AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 11, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #1,021 of 3,694
Edit: lost my 150usec on the D16 after clearing the config and can't seem to restore it.

I have always had 150usec greyed out on my D16. I wonder what circumstances allow it to show? Perhaps it tests the link and determines what is possible?

Jul 11, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #1,022 of 3,694
I have always had 150usec greyed out on my D16. I wonder what circumstances allow it to show? Perhaps it tests the link and determines what is possible?

I wondered the same thing.

As the Dante documentation says 150 usec option is only possible for chains with "one switch" and they count every NIC and switch as "one switch". So a chain of PC-->switch-->D16 counts for 3 switches and should not be able to get the 150 usec latency option.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,023 of 3,694
Put in a call to Focusrite and it seems that 150usec isn't documented as a selectable latency option for the D16. At first, his response was it should be available in redundant mode. Then we went through it and he was surprised to see that it wasn't available under that scenario. Further digging into it, he was able to uncover that it wasn't supported. He was very curious and interested in a screen shot if I'm able to restore the setting. I did ask if there's any negative impact on SQ being limited to 250usec latency. His response was no, it merely defines the window to receive packets over the network. He stressed that audio is not affected by this setting. If packets are dropped, this would manifest as sound cutting out and that quality is consistent across all latency settings.

I tried listening with 250usec and 5ms - not perceiving any degradation between the two in brief testing. I'm not going to obsess over it any longer and leave it be. I'm writing off my 150usec latency D16 experience as a fluke haha. Sorry fellas.

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,024 of 3,694
Hi,

new version of Dante controller and DVS (soundcard) available... 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,025 of 3,694
Hi,

new version of Dante controller and DVS (soundcard) available... :tongue_smile:

The versions of July 6th?
I already had them installed last Saturday, hadn't noticed they were new.
For me personally the "Unicast delay requests" might be the most interesting new feature?

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #1,027 of 3,694
Yes, already one week old, but I only noticed it since yesterday...

What is "Unicast delay requests" usefull for....???

Audinate describes it as follows:
Unicast delay requests: Enabling 'Unicast Delay Requests' forces clock slave devices to send delay requests to the clock master using unicast instead, which reduces multicast traffic.

Since I have my D16 connected over a switch, I want to keep multicast traffic as low as possible in my LAN, which is used for all file serving, streaming and internet traffic.

The function allows a slave device to signal the clock master to slow down the traffic. Apparently 'things' can go to fast for slaved devices.
This new option allows it to do it via unicast traffic instead of the previous multicast traffic.

Not so relevant if using a direct connection, I would guess.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #1,029 of 3,694
Joined this group. Will be comparing it against the microrendu in the Chord Dave dac, whose best input is USB. Will be interesting to see if the RN3 can win.

Has anyone upgraded the power supply on these?

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,030 of 3,694
Joined this group. Will be comparing it against the microrendu in the Chord Dave dac, whose best input is USB. Will be interesting to see if the RN3 can win.

Has anyone upgraded the power supply on these?

I am using a D16>Mutec MC-3+USB>Yggy with AES connections and greatly prefer the Rednet to the uRendu. One of the advantages of the D16 in my system is that tweaking (cables, power supplies) has very little sq impact. On the flip side I found that with USB almost everything in the chain had a sq impact.  I'll likely still try out different items in the future (like upcoming Mutec Reference Clock) but it's refreshing not having to sweat the smaller stuff. Not sure if my experience is typical but this is my current assessment 3 weeks in.

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,031 of 3,694
I am using a D16>Mutec MC-3+USB>Yggy with AES connections and greatly prefer the Rednet to the uRendu. One of the advantages of the D16 in my system is that tweaking (cables, power supplies) has very little sq impact. On the flip side I found that with USB almost everything in the chain had a sq impact.  I'll likely still try out different items in the future (like upcoming Mutec Reference Clock) but it's refreshing not having to sweat the smaller stuff. Not sure if my experience is typical but this is my current assessment 3 weeks in.

I wonder if it may be DAC specific. I have tried the Dave with an Aurender n100h (via AES) > Mutec 3+ USB > AES to Dave and it sounded clearly worse than just microrendu > USB to Dave.

As I said, Dave's USB input is the superior one among all its inputs- which is not the case with the Yggy, another dac I happen to own as well.

But good to know I don't have to sweat the power upgrades on the RN3.

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #1,032 of 3,694
I wonder if it may be DAC specific. I have tried the Dave with an Aurender n100h (via AES) > Mutec 3+ USB > AES to Dave and it sounded clearly worse than just microrendu > USB to Dave.

As I said, Dave's USB input is the superior one among all its inputs- which is not the case with the Yggy, another dac I happen to own as well.

But good to know I don't have to sweat the power upgrades on the RN3.

I don't think we have had anyone with a Dave DAC on the thread so it will be interesting to hear your impressions. I agree that the Yggy's USB implementation is not a strength. Many Yggy owners have gone the Mutec/RedNet route.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #1,033 of 3,694
FINALLY got the RN3 up and running. Part of the problem is my soekris dac won't lock on to the rednet, not sure why, so I've been troubleshooting two components at once. In the meantime I got the $25 FiiO dac hooked up instead, and the rednet does indeed sound impressive - even with this cheap @ss dac...

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #1,034 of 3,694
I just got uRendu yesterday and it is clearly the best USB source I've used with 2Qute. The two have excellent synergy and holds its own against the Rednet chain into BNC. I can echo that USB is 2Qute's best input. I need more time to flesh out what I'm hearing.

Grouping roon zones is a slick way to send the signal to both chains and enables quick A/B comparison.

Optical isolation added to the RN chain today improved the sonic image significantly. Best example so far is that I could better "see" guitar strings being plucked with my mind's eye. I felt vibrationally connected to the guitar player.

Mutec 3+ USB should be showing up soon!

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #1,035 of 3,694
I just got uRendu yesterday and it is clearly the best USB source I've used with 2Qute. The two have excellent synergy and holds its own against the Rednet chain into BNC. I can echo that USB is 2Qute's best input. I need more time to flesh out what I'm hearing.

Grouping roon zones is a slick way to send the signal to both chains and enables quick A/B comparison.

Optical isolation added to the RN chain today improved the sonic image significantly. Best example so far is that I could better "see" guitar strings being plucked with my mind's eye. I felt vibrationally connected to the guitar player.

Mutec 3+ USB should be showing up soon!

I hadn't thought of that. I will try it. I was going to use Roon->HQPlayer as the output but indeed Roon direct makes for easier AB comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back