AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 13, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #1,036 of 3,694
I just got uRendu yesterday and it is clearly the best USB source I've used with 2Qute. The two have excellent synergy and holds its own against the Rednet chain into BNC. I can echo that USB is 2Qute's best input. I need more time to flesh out what I'm hearing.

Grouping roon zones is a slick way to send the signal to both chains and enables quick A/B comparison.

Optical isolation added to the RN chain today improved the sonic image significantly. Best example so far is that I could better "see" guitar strings being plucked with my mind's eye. I felt vibrationally connected to the guitar player.

Mutec 3+ USB should be showing up soon!

When you mention optical isolation, I'm assuming you're talking about running optical cable between ethernet ports, is that right?

If so, I've done the same and I have to say, I couldn't detect a difference.

If not, I'd be curious to know what optical option you're referring to.

Thanks,

Joel

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #1,037 of 3,694
Yes, optical isolation referring to the use of FMC between Ethernet. I will conduct further listening tests to verify what I'm hearing. It was pretty simple to notice with my system. The BNC input is how I'm feeding RedNet to 2Qute. It doesn't matter what BNC source I've tried in the past, USB has been it's best input. For the first time, sound through the BNC port with RedNet is better. Introducing the FMC took it up another notch. As I spend time with the system and become more familiar with the sound, I'll bypass certain links in the chain and observe the results.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #1,040 of 3,694
What's suprising about the Rednet 3 so far is that you'd think it would highlight the limitations and flaws of a $25 dac. But it does the opposite, it elevates the performance so in some ways, sure, you know you're listening to a cheaper dac - but the RN3 pulls out so many layers in a benign way that I was still totally sucked into the music. It was hard to remain objective and analytical. I loved what I was hearing and just didn't care. Crazy. Like an extreme audio makeover.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #1,041 of 3,694
My take with the RedNet D16 and Yggy is that the Dante AOIP implementation allows the Yggy to achieve more of its full potential while USB is just  clearly sub optimal. Key question  is whether this is DAC specific or if this has wider computer audio implications. From all I have read there is no "secret sauce'' from Audinate or RedNet that they are claiming that is specifically causing the sq improvement I am experiencing.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #1,042 of 3,694
My take with the RedNet D16 and Yggy is that the Dante AOIP implementation allows the Yggy to achieve more of its full potential while USB is just  clearly sub optimal. Key question  is whether this is DAC specific or if this has wider computer audio implications. From all I have read there is no "secret sauce'' from Audinate or RedNet that they are claiming that is specifically causing the sq improvement I am experiencing.

which is why I am curious to hear a comparison with the am2 to get a.sense of how much the ethernet contributes vs. the hardware.

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #1,044 of 3,694
which is why I am curious to hear a comparison with the am2 to get a.sense of how much the ethernet contributes vs. the hardware.

Yes, I am very interested in this as well. Also curious about comparisons between Ravenna &  Dante AOIP implementations. Not many people have both but I believe the one or two posters on Pro Audio forums that I remember reading about seem to prefer Dante (admittedly very small sample size)  Is this due to hardware or something else?

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #1,045 of 3,694
Yes, I am very interested in this as well. Also curious about comparisons between Ravenna &  Dante AOIP implementations. Not many people have both but I believe the one or two posters on Pro Audio forums that I remember reading about seem to prefer Dante (admittedly very small sample size)  Is this due to hardware or something else?

In theory there should not be any SQ diffs. In practice the HW may make an audible diff, especially the clocks used for the eth2aes conversion. Also, at this stage the drivers for both are probably still in a beta state.

jabbr
my bad for the usec/msec confusion. It was even worse cause I used the linux and win pings to test my network and didnt realize that the win version only shows msecs.
Anyway, your latency looks good if it's usec. Should be possible to reach 2-300 usec in a small home network but might not be worth the effort

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #1,047 of 3,694
For those shy about spending big bucks on fuses, I recommend swapping the stock for an equivalent ceramic fuse. In the past I've found ceramic fuses to sound more 'natural' than the typical glass ones. YMMV.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #1,048 of 3,694
  So are there any remote/streaming options for the rednet? is it possible through foobar?

Has no relation to Rednet IMO.

Your PC with playback software is what should have the remote option. This is what plays the sound into the Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS). After that you don't have to do anything.

If you mean if you can configure the Rednet via Rednet / Dante Controller, I'd ask 'why would you'? It is a one time job!

If you mean to stream from a remote device to the PC that is running DVS, you can if you have a server program (on the PC receiving the stream) that is ASIO capable and can play into the DVS.
But you'd be adding complexity to something that could be very simple and I personally wouldn't consider it worthwhile.

Roon can play into ASIO, I believe MinimServer can too.
My guess is there are plenty of servers that would be able to play into ASIO.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #1,049 of 3,694
In theory there should not be any SQ diffs. In practice the HW may make an audible diff, especially the clocks used for the eth2aes conversion. Also, at this stage the drivers for both are probably still in a beta state.

Dante has left Beta state a long time ago. The protocol has been developed in 2006 I believe, and the Dante Virtual Soundcard is at least as old.

For Ravenna, it might be another thing though the Merging Horus and Hapi already exist for quite some time as well and they use the Ravenna protocol and are supported with drivers since the conception.

So I don't think driver development for the cards / protocols is in its infancy anymore.

Cheers

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #1,050 of 3,694
  Has no relation to Rednet IMO.

Your PC with playback software is what should have the remote option. This is what plays the sound into the Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS). After that you don't have to do anything.

If you mean if you can configure the Rednet via Rednet / Dante Controller, I'd ask 'why would you'? It is a one time job!

If you mean to stream from a remote device to the PC that is running DVS, you can if you have a server program (on the PC receiving the stream) that is ASIO capable and can play into the DVS.
But you'd be adding complexity to something that could be very simple and I personally wouldn't consider it worthwhile.

Roon can play into ASIO, I believe MinimServer can too.
My guess is there are plenty of servers that would be able to play into ASIO.

Pardon my vague post - yes, I was referring to the latter, ASIO/DVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back