AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 9, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #991 of 3,694
So are you saying that even after I update the firmware that the router has to be permanently connected to the Dante?

Danté is the dedicated ethernet s/w that controls and passes the digital audio data streams over ethernet.
The RedNet box HAS to be directly wired via cat 5e-6a cable in order to receive the data stream(s) and function.

So yes, it has to be directly wired to the source (player, computer, streamer, etc.) in order for the Danté s/w to function and control the RedNet box.

There is no wireless functionality with the Danté s/w.

JJ

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #992 of 3,694
Danté is the dedicated ethernet s/w that controls and passes the digital audio data streams over ethernet.
The RedNet box HAS to be directly wired via cat 5e-6a cable in order to receive the data stream(s) and function.

So yes, it has to be directly wired to the source (player, computer, streamer, etc.) in order for the Danté s/w to function and control the RedNet box.

There is no wireless functionality with the Danté s/w.

JJ

Sorry what I mean is does my ethernet with only one port need to also be connected permanently to the internet router in order for the Dante to work I understand that the Dante needs to be connected permanently to the rednet 3.

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #993 of 3,694
Sorry what I mean is does my ethernet with only one port need to also be connected permanently to the internet router in order for the Dante to work I understand that the Dante needs to be connected permanently to the rednet 3.

If I understand correctly, no.
My setup consists of 1 ethernet port that is connected to my internet modem and router and the rest of the computer network, while my 2nd ethernet port is used exclusively for the Danté network.
There is no inter-connectivity between them.

And there is a way of manually performing that 2nd firmware upgrade without having to directly connect the Danté network to the internet.

I'd suggest you contact Focusrite directly as they can walk you thru the process or they can remote in and complete the upgrade for you.

JJ

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #994 of 3,694
If I understand correctly, no.
My setup consists of 1 ethernet port that is connected to my internet modem and router and the rest of the computer network, while my 2nd ethernet port is used exclusively for the Danté network.
There is no inter-connectivity between them.

And there is a way of manually performing that 2nd firmware upgrade without having to directly connect the Danté network to the internet.

I'd suggest you contact Focusrite directly as they can walk you thru the process or they can remote in and complete the upgrade for you.

JJ

Okay then I will just wait for the hundred foot Ethernet cable so that I can upgrade the firmware and then when that's done with I can remove it and go back to my wireless as usual and just have the direct connection to the rednet 3 unit.

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #995 of 3,694

The actual Dante connection has to run over a wired connection but can pass through switches etc. if they meet the right standards. I think that it needs to get an IP from a DHCP source so that would mean a LAN connection.

You could get a wireless USB dongle and use that for your LAN connection and let Dante use your wired ethernet port. You could also get a two port ethernet card and use one port for Dante and the other for your wired LAN connection. The nice thing about the Wi-fi dongle is that you could remove it when you did not need LAN/Internet access. As an aside I remember posts on CA where folks thought that it was best to not have wifi too near to audio equipment for reasons of RF interference.

My audio PC just has one ethernet port but my D16 has two. I run one cable to my first D16 port and the second port goes to my LAN. So Dante must be capable of sharing bandwidth with other ethernet traffic since my PC can get to my LAN and the Internet with this setup.

Let us know how it goes once your firmware is updated.

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #996 of 3,694
The actual Dante connection has to run over a wired connection but can pass through switches etc. if they meet the right standards. I think that it needs to get an IP from a DHCP source so that would mean a LAN connection.

You could get a wireless USB dongle and use that for your LAN connection and let Dante use your wired ethernet port.

I already use a wireless dongle so that's covered. I think I may not be asking my questions clearly so I'll just wait for the cat cable for the next step. Gotta say the Rednet manuals aren't super helpful in this regard.

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #998 of 3,694
Is see no reason that the Rednet firmware update can not be run over a wireless ROUTER.
The firmware file either downloads or it does not. The PC running the firmware updater should have a CAT-connection to the RedNet, but that you already have in place.

The ''donot-use-wifi" area is with regard to the connection between PC and Rednet when doing playback.

The issue is, how do you get hold of the firmware file, when the Rednet Controller doesn't see your RN3?
I have found an offline Firmware Updater from Dante, but see no way to get hold of the actual firmware files outside of the Rednet Controller.

Best to give Focusrite a call about the firmware update files.

I see no reason to get a 100ft CAT cable just to connect to your router.

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #999 of 3,694
Yes the 'helpful' step by step instructions don't really exist.

But after you become familiar with the way 3 different functions that need to be implemented and the proper sequence etc.,
it makes a certain amount of sense.

But it is a rather 'steep' learning curve at first.

I'd still suggest that you contact them by phone, it was very helpful when my RN-3 wouldn't complete the 2nd firmware update…
I figure this s/w bug and a few other upgrades are included with the next update due out 'soon'.

