Audio-Technica AT-HA5000 vs. Higher Fidelity HA-01 (photos)
Aug 9, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #46 of 127
Wohooooo!! A miracle happened, it just arrived!
biggrin.gif
Customs free even
biggrin.gif

It's really heavy!
wink.gif
English manual, they have patents in germany and other places in the world, seems the company is serious to bring this to western countries. Volume Pot has "steps". Now i just need a powercord!
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #48 of 127
First Impression: GREAT! BUT.. i do get the background noise too and it doesnt change with raising volume even to max. It seems to be similar to what IEM Users get from some portables, definately no EM noise. Maybe it would go away with higher impedence headphones? Anyway it's only bothering on some very low volume classical passages and you probably dont want a W5000 or similar AT phone for classical music anyway
biggrin.gif

Listening the HA-01 adds impact and slam, deeper bass, dynamics, imaging, everything improves alot. I never thought the W5000 sounds lifeless, but going back from HA01 to my CD5300 (which has a real headphone amp tuned to the AT-W1000, no cheap solution) the W5000 sounds sterile, boring and lifeless suddenly
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #49 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
First Impression: GREAT! BUT.. i do get the background noise too and it doesnt change with raising volume even to max. It seems to be similar to what IEM Users get from some portables

Seems this amp isn't designed specifically for W5000s and alike.
Too much gain.
Maybe such a small manufacturer does respond to special requests (like Singlepower does).
For the W5000s I guess even unity gain would be enough.

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #50 of 127
Maybe Jan Meier does custom jobs and could lower the gain on that amps circuit?
wink.gif

@fkclo: Could you try to ask the manufacturer about the gain setting? I have no idea how this is done in amps, but maybe its user do-able?

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #51 of 127
Quote:

Maybe Jan Meier does custom jobs and could lower the gain on that amps circuit?
wink.gif

@fkclo: Could you try to ask the manufacturer about the gain setting? I have no idea how this is done in amps, but maybe its user do-able?

Hi all,

I am on business trip in USA and should be back to Hong Kong next week. Will report the noise problem to the HA01 distributor and see how they will address it. Will then revert later.

Sorry for the wait, but I have to earn a living :)

F. Lo

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #52 of 127
bizkid, glad you received the amp, your impressions are spot on IMO.

Also a bit comforting to hear that you have the same noise issue, i was beginning to wonder if i had received a faulty unit.

fkclo, looking forward to hearing what the distributor has to say.
Anyway, the noise issue is not a deal-breaker for me, i can happily live with it.

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #53 of 127
Do you still have noise when you use your higher impedance headphones, like a HD600 or HD650?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobs
bizkid, glad you received the amp, your impressions are spot on IMO.

Also a bit comforting to hear that you have the same noise issue, i was beginning to wonder if i had received a faulty unit.

fkclo, looking forward to hearing what the distributor has to say.
Anyway, the noise issue is not a deal-breaker for me, i can happily live with it.

Aug 10, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #54 of 127
The noise issue isnt a deal breaker for me at all either. Another user suggested me to remove the ground/earth signal from the powercable, he had/has similar problems with his mpx3. I'll probably try it later today..

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #55 of 127
Has anyone compare the HA-01 to the HA5000? If so, more details please.

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #56 of 127
I can't compare except that my HA5000's are dead quite for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
Has anyone compare the HA-01 to the HA5000? If so, more details please.

Aug 10, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #57 of 127
Can you order these for shipment to the U.S.? If so, are the voltages user-switchable?

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #58 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Can you order these for shipment to the U.S.? If so, are the voltages user-switchable?

As far as i know Kingsound ship worldwide. And yes, the voltage is user-switchable.

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #59 of 127
Quote:

Listening the HA-01 adds impact and slam, deeper bass, dynamics, imaging, everything improves alot. I never thought the W5000 sounds lifeless, but going back from HA01 to my CD5300 (which has a real headphone amp tuned to the AT-W1000, no cheap solution) the W5000 sounds sterile, boring and lifeless suddenly
biggrin.gif

Hi bizkid. I also have the W5000 and I'm so close to ordering one myself but I'm a bit confused with some of your findings...please help.

Are saying that with the W5000 / CD5300 pairing, the W5000 sounds sterile, boring and lifeless compared to the W5000 / HA01 pairing?

How is it that the volume pot has "steps"? Does it incorporate a standard "volume pot" or a "stepped attenuator"?
blink.gif

Thanks bizkid
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #60 of 127
Would just like to add that Samuel from Kingsound tried the amp with a DT-880. He did not hear any noise even with volume at max, so this is obviously a low impedance problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back