Audio-Technica ART Monitor Series Refreshed: A2000Z, A1000Z, A900Z, A500Z
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #181 of 263
Someone asked me for a comparison between the MSR-7 and the A990Z, thought I would post it here. I also threw the A1000Z in there as well, which I ended up getting. I used Pink Floyd's The Wall as the test album, mostly CD2 - first 3 tracks & Comfortably Numb, which I am very familiar with. Used a Cavalli EHHA rev 1 (DIY) and Rudistor RPX-33 MK2 for amplification, and a Soekris dam1021 R2R DAC.

MSR-7 – All the sound is there, not as filled out as the others (might be described as lean). Crisp, clean, PRaT is well executed, attack and decay can be well observed. Highly resolving, but not overly analytical or sterile. Bottom end does not have as much quantity as the others, not as big, but it fits well with the rest of the spectrum due to the headphones relatively lean nature overall. The other side of this is Instrument separation, which is excellent. Lots of room to breathe from top to bottom; This is at the core of the sound profile of this headphone, I feel.

A990Z – Vocals come through with more emotion, compared to the MSR-7. More musical overall, but a bit "soft". Presentation is more forward and up-front than the MSR-7. The instruments have a bit more weight, but compared to the MSR-7 there is less perceived space between them. Bottom end is bigger, perceived texturing is not as well done as the MSR-7, especially during complex passages. Bottom end leaves you wanting a bit more separation from rest of the spectrum. Midrange is slightly recessed. Great sense of room dynamics / reverb, edges out even the A1000Z in this regard.

Switching from A990Z to MSR-7 has you turning the volume up. Not as easy to listen to, edges are harder compared to the A990Z. One can see how the MSR-7’s might be a better fit in a studio vs the A990Z which might be better suited for home listening. Though if you aren’t switching back and forth between it and a more “musical” headphone, you would not jump to this conclusion all too quickly, I know I didn’t!

A1000Z – Instruments separation is noticeably better, compared to the A990Z. Allowing them to be better resolved and display texture without as much difficulty. Instruments have more dimensions than the A990Z. The other side of this is that sound is perceived to be just a bit further from listener. While the A1000Z is not as upfront sounding as the A990Z, it retains most of the emotional expression of its younger sibling. Sound profile is not as “soft” as the A990Z, but still a great contrast to the MSR-7.

The A990Z is great if you like a very upfront sound, but you will sacrifice instrument separation for it. It’s also a bit softer approach to an upfront sound than say a Grado headphone. I will say that if you keep this on your head without switching to its bigger brother you will be very happy with it.

The A1000Z is very well put together, the changes between it and the A990Z are enough that the it has a different sound profile altogether. It puts the listener a further from front row, has better instrument separation which yields quite a few technical advantages sonically. It also comes equipped with nice earpads, a stiffer suspension on the wing system (headphone does not slide down as far compared to the 990). It's also a bit better detailed aesthetically, as one would expect, the red cups are pretty cool.

The MSR-7 is more a cousin to the other two than a sibling, and will perform well in studio / monitoring environments. Though many, including myself, have found it a pleasure to listen to at home.

I would recommend using an amp best suited for low impedance headphones for all three. A tube/hybrid might have better synergy with the A1000Z or the MSR-7 than solid state.

I will probably end up selling the A990Z, as it was really purchased as a backup in-case I could not acquire the A1000Z. Even though the upgrade was not completely vertical, currently I'm trying my best to keep my headphone collection low ..ish.
Great impressions. One of these days i will get myself a1000z

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #182 of 263
Thank you for this great comparison Arteom! It was a pleasure to read it. Sometimes the MSR7 can be edgy sounding, but it can be well tamed with a "softer" amplifier. I'm afraid a significantly softer sounding headphone would be boring on the long run, as it happened with the R70x. On the other hand I couldn't live with the AD900x because it had a high peak somewhere at 8-9kHz, but those are open cans anyway. I've had the W1000X which was way too "V" shaped but that can had wonderful (warmish) highs. If it had less bass and more midrange it would have been perfect. Maybe the W1000Z is what I'm after. Based on your description the A1000Z is better suited for my needs but since it goes for the same price as the W1000Z it's a pretty hard decision... Have you heard the W1000Z?

