Audio-Technica ART Monitor Series Refreshed: A2000Z, A1000Z, A900Z, A500Z
Dec 5, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #136 of 263
  Thanks for replying

Do share a bit how or what make you prefer them?  I am more of old 60-70s rocks, bit of alternate n bit of nine inch nails ,daft punk etc listener.

just 2000z for 400Euro seems like a great deal :D

I like A1000z better because of the fit & comfort factor. Meze 99 ear pads are too small for me and becomes quite uncomfortable in 30 minutes. I changed the ear pads to BrainWavz and didn't really like the feeling (the BW pads are a bit loose on the Meze 99). Also, the Meze 99 likes to eat my hair ... almost every single time I put it on.

For sound signature on those genres, I wouldn't rate them as significantly better than another. It also depends on how you like them to sound. 

Again, I cannot speak for A2000z since I've never heard them. (The finish on the A2000z isn't my cup of tea -- The deep red of A1000z is, as well as wood cups on the Meze 99).

However, if you intend to take it outside or using it on the go, even occasionally, the Meze 99 all the way.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #137 of 263
  Thanks for replying

Do share a bit how or what make you prefer them?  I am more of old 60-70s rocks, bit of alternate n bit of nine inch nails ,daft punk etc listener.

just 2000z for 400Euro seems like a great deal :D

I was in the similar position, waiting for a good deal on the A1000Z, but got the 2000Z instead. Have to agree with others, your music taste might suggest the Meze or the A1000Z to be more suitable.
A1000Z are warmer than the A2000Z (= neutral), but the treble on the A2000z is notably better. I like the fact that they bring out the best qualities of the treble (= not harsh or sibilant, which bothered me a bit on the 1000Z). Subbass is actually quite ok (maybe even a bit better than on the R70x) and it never interferes with mids. The upper bass, which gives the body and warmth is somewhat subdued compared to the A1000Z.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #139 of 263
Edit: @FullBright1 botched the quote feature, sorry.

Quote:

Ok,  Ive a quick report on the ATH-1000Z.
Out of the box its one of the best sounding headphones ive heard, pre-break in..
Some online reviews, i have realized,  mistook the clarity of this very light headphone for "bright".
Its not bright, its just astonishingly clear.....its "light and airy"....very unique sound with supreme separation of instruments.
It has 95% of the clarity = the HiFi Man HE560 with a bit of warmth dialed in.
@2x the price this gear is a steal..
Its a great headphone.....One of the best ive heard regarding honesty in the details = instruments and vocals sound accurate.
As a matter of fact the vocals have very similar detail you find in the Senn HD series.
Very wide soundstage for a closed HP......reminds me a bit of the "S"-UltraSone sound, yet, better.
Comfort is a 9, but... you'll have to rotate the pads to find the sweet spot.
If you find the MSR7's too bright, then these would make you smile.

What was your sauce on this? Amp/DAC? Dedicated sound card? Integrated sound?

I'm driving from a laptop workstation at work after picking these up a ~week ago. Haven't had a ton of burn-in yet, but my god, I find the sibilance/brightness brutal. I have a pair of A900Xs that have made me wince due to sibilance, and these are tinnier, yet. Trying to decide if I should be looking at getting a good amp/DAC and that the source is the issue, or if my ears aren't made for the A1000Z and I should be grabbing something different. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #140 of 263

What was your sauce on this? Amp/DAC? Dedicated sound card? Integrated sound?

I'm driving from a laptop workstation at work after picking these up a ~week ago. Haven't had a ton of burn-in yet, but my god, I find the sibilance/brightness brutal. I have a pair of A900Xs that have made me wince on due to sibilance, and these are tinnier, yet. Trying to decide if I should be looking at getting a good amp/DAC and that the source is the issue, or if my ears aren't made for the A1000Z and I should be grabbing something different. 

All Audio-Technica headphones are bright, except for one set.
"Bright" is their sound signature, similar to Beyer, or Shure or AKG.
All these brands, are going to satisfy the treble lover moreso then the person looking for accuracy in the mids or big bass response.
If you dont like bright, then dont buy ATech Headphones, except for the R70X.
If you can stand "bright", then the A1000Z's are a very good headphone for the price.
They are a bit more "airy" and delicate sounding then something like the MSR7's.
But yes, AT Headphones are bright. (except for the nearly perfect R70X).
Maybe that is the one for you, as its a true reference headphone, its tuned more like a good Sennheiser, and its extremely comfortable.
Definitely stay away from the Sony MDR-7520, as that one is also quite bright.
I use the Tascam UH-7000, or an Audient iD22, or a Apogee "One", most of the time with all my headphones.

