Audio-Technica AT-BHA100 & AT-DAC100
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #36 of 152
Was listening to my Sony MDR-Z1R through the AT-BHA100 and am still surprised there aren't more reviews about this headphone amp. I'm loving it though it doesn't have a more "meaty" tube sound.

Source is a Frank Sinatra LP on an AT-LP5X, fed into a Schiit Mani.
I think the problem is that the bha100 is very source dependent amp that is very revealing of in my case my DAC colourations. I find that the BHA100 main colouring being its slightly bright tonality and its organic boost to dynamics.

I find that the amp needs to be burned in for 100ish hours so that the sound stabilises.Also kind of sad that the amp sounds like ultra garbage forward 1k to 5k with extremely bloated bass out of the box and only becomes good about 30 hours in.

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #38 of 152
Any comment after a period of listening? Thanks a lot
I'm afraid I never got the chance to listen to it. Jaben were meant to be sending it to me, but there were delays their end and I ended up getting a Sparkos Labs Aries, which I'm very happy with. I'd still like to hear this amp at some point, though EU availability seems elusive.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #39 of 152
I'm afraid I never got the chance to listen to it. Jaben were meant to be sending it to me, but there were delays their end and I ended up getting a Sparkos Labs Aries, which I'm very happy with. I'd still like to hear this amp at some point, though EU availability seems elusive.
Thanks sharing , and enjoy your Sparkos Labs Aries , seems a great headphone amp and the price a double of BHA100

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #40 of 152
20210408_093650.jpg

I have just got the AT-BHA 100 to pair with Chord Hugo 2, driving Meze Empyrean, Focal Stellia, Obravo HAMT 3 MKII and Dan Clark Ether Flow Open 1.1.

The device still needs a bit run in but the first listening is very pleasant with neutral, open and airy presentation. Imaging is very good with dark background.

PS: I locate at Hong Kong.

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #41 of 152
Nice. What i notice is that you have quite abit of planars. I would recomend using the BHA100 as a tube buffer to colour the sound and send it into a powerful SS amp to optimise the sound.

At lest my issue is that the bha 100 balanced out still cant push hard enough for my r70x and he560 to sound their best but the improved coloured dynamics from the bha100 helps alot.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #42 of 152
20210410_002609.jpg

What a visual bliss.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #44 of 152
That does look good! How does the C9 compare to the BA100?
C9 is obviously more technical advanced in terms of functionalities and connectivity. Soundwise C9 is also one of the best in portable amp with strong output, good high to low extension and imaging. However it is still limited by its battery operated mode so the overall control, dynamics and background darkness are less appealing compared to desktop amp such as the BA100. I found BA100 needs time to run in (around 30 mins) after turning on to achieve best performance, mainly due to the tube preamp stage. Soundwise it has neutral signature with very beautiful mid, deep low and smooth high. Presentation is very airy with good layering. Background is very dark and despite it has lower output than C9, the overall control is much better and soundstage is also more holographic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back