Audio-Technica ART Monitor Series Refreshed: A2000Z, A1000Z, A900Z, A500Z
Sep 12, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #106 of 263
i just got the a2000z. while the resolution is very good, clarity and instrument separation awesome, sounstage very large, the bass is definitely lacking. these cans just don't play as low as the a1000z. bass is still a bit better than w5000 and so is the clarity and resolution. soundstage is similar. have a listen to them if you can, maybe you'll like them. i think i'm returning mine as the missing bass sucks and i won't be getting the a1000z either as i wanted something super high res - the a1000z is unfortunately not.

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #107 of 263
i just got the a2000z. while the resolution is very good, clarity and instrument separation awesome, sounstage very large, the bass is definitely lacking. these cans just don't play as low as the a1000z. bass is still a bit better than w5000 and so is the clarity and resolution. soundstage is similar. have a listen to them if you can, maybe you'll like them. i think i'm returning mine as the missing bass sucks and i won't be getting the a1000z either as i wanted something super high res - the a1000z is unfortunately not.

The w5000 does not lack bass at all for me, in some areas it even has more bass than my q701s. I remember one time when I was listening to my w5000s, I immediately noticed a change in bass that I did not like (increased bass), but then I realized that I finally had a good seal which made them sound more balanced after some brain burn in. The a2000z has a 53mm driver that looks identical to the w5000 so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a minor tweak of it.

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #108 of 263
Quote:
The w5000 does not lack bass at all for me, in some areas it even has more bass than my q701s. I remember one time when I was listening to my w5000s, I immediately noticed a change in bass that I did not like (increased bass), but then I realized that I finally had a good seal which made them sound more balanced after some brain burn in. The a2000z has a 53mm driver that looks identical to the w5000 so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a minor tweak of it.

if you liked the bass of w5000 you might really like the a2000z thou. technically the driver size is identical to a1000z also, yet they sound very differently. differently tuned?

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #109 of 263
Quote:
if you liked the bass of w5000 you might really like the a2000z thou. technically the driver size is identical to a1000z also, yet they sound very differently. differently tuned?

I am afraid they sound too similar with little upgrades to actually buy them, especially with the price of diminishing returns. If I ever get to try them then I definitely will, but I would rather buy a headphone with a different sound as I have yet to find the perfect headphones

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #110 of 263
I am afraid they sound too similar with little upgrades to actually buy them, especially with the price of diminishing returns. If I ever get to try them then I definitely will, but I would rather buy a headphone with a different sound as I have yet to find the perfect headphones

what are you actually missing with the w5000 if you like the bass?

to date i haven't heard higher resolution headphones than a2000z. it definitely pushed the bar pretty high. now give them the bass from a1000z - that would make perfect headphones for me. :)

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #111 of 263
what are you actually missing with the w5000 if you like the bass?

to date i haven't heard higher resolution headphones than a2000z. it definitely pushed the bar pretty high. now give them the bass from a1000z - that would make perfect headphones for me. :)

My biggest gripe on these are the resonance/reverb effect I hear in vocals, no one has ever said this about the w5000 but I immediately noticed it and it took a long time to adjust. I hear this effect can happen in headphones with a closed design.
Also, it does not isolate very well and it leaks a bit of sound, at this point I would wish it was an open back for the wider soundstage, mind you I came from the q701. (w5000+big soundstage+no reverb in vocals=my perfect sound)

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #112 of 263
My biggest gripe on these are the resonance/reverb effect I hear in vocals, no one has ever said this about the w5000 but I immediately noticed it and it took a long time to adjust. I hear this effect can happen in headphones with a closed design.
Also, it does not isolate very well and it leaks a bit of sound, at this point I would wish it was an open back for the wider soundstage, mind you I came from the q701. (w5000+big soundstage+no reverb in vocals=my perfect sound)

Hmm, sounds like you might actually like the a2000z - check them out before buying though. The a1000z had a slight reverb in vocals - I know what you mean. In a2000z I didn't hear it. There was definitely a bigger soundstage in a2000z than in w5000.

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #113 of 263

Hmm, sounds like you might actually like the a2000z - check them out before buying though. The a1000z had a slight reverb in vocals - I know what you mean. In a2000z I didn't hear it. There was definitely a bigger soundstage in a2000z than in w5000.

I will definitely keep the a2000z in my watchlist, but I honestly prefer the wooden back of the w5000 or the red cup of the a1000z. Not the highest priority at the moment since I just purchased the w5000 but I appreciate your insight of the two

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #114 of 263
I picked up the ATH-A900Z recently on my trip to Japan as I wanted another comfy pair of headphone for the office and my head seems to be compatible with Audio Technica's wing system.  Unfortunately, I haven't been listening much with these yet because the stock pads was too shallow and the inner circumference of the pads was too small for my giant ears.  BUT, today, I finally found some pads that will fit my giant ears without leaking the sound all over the place, and that is the Hifiman leather pads.  These barely fit on as the lip is just barely enough to fit on the thick part of the angled cup, but after some effort, I got it on there and these now look and feel great :)  I'll have to listen to them for a few days first before I can really give any impression.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #115 of 263
A comparison to M50x and K553 would rock.

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #116 of 263
Compared to the 2000x, the 2000z is a tad refined, more concentrated tuning and slightly less congestion.
Improvements to bass is noticeable but subtle; slightly more control, forwardness while retaining its politeness.

Their analytical capabilities are around the same, with a2000z having better clarity and refinement across the spectrum.
Both offer bright and neutral presentation with no signs of sibilance. 
Soundstage-wise I feel 2000Z offer more depth but lesser width than the 2000X.

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #117 of 263
Thanks for your input.  Does A2kZ have the same "hot" treble as A2kX?
I don't suppose you could try A2kZ pads on A2kX and see how A2kX is affected?

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #118 of 263
  Thanks for your input.  Does A2kZ have the same "hot" treble as A2kX?
I don't suppose you could try A2kZ pads on A2kX and see how A2kX is affected?

I couldn't remove the earpads cause I demoed the 2000z in store.
The minor improvements didn't hype me enough to purchase the Z though.

I'm actually quite tolerant to the "hot" treble of 2000x.
Compared to Z, hot treble is definitely tamed while sounding less tinnier than the X.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #120 of 263

I couldn't remove the earpads cause I demoed the 2000z in store.
The minor improvements didn't hype me enough to purchase the Z though.

I'm actually quite tolerant to the "hot" treble of 2000x.
Compared to Z, hot treble is definitely tamed while sounding less tinnier than the X.

I asked because I was wondering if A2kZ's apparent improvements are just from the pads.

On a related note, A2kX's "hot" treble is actually from the magnesium alloy cups that hold the drivers in place inside of the titanium cups "singing along" with the drivers, haha.  That is, those magnesium cups are resonating too much.  purrin demonstrated dampening W1000X's magnesium cups with fiberglass to stop the resonances, I did the same to my A2kX but with Dynamat Xtreme instead and got less treble "heat" and an overall tighter sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back