Thanks and have a great time with the A1000Z :)

Someone asked me for a comparison between the MSR-7 and the A990Z, thought I would post it here. I also threw the A1000Z in there as well, which I ended up getting. I used Pink Floyd's The Wall as the test album, mostly CD2 - first 3 tracks & Comfortably Numb, which I am very familiar with. Used a Cavalli EHHA rev 1 (DIY) and Rudistor RPX-33 MK2 for amplification, and a Soekris dam1021 R2R DAC.

MSR-7 – All the sound is there, not as filled out as the others (might be described as lean). Crisp, clean, PRaT is well executed, attack and decay can be well observed. Highly resolving, but not overly analytical or sterile. Bottom end does not have as much quantity as the others, not as big, but it fits well with the rest of the spectrum due to the headphones relatively lean nature overall. The other side of this is Instrument separation, which is excellent. Lots of room to breathe from top to bottom; This is at the core of the sound profile of this headphone, I feel.

A990Z – Vocals come through with more emotion, compared to the MSR-7. More musical overall, but a bit "soft". Presentation is more forward and up-front than the MSR-7. The instruments have a bit more weight, but compared to the MSR-7 there is less perceived space between them. Bottom end is bigger, perceived texturing is not as well done as the MSR-7, especially during complex passages. Bottom end leaves you wanting a bit more separation from rest of the spectrum. Midrange is slightly recessed. Great sense of room dynamics / reverb, edges out even the A1000Z in this regard.

Switching from A990Z to MSR-7 has you turning the volume up. Not as easy to listen to, edges are harder compared to the A990Z. One can see how the MSR-7’s might be a better fit in a studio vs the A990Z which might be better suited for home listening. Though if you aren’t switching back and forth between it and a more “musical” headphone, you would not jump to this conclusion all too quickly, I know I didn’t!

A1000Z – Instruments separation is noticeably better, compared to the A990Z. Allowing them to be better resolved and display texture without as much difficulty. Instruments have more dimensions than the A990Z. The other side of this is that sound is perceived to be just a bit further from listener. While the A1000Z is not as upfront sounding as the A990Z, it retains most of the emotional expression of its younger sibling. Sound profile is not as “soft” as the A990Z, but still a great contrast to the MSR-7.

The A990Z is great if you like a very upfront sound, but you will sacrifice instrument separation for it. It’s also a bit softer approach to an upfront sound than say a Grado headphone. I will say that if you keep this on your head without switching to its bigger brother you will be very happy with it.

The A1000Z is very well put together, the changes between it and the A990Z are enough that the it has a different sound profile altogether. It puts the listener a further from front row, has better instrument separation which yields quite a few technical advantages sonically. It also comes equipped with nice earpads, a stiffer suspension on the wing system (headphone does not slide down as far compared to the 990). It's also a bit better detailed aesthetically, as one would expect, the red cups are pretty cool.

The MSR-7 is more a cousin to the other two than a sibling, and will perform well in studio / monitoring environments. Though many, including myself, have found it a pleasure to listen to at home.

I would recommend using an amp best suited for low impedance headphones for all three. A tube/hybrid might have better synergy with the A1000Z or the MSR-7 than solid state.

I will probably end up selling the A990Z, as it was really purchased as a backup in-case I could not acquire the A1000Z. Even though the upgrade was not completely vertical, currently I'm trying my best to keep my headphone collection low ..ish.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #183 of 263
Great impressions. One of these days i will get myself a1000z

Definitely worth hearing. I haven't personally heard the A2000Z, but from what I've read I get the impression that the A1000Z (and maybe the W1000Z, which I haven't heard) is the sweet spot in this line.

