AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #3,331 of 3,694
I am having problem with RedNet D16 AES. After the computer has been up over 24 to 48 hours the RedNet Control 2 and Dante Controller software lost connection. RedNet Control 2 says "Not present on the network" and Dante Controller is unable to show any info. Still music plays fine after this, but I can't change sample rate or monitor latency etc. After rebooting D16 AES from power button the device works normally. There were few people complaining same thing before, so I know I am not totally alone.
I have contacted Focusrite customer service about this already a year ago. They have been very helpful to investigating this problem, but no luck. They have not been able to reproduce the problem, so there are no fix for this.
Focusrite customer service has posted about this in this thread to contact them, but there has not been anyone else. So if anyone has this problem, please contact customer service.

This problem is driving me crazy. Sound quality is still great!

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #3,332 of 3,694
I had this exact same issue for a while but then it stopped. I am pretty sure I contacted Tech Support at the time.

To be honest I was never sure what actually fixed it but I think that I uninstalled Rednet Control and installed the newest version which also included a firmware update. Are you at the latest version of RC?

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #3,333 of 3,694
I had this exact same issue for a while but then it stopped. I am pretty sure I contacted Tech Support at the time.

To be honest I was never sure what actually fixed it but I think that I uninstalled Rednet Control and installed the newest version which also included a firmware update. Are you at the latest version of RC?
Yeah, that is what they told me. Using the latest 2.1.0 with device firmware upgraded. I have tried to reinstall the software and with three different computers.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #3,334 of 3,694
So the system works fine, for a while, then 'hiccups' and the ethernet data link goes down until a re-boot?
And there is no other 'quirky' behavior from any of the host computers?

What is the latency set at?
And what does the recording of the actual latency look like?
Have you cleaned the ethernet cable's connections, and or swapped it out with another cable?
Are you using a cat 7 cable?
Have you tried re-routing the cable?

That should be enough for a starter.

JJ

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #3,335 of 3,694
So the system works fine, for a while, then 'hiccups' and the ethernet data link goes down until a re-boot?
And there is no other 'quirky' behavior from any of the host computers?

What is the latency set at?
And what does the recording of the actual latency look like?
Have you cleaned the ethernet cable's connections, and or swapped it out with another cable?
Are you using a cat 7 cable?
Have you tried re-routing the cable?

That should be enough for a starter.

JJ
System works fine. There are no hiccups or anything like that. Music plays fine even after when the "Not present on the network" error occurs. On previous computer there was high DPC latency problem every now and then - music stuttered for a while. My current desktop computer and laptop is just fine.

Latency is set at 6ms, Buffer Size 128 samples, Encoding 24 bits and Asio Latency 10ms. No late packets.

Previously used some old Cat5e but now I have been using individually tested Belkin CAT6A 7.6m. No difference there. I don't think that Cat7 would help. Shielding would just add possibility to ground loop.

I doubt that there is nothing wrong with my setup - just some bug in software.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #3,337 of 3,694
Network Adapter Settings
In particular - DISABLE INTERRUPT MODERATION in Control Panel/Device Manager/Network Adapter/Advanced
Flow Control off too if tolerated
Yep, I have tried these before. Maybe latency is more constant. Forgot to set these on new Intel NIC so thank you for reminder.

I have not heard difference in sound but I think that Belkin CAT6A cable is great. It is cheap and they give similar cable test report as Blue Jeans Cable. Great alternative for europeans since that BJC cable is not available here.

Some warning about fake Intel NICs too! I bought two counterfeit Intel i350-t2v2 from Amazon. They were missing YottaMark stickers and some chips were different. Third time I bought the real deal at local shop.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #3,339 of 3,694
System works fine. There are no hiccups or anything like that. Music plays fine even after when the "Not present on the network" error occurs. On previous computer there was high DPC latency problem every now and then - music stuttered for a while. My current desktop computer and laptop is just fine.

Latency is set at 6ms, Buffer Size 128 samples, Encoding 24 bits and Asio Latency 10ms. No late packets.

Previously used some old Cat5e but now I have been using individually tested Belkin CAT6A 7.6m. No difference there. I don't think that Cat7 would help. Shielding would just add possibility to ground loop.

In my case the music never stopped playing. JRMC worked as usual. I could start and stop music but in RC the D16 just stopped showing. Seemed like a bug in RC. In my case it started working again and has been fine ever since.

Regarding cables, I have tried several brands and also fiber with FMC's and also an internal PCIe fiber card but the red cable that came with my D16 sounds as good as anything. Took the fiber out and got a SQ improvement. I thought that the fiber would improve isolation but it seems to have a downside that more than offsets that. Jitter perhaps?

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #3,340 of 3,694

Thanks for the update.
So it's only the appearance of the dante box that drops… hmmmmm

I only mentioned the cat 7 cable because it can in some instances create a ground loop, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Your latency is fine but it would seem it's just a bit high, but then I don't know the setup well enough to know either way, and your system's latency shouldn't make any difference. Unless there were late or many packets that were 'delayed', which isn't the case.

Is there a router in the path from the pc to the dante box?
Is the dante network on its own hardware layer network, or is it shared on the same hardware that is used for internet traffic?

JJ

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #3,341 of 3,694
Thanks for the update.
So it's only the appearance of the dante box that drops… hmmmmm

I only mentioned the cat 7 cable because it can in some instances create a ground loop, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Your latency is fine but it would seem it's just a bit high, but then I don't know the setup well enough to know either way, and your system's latency shouldn't make any difference. Unless there were late or many packets that were 'delayed', which isn't the case.

