Audio-Technica AT-BHA100 & AT-DAC100
Oct 13, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 152
Is so strange... No balanced output from the DAC and an Amp fully balanced...
I just heard from Audio-Technica HK about why the DAC is RCA only and they replied simply: " Hi, thanks for your suggestion and support. We’ll consider your suggestion for our next phase."

Useless.

I also asked about purchasing on-line, they replied: "Hi, we don’t sell online. Please contact our distributor at: http://www.yeefook.com.hk/about-en.php"

Also fairly useless.

I guess units will populate the internet once it's been out there for a while. As ever, Audio-Technica's marketing philosophy is lamentably incompetent.

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #17 of 152
am not interested in the DAC but the amp look promising

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #19 of 152
Oct 13, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #21 of 152
I just heard from Audio-Technica HK about why the DAC is RCA only and they replied simply: " Hi, thanks for your suggestion and support. We’ll consider your suggestion for our next phase."

Useless.

I also asked about purchasing on-line, they replied: "Hi, we don’t sell online. Please contact our distributor at: http://www.yeefook.com.hk/about-en.php"

Also fairly useless.

I guess units will populate the internet once it's been out there for a while. As ever, Audio-Technica's marketing philosophy is lamentably incompetent.
It's horrible when you write a lot to ask something about a product or products that you want to buy and the company or on-line shop answer you with a "copy-paste" or with vagueness.

About the AMP, like I said, the only thing that I don't like is that it has the gain selector in the back.

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #22 of 152
Dec 8, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #29 of 152
I've been playing with a few different dacs with the showroom BHA100 and I have to say that the amp takes on whichevers dac colouration very well. The BHA100 itself colours slightly bright with quite abit of added air and still remains very thight unlike the feliks echo which gives a smooth upper end which I find to be not as pleasing personally.

Of my modest collection of entry level stuff I found the Fiio K5 pro to pair the best with BHA100. Honestly as long as the sound is on the warm side and of the thickness you like it should work. I found that besides the tasteful treble boost the amp is mostly transparent and its main function is to bring the dynamics of your headphone up and to clean up any micro grain. As a side result vocals have this interesting fade effect(I think upper mid/treble decay might be slightly stretched as well have to listen more).

If you dont mind a +2.5dB bass shelf eq to 200hz I found the SMSL M500 to be very nice as well. Personally I favour this pairing as vocals are sufficiently thin so they don't get in the way instruments while still being forward.

Personally I dont really like the DAC100, its feels like saber but without enough bass body and quite a intense upper mid that doesnt pair with the BHA100. Quite hard to justify unless you like AT upper mid colouring taken to the extreme.

Headphone pairing wise I would say it really depands on what DAC you pair with it but I personally found that Bass neutural headphones(AWKT,SRH1840,ADX5000 demo) pair best to get the most of the increased dynamics. Bass biased headphones(AWAS demo,WP900 demo,R70X,MSR7) while you still get a nice sound you dont get as strong a slam as the bass neutral headphones.

I'm personally getting the BHA100 tomorow, will see if it was just bad dac pairing when I tried a couple of months back or it needs burn in. I feel that despite being a hybrid it can potentially replace my iha-6 as it has no issues pushing the R70X on XLR.

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #30 of 152
Just a quick update, the amp needs at lest 32hrs break in to stabilize to a usable sound. Right off the when opening the sound was quite bloobly with an intense upper mid/vocal presence. Even now even though the amp has opened up alot it still has abit too much upper mids intensity at lest compared to the demo unit at the AT tree house. Its mostly ok but badly recorded electric guitars can get grating.

Just curous do all tube amps go though this break in phase as I dont think I've ever experenced it with solid state amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back