Thank you for this great comparison Arteom! It was a pleasure to read it. Sometimes the MSR7 can be edgy sounding, but it can be well tamed with a "softer" amplifier. I'm afraid a significantly softer sounding headphone would be boring on the long run, as it happened with the R70x. On the other hand I couldn't live with the AD900x because it had a high peak somewhere at 8-9kHz, but those are open cans anyway. I've had the W1000X which was way too "V" shaped but that can had wonderful (warmish) highs. If it had less bass and more midrange it would have been perfect. Maybe the W1000Z is what I'm after. Based on your description the A1000Z is better suited for my needs but since it goes for the same price as the W1000Z it's a pretty hard decision... Have you heard the W1000Z?

Thanks and have a great time with the A1000Z

You're most welcome, glad I could help! My experience with the ATH line is with the AD2000, ESW9, A990Z, A1000Z & MSR-7. Have always wanted to try one of the full size woody ATH headphones, but they seem to be all over the place as far as sound and price. I did have my eye on the W1000Z as well, but got a great deal on the A1000Z second-hand, pretty happy with it. I give ATH great credit for the work they've done in the closed headphone realm, something that is hard to get right. I think they've hit the mark with the A1000Z, ESW9 & the MSR-7 (and likely others that I've not heard). Never thought myself part of team ATH, but here I am :L3000:.

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #184 of 263
Definitely worth hearing. I haven't personally heard the A2000Z, but from what I've read I get the impression that the A1000Z (and maybe the W1000Z, which I haven't heard) is the sweet spot in this line.

You're most welcome, glad I could help! My experience with the ATH line is with the AD2000, ESW9, A990Z, A1000Z & MSR-7. Have always wanted to try one of the full size woody ATH headphones, but they seem to be all over the place as far as sound and price. I did have my eye on the W1000Z as well, but got a great deal on the A1000Z second-hand, pretty happy with it. I give ATH great credit for the work they've done in the closed headphone realm, something that is hard to get right. I think they've hit the mark with the A1000Z, ESW9 & the MSR-7 (and likely others that I've not heard). Never thought myself part of team ATH, but here I am :L3000:.

A2000Z is one of the few closed headphones I really enjoyed listening to. At MSRP I don't think its worth it but if you can find one used (which seems to be rare) I think it is a worthy upgrade over the A1000Z. As far as woodies go, yeah they're all over the place lol. I had a modded W1000X which was a smoother V, but there's also stuff like the W5000 which is perhaps the one of the weirdest sounding closed headphones I have ever tried. FWIW I loved them but I can definitely see why they aren't well received

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #191 of 263
I received my A1000Z yesterday. First impressions are great, they are very comfy (well most ATs are for me) and they are lightweight. It feels a bit weird first like being cheap or something, I usually appreciate some weight, it's definitely light (and it's a good thing comfortwise). The sound felt a bit lifeless at first, but after only a few hours they opened up nicely. I only have about 4-5 hours in it so I'm sure there's more to come, but it's definitely much better than straight out of box. I used 2 sources: a Teac HA-P50 portable DAC/amp, which is a bit inadequate I guess but it can drive the A1000Z without problems, and my desktop chain, a Xonar Essence One (with LM4562 opamps) and a Myryad Z40 amplifier. This combo provided much better results as it was expected. It's definitely a decent upgrade over the MSR7 as arteom said before.

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #194 of 263
These don't really seem like the kind of headphones poeple would pair with a tube amp but has anyone who owns an A1000z or 2000z tried? I'm curious about the results

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #195 of 263
These don't really seem like the kind of headphones poeple would pair with a tube amp but has anyone who owns an A1000z or 2000z tried? I'm curious about the results

I haven't tried all tube, but have tried tube/ss hybrid, and would recommend that over solid state. The A1000Z is bright by nature, so pairing it with something that will soften that a bit and give it some dimension is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back