Is there a router in the path from the pc to the dante box?
Is the dante network on its own hardware layer network, or is it shared on the same hardware that is used for internet traffic?

JJ
Latency could be better indeed - 4ms is not stable enough and creates sometimes late packets. I have not heard difference in sound quality. Noticed that there is some problem with video lip sync if latency is set too low. Of course I could set some delay in media player..

Direct connection from PC. Using that two port Intel i350-T2V2 with one port on Internet and second on D16 AES.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #3,342 of 3,694
Say there.
In my setup (I too have dual ethernet ports with one dedicated to the Dante network) my latency is under 1ms (997µs).
Have you swapped the ports (yeah, a PIA for sure) just to see what happens?
And have you re-routed your ethernet cables so it is away from any other cables/gear etc?

Another thought was to yank your NIC out, clean both the edge connector and it's mating connector slot on the M/B, just to make sure no dust bunnies or any foreign material is crammed in there.
And the same goes for the RJ-45 ports, make sure it's not got cruddlies buried deep in the recesses.

The thing is, if there are no dropouts in the music, something is mess'n with the commands strings (where the info about the availability of the dante box gets communicated) vs the bits that comprise the musical data.
And since there is no router/switch/hub in the way they (especially a router that is mis configured) are out of the picture, so something is treating these 2 data protocols differently.

This is the source of your conundrum. And I would suspect that on those occasions where the data stream 'stutters' (you may not even notice) and has to be resent, it's only the streaming musical data that gets re-sent, and not the command strings.
And even though nothing shows up on the latency meter, except it's not as low as it should be, which could be masking the resent data.
Which in turn would make the dante box disappear, but the music just keeps on play'n.

At least that is a possible scenario that fits the behavior, and actually may have a shred of truth to it.

So do a thorough inspection and clean up of ALL the connections from connector to cable and back.
Sometimes it those pesky details which can be all to easily overlooked that'll getcha.
Or not! hahahahahahahaha

JJ
ps remote diagnosis is always hit or miss but this might just help.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #3,343 of 3,694
Hehe.. Yeah, I should check those dust bunnies.
Noticed that @joelha had similar problem too, is it working now?

About latency problems with Windows 10. Seems to be that problem is with in memory handling. Luckily there is VB-Audio! Team got their hands dirty and really tried to get something about it. Maybe next build is fixing the problems.They make really useful software for RedNet users anyway since we really can't use WASAPI or DirectSound without ASIO Bridge software.

You can also download new Stress Test Program to detect Memory Management stuff..

https://www.facebook.com/notes/vb-a...dio/1646244165445117/?qid=6523440172603318415

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #3,344 of 3,694
Hehe.. Yeah, I should check those dust bunnies.
Noticed that @joelha had similar problem too, is it working now?

About latency problems with Windows 10. Seems to be that problem is with in memory handling. Luckily there is VB-Audio! Team got their hands dirty and really tried to get something about it. Maybe next build is fixing the problems.They make really useful software for RedNet users anyway since we really can't use WASAPI or DirectSound without ASIO Bridge software.

You can also download new Stress Test Program to detect Memory Management stuff..

https://www.facebook.com/notes/vb-a...dio/1646244165445117/?qid=6523440172603318415

If your latency is only 4ms, there's something else going on here you ain't explaining. Nothing posted about your PC (or the rest of your system). Are you just hoping someone else had this issue and 'this' is what I did to resolve it? You may very well have to start from scratch, and reformat your hard drive and re-install windows as a fresh starting point.

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #3,345 of 3,694
If your latency is only 4ms, there's something else going on here you ain't explaining. Nothing posted about your PC (or the rest of your system). Are you just hoping someone else had this issue and 'this' is what I did to resolve it? You may very well have to start from scratch, and reformat your hard drive and re-install windows as a fresh starting point.

Latency is not an issue. Just something "fun" to play and tweak. It was a problem with older configuration, after that I bought a new computer. As I said, this is my third PC configuration with the same error and it only occurs after 24 hours uptime - everytime and always on every configuration. I have re-formated and re-installed windows from scratch few times and I am not doing it again. Also tried different network interfaces, network cables, power cables and DACs.

Jriver 23.0.102 32bit, Foobar2000 v1.3.9, VB-Audio ASIO Bridge 1.0.0.7

EAR Acute III, Densen FabelDAC (Tellurium Q Black Digital)
Densen B-175
ATC SCM50

My PC:
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5
Intel Core i7-7700k
16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600 CL16-16-16-36
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe 500GB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 AORUS Xtreme
Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium Fanless
Intel I350-T2V2
Windows 10 build 1079

Previous PC:
Asus P8P67 EVO
Intel i5-2500k
ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix 4GB DirectCU II
16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3
Crucial MX100 512GB
Seasonic X-660
Dual integrated Intel NIC
Windows 10

Laptop:
Lenovo X230
16GB
160GB
Intel NIC
Windows 10

I am hoping to that the people with the same problem to would make contact with Focusrite tech support. The same people who has written in this same thread.

This is what Focusrite tech support told me:
"We've run countless tests here and we've never been able to reproduce the issue that you seem to be experiencing. As you've noted, one or two other people have mentioned it in forums - my colleague joined the forum you mentioned and requested that anyone having this issue should contact us directly but I'm not aware that we've heard from anyone else."

I know this "Not present on the network" is not problem with everyone since many people won't keep computer up all night and day or need to change sample rate that often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back