica USA) came up with the Signet division, which sold versions of existing A-T models that were either unavailable otherwise or slightly tweaked or both. I'd like to know in detail how the Signet models differed, if at all, from the A-T counterparts (example: Signet TK33 vs. A-T's ATH- 8).

May 17, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Well, the only Magnavox I've heard was from your collection-- was that one redamped and epoxied?

You intrigue me about the SR-3. I've always found that the SR-5 frame seemed inherently better-sounding than the SR-X frame, but that it couldn't quite keep up. I thought this meant I should keep my eyes peeled for a 5NB; maybe really I should have been looking for a 3. My wallet would certainly prefer it. But one last question then: does the difference between a 3 and a 3N matter?

--edit: sorry for the threadjack! Last non-AT electret question, I promise--

Your Magnavox is stock except for the wiring setup. The Marantz SE-1 is the same headphone except they used better pads, damping and the drivers were glued in place and it shows. They are all nice headphones but Stax knew what they were doing by making their own sets more expensive and better sounding.

The SR-3 and SR-3N are from the same family but the difference ends there. Both are great headphones but there are some similarities to the Lambda line here. The phones get "better" but loose something in the process. There is simply that x-factor with the SR-3 that the others lack and driving it off the SRA-3S makes it even better. Yay for 40 year old 'stats!!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Washed out I find to be on the unfair side to the Jecklin electrostat. Its a little wibbly wobby, forgiving was one word I used when I reviewed them, and there was another one I don't recall and cba looking up. Ultimately for that sort of softer rounded presentation in a 'stat, I'd be looking at another SR-3N rather than another PS2 I think, especially with the typical price and condition variables.

It was simply to soft and overblown in the bass for me. It could be improved with a new frame but then I could just find some old RtR drivers and make my own set from scratch. The new BH will have enough voltage to make them scream, literally.
cool.gif

May 17, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #40 of 57
I got mine ATH-9000 a couple of weeks ago 112€
smily_headphones1.gif

I was surpriced by the amount of bass in them, I was expecting lesser because it was electeret, but I really like it...
The pads fits with beyerpads, and they ar nice with the pelather beyers on them, I have not tried the velours yet..

May 17, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Your Magnavox is stock except for the wiring setup.

That Magnavox (and the Marantz) both belong to ericj now, I'm afraid. All I've got from that grand deal is the Superex, which I still do enjoy quite a bit.

May 17, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

That Magnavox (and the Marantz) both belong to ericj now, I'm afraid. All I've got from that grand deal is the Superex, which I still do enjoy quite a bit.

The Suprex is a great headphone and there is still something more that could be done to them by securing the drivers even better.

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine ATH-9000 a couple of weeks ago 112€
smily_headphones1.gif

I was surpriced by the amount of bass in them, I was expecting lesser because it was electeret, but I really like it...
The pads fits with beyerpads, and they ar nice with the pelather beyers on them, I have not tried the velours yet..

I'm glad you like the bass; what sort of amp are you powering them with?

Which model Beyer pads did you find fit well?

Got any photos?

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #45 of 57
So far though, it has been money well spent. I've enjoyed them immensely but I'm not sure I like them better than my AT706 and I'm not yet sure why.

The AT9000 has a darker sound signature and produces "more" or at least "different" bass but I miss the highs of the 706.
I switch back from time to time to the 706s and immediately notice a difference but within that difference there is pluses and minuses and I end up listening to them quite interchangeably.

I would say the 9000s are an improvement for bassheads but at the expense of the highs which although not objectionably veiled are not as clear as the 706.

I have now ATH-7 and ATH-9000 side by side and have a similar impression (ATH-9000 just received, so not much listening time yet).

ATH-7 has a more electrostatic sound signature. Amazing with female vocals and not very intense music. On few compositions I think they may outperform Stax (but not generally). They are hard to drive and driver unit easily starts overloading, so I listen to them with a somewhat lower volume than I am used to (I do not know if overloading hurts the cans, but don't wanna risk it). Perhaps not an optimal choice for a main system (but at their price second-hand they are truly outstanding), but definitely worth having.

ATH-9000 has more juicy sound, more bass and more punch, but maybe a bit less detail. Easier to drive (with same volume setting on the amp ATH-9000 is much louder than ATH-7). Closer to dynamic signature, though I say this from memory of using Beyerdynamic T1 at my friend's place ages ago – myself I have only electrostats and IEMs. Definitely more universal and can be a main system. At the same time so far I cannot say they are better – just different.

Driver unit of ATH-9000 is superior though, doesn't overload easily, works beautifully with either of the cans.

P. S. I also got ATH-80 driver, which looks like the top of the line, much heavier, two headphones jacks, additional indication. However I haven't been successful in making it work so far. At least it didn't come to life from the amp input alone – apparently it needs power (DC6V), and I don't have the power supply. Will try again after getting some DC6V power supply. Chances are high the unit is dead, and no idea if Audio-Technica can help to repair it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back