JJ

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #1,000 of 3,694
  Is see no reason that the Rednet firmware update can not be run over a wireless ROUTER.
The firmware file either downloads or it does not. The PC running the firmware updater should have a CAT-connection to the RedNet, but that you already have in place.

The ''donot-use-wifi" area is with regard to the connection between PC and Rednet when doing playback.

The issue is, how do you get hold of the firmware file, when the Rednet Controller doesn't see your RN3?
I have found an offline Firmware Updater from Dante, but see no way to get hold of the actual firmware files outside of the Rednet Controller.

Best to give Focusrite a call about the firmware update files.

I see no reason to get a 100ft CAT cable just to connect to your router.

There is also the Danté controller s/w as well.
This was how the help desk guy 'fixed' my firmware issue.

JJ

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #1,001 of 3,694
 There is also the Danté controller s/w as well.
This was how the help desk guy 'fixed' my firmware issue.

JJ

Hmm, I could not find an "Upgrade Firmware" option in Dante Controller, but only in RedNet Controller and this offline "Dante Firmware Update Manager".
Nice to know of this feature. But the Dante Controller from WUSHULIU does see the RN3, so he should be able to run a firmware updater then?!
Would be nice if they put all the information in the User Guide though :wink:

But I recommend WUSHULIU to call Focusrite on Monday, they are very supportive when I contacted them pre-purchase with all kinds of technicallities.

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #1,002 of 3,694
You need to make it simple and update the focusrite plugged directly to your pc rather than over a switch and such. Dante software installed, Dante virtual driver installed, and rednet control software installed.

To update, I needed to turn on my Dante virtual driver to finish/complete the update otherwise it hung up at every update. And once a fail or hang up happened it helped to reboot the pc along with a power down of the rednet. (I'm sure on the pc reboot but have a rednet power cycle wasn't necessary).

Fwiw it took me several hours to figure it out and help via text from another user - and I'm around PCs for a living.

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #1,003 of 3,694
You need to make it simple and update the focusrite plugged directly to your pc rather than over a switch and such. Dante software installed, Dante virtual driver installed, and rednet control software installed.

To update, I needed to turn on my Dante virtual driver to finish/complete the update otherwise it hung up at every update. And once a fail or hang up happened it helped to reboot the pc along with a power down of the rednet. (I'm sure on the pc reboot but have a rednet power cycle wasn't necessary).

Fwiw it took me several hours to figure it out and help via text from another user - and I'm around PCs for a living.

IIUC he has done all that, but the RN3 doesn't show up in his Rednet Control (only his VSC is shown), so he hasn't access to the "Update Firmware"-option for the RN3  in the Rednet Control software.
I did not have such an issue using my D16 which did show immediately in the Rednet Control, but apparently it is different with the RN3.

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #1,004 of 3,694

+1

I have supported a large network for a couple of decades and still found this to be tricky. The payoff in SQ is very worth it however. I hope that eventually either Focusrite or another enterprising vendor will make a simplified system with the same SQ but specifically targeted for home users.

Right now I am trying to get two D16 based audio systems to run from one PC with DVS across my LAN and boy has it been frustrating. I will try to write up this adventure once I can claim success. It is more or less working but not quite as I had envisioned it. I also want to make sure that I have not traded off any SQ in the process of gaining simplicity and convenience.

As others have mentioned Sweetwater, Focusrite(Rednet), and Audinate(Dante) have all been great to work with but I might add that we are now asking them for help setting up something that is a bit out of their usual box...

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #1,005 of 3,694
+1

I have supported a large network for a couple of decades and still found this to be tricky. The payoff in SQ is very worth it however. I hope that eventually either Focusrite or another enterprising vendor will make a simplified system with the same SQ but specifically targeted for home users.

Right now I am trying to get two D16 based audio systems to run from one PC with DVS across my LAN and boy has it been frustrating. I will try to write up this adventure once I can claim success. It is more or less working but not quite as I had envisioned it. I also want to make sure that I have not traded off any SQ in the process of gaining simplicity and convenience.

As others have mentioned Sweetwater, Focusrite(Rednet), and Audinate(Dante) have all been great to work with but I might add that we are now asking them for help setting up something that is a bit out of their usual box...

Hi mourip

I'm very much interested in your experiences and esp. where you think you might be sacrificing sound quality with this solution.

I also work in IT albeit in consultancy and design of large scale financial applications.
At home I run my LAN over 3 Cisco managed switches and find the instructions by Audinate up till now quite clear and with some knowledge about how their concepts works, still manageable at home.

I'm very interested in your experiences with multiple devices, as I can see this AOIP developing further in my home as well, to multiple devices in different rooms/floors.

See please, do make your write-up.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back