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #142 of 263
Some Audio Technica IEMs are also not bright. An example being the ATH-CKR10. Signature is similar, if not the IEM equivalent to the HD600 with a little more bodied and punchier bass section in my opinion.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #143 of 263
The w5000 is far from bright, 

I have no experience with the W5000s, so i went to Headfi and Cnet for a review.  Both of the reviews i found said they are (treble) bright headphones.  But as i said, i have not heard them, so, i cant give a personal testimony regarding their sound.

=========================

Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones review:  CNET

Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones​

By: Reviewed: 4 June 2008
  Updated: 21 October 2010

""""In addition, the W5000s deliver a bright treble """"
Here is a Headfi review comment:
Posted 7/9/15
By titaniumgrade5
Pros: great for vocals and classical
Cons: the plastic wings on headband could be made sturdier

""""These are bright and extremely detailed.""""""

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #144 of 263

I have no experience with the W5000s, so i went to Headfi and Cnet for a review.  Both of the reviews i found said they are (treble) bright headphones.  But as i said, i have not heard them, so, i cant give a personal testimony regarding their sound.

=========================

Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones review:  CNET

Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones​

[COLOR=768696]By:
Reviewed: 4 June 2008

Updated: 21 October 2010

[/COLOR]

""""In addition, the W5000s deliver a bright treble """"

Here is a Headfi review comment:

[COLOR=6A6A6A]Posted [/COLOR]7/9/15

By [COLOR=22229C]titaniumgrade5[/COLOR]

Pros: great for vocals and classical

Cons: the plastic wings on headband could be made sturdier

""""These are bright and extremely detailed.""""""

Some people have called the m50x flat, some have called the q701 bass heavy. Not everyone will share an opinion, however cnet is far from a reliable source and have made tons of eccentric statements and praise headphones like the momentum and mdr 1a of having a relatively balanced sound. Also you can take a look at the huge treble dips yourself in measurements

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #145 of 263
Some people have called the m50x flat, some have called the q701 bass heavy. Not everyone will share an opinion, however cnet is far from a reliable source and have made tons of eccentric statements and praise headphones like the momentum and mdr 1a of having a relatively balanced sound. Also you can take a look at the huge treble dips yourself in measurements

As i said.
Ive not owned the W5000s., so, i cant offer my take on their sound.
However when gathering data, when reviewing a certain product.....when you have a consensus, then you have the rule.
So, yes, there is probably 1 person in 567,890 that says the Q701 is bass heavy, however, you dont prove the rule by one in a million that you can find.
You prove the rule by the majority consensus.
So, as i said, the majority of ATech headphones are designed with a brighter treble approach.....such as the MSR7.
However there are a few AT's to be found that are not going to blister your ears with high end......such as the R70x.
But for the most part, as per 99% of the reviews of ATech headphones, the reviewer is going to say....."Bright" in the review, at some point.

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #146 of 263
As i said.
Ive not owned the W5000s., so, i cant offer my take on their sound.
However when gathering data, when reviewing a certain product.....when you have a consensus, then you have the rule.
So, yes, there is probably 1 person in 567,890 that says the Q701 is bass heavy, however, you dont prove the rule by one in a million that you can find.
You prove the rule by the majority consensus.
So, as i said, the majority of ATech headphones are designed with a brighter treble approach.....such as the MSR7.
However there are a few AT's to be found that are not going to blister your ears with high end......such as the R70x.
But for the most part, as per 99% of the reviews of ATech headphones, the reviewer is going to say....."Bright" in the review, at some point.

You don't understand my analogy do you... I was implying the w5000 is bright just as the q701 is bass heavy... You cannot try to single me out as a minority if you use sources like cnet, haven't heard them, and ignore the huge treble dips in the measurements (which I hear). The w5000 is probably going to be bright for the same people who think the hd600 is bright, and there are quite a bit of people who think the hd600 is bright

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #148 of 263
So, how is this series in terms of isolation? Especially when compared to the wood versions and the V-Moda M-100?

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #150 of 263
Maybe because more of the attention is going to the open counterparts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back