AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jun 29, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #886 of 3,694
Chris over at CA reported an issue with wireless networking when using Revena based device. Did anyone had this issue with Rednet ? If so, how did you solve it ?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/focusrite-rednet-28878/index7.html#post557912

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #887 of 3,694
  Yeah I'll be experimenting with an 'Audio' grade fuse.

It's located on the power supply board inside the case.

It's a 2amp slow blow rated fuse.

I will also be adapting an Audio Sensibility AES 110Ω cable to the AES DB-25 breakout connector, along with some Mogami and Canare 110Ω wire to compare against.
It may not be a fair comparison, for several reasons…

JJ

Ah found it. Swapped it out easily enough and I think it made a difference. I don't feel like swapping them out to A/B.

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #888 of 3,694
In the past it seemed to take an hour or so before the full effect of an 'audio grade' fuse became evident.

Also if the SQ doesn't appreciably improve or change after that initial 1-2 hrs, you might consider reversing it in it's holder.

Sometimes there is a marked difference in SQ based upon 'directionality' of the fuse.

JJ

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #889 of 3,694
@johnjen The fuses I bought are supposed to be directional according to the writing orientation on the side. I'm assuming the flow of electricity is from where the power wires connect to the PCB to the right so that's how I installed it. I also just moved one of my Pangea AC9 power cables from a power amp to the RN3. I definitely think there's an increase in detail and a more black background.

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #890 of 3,694
I agree that with outfits like RedNet you are not just paying for product - you are also paying for support. I was having a problem finding my "token" to get free Audinate s/w. I called RedNet and within 15 minutes was talking to a real, live human. Pro Audio is a different beast. If equipment is not up and running people lose $$. Compare this to many consumer audio firms where the only life-line you have is via e-mail. I've heard horror stories over at CA where folks don't get support response for weeks.

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #891 of 3,694
Chris over at CA reported an issue with wireless networking when using Revena based device. Did anyone had this issue with Rednet ? If so, how did you solve it ?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/focusrite-rednet-28878/index7.html#post557912

Hi dibjitg

1. It is not an issue when you connect your computer directly to the Rednet
2. If you connect via a switch, It only happens when you have turned on Multicast on your Rednet devices (which includes also the DVS).
By default it is turned off, So, just leave it off.
3. If you feel you still need Multicasting, and really you don't, you can configure your switch to route Multicast packages to specific devices only, when you have a managed switch.

But really you should never have to come to option 3. in a home setting.

And Chris at CA either doesn't understand Multicasting, or his Ravenna device doesn't allow to switch it off.
Usually it is a lack of knowledge.

Cheers

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #892 of 3,694
I am honestly trying to convince myself that I don't need this Rednet 3. It sounds excellent, but I really wasn't expecting a full rack size device. I'm trying to make myself return or sell this thing and get back into AOIP after a more basic device exists.

If someone wants a discount on a day old unit, feel free to try to push me over the edge via PM. :wink: I'm still using the free trial of Dante so you'd still get the code.

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #894 of 3,694
It seems to me the post was to help find a quick buyer as an accelerant to his decision making... no ?

I would like to try this, but since I currently do not have a home wired network, and am not in the USA for support, and AES/SPDIF is not my DAC's best input, and I would like to try higher resolutions (maybe upsampled PCM or DSD)... I will also hang out a while and hope all the noise here generates some interest in the manufacturers..

Many thanks to all those posting, I hope we will see more DAC's with this or similar input shortly...

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #896 of 3,694
  I am honestly trying to convince myself that I don't need this Rednet 3. It sounds excellent, but I really wasn't expecting a full rack size device. I'm trying to make myself return or sell this thing and get back into AOIP after a more basic device exists.

If someone wants a discount on a day old unit, feel free to try to push me over the edge via PM. :wink: I'm still using the free trial of Dante so you'd still get the code.

The form factor is not great but the sound is magic. It could be a year before someone makes a solid audiophile two channel device that equals the RN3 or RN D16.

I would just return it rather than try to sell it because it looks like the warranty is not transferable so unless you really drop the price substantially it will not be a good deal for someone else. Also you can get refurbs with a full warranty from Sweetwater at a $100 to $150 discount depending on the model.

"In every case it will be necessary to provide a copy of the original invoice or store receipt to the distributor. In the event that you are unable to provide proof of purchase directly then you should contact the reseller from whom you purchased the product and attempt to obtain proof of purchase from them."

This probably means that only the original seller can get warranty work for the one year warranty. This seems to be most common among audio manufacturers. One exception is Pass Labs who will even repair for free after the warranty runs out because they get so few returns for defects.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #897 of 3,694
I would suggest for the simple users who are not tech savvy or don't have a computer savvy friend to help to maybe wait for the 2ch version (if that's even coming). This is the only down side along with the physical size.
Lord it has nothing to do with what wired network.....just an interface

I wouldn't hesitate buying from Luckbad, good prices and excellent to mint condition gear. Super fast shipping too.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #898 of 3,694

The form factor is not great but the sound is magic. It could be a year before someone makes a solid audiophile two channel device that equals the RN3 or RN D16.

That really is true. I listened to it on the Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 MKII going into an ampsandsound Mogwai for hours last night. I planned on going to sleep a couple hours early and ended up staying up really late.

I'm starting to go through my "holy **** I have too much audio gear I better keep my wife happy and my toddler en route to college one day" phase right now.

That means I'm downsizing both monetarily and physically in my audio gear investment.

My Sonic Frontiers DAC already sold before I got to listing it, so that gorgeous (buy large) puppy is on its way out the door tomorrow. I've even thought about selling my Mogwai, but I don't think that's going to happen.

If the Rednet gets returned or sold, it won't be because of the sound. I'm trying to figure out a good way to keep it tucked out of sight right now.

The main reason I was thinking of selling it instead of returning it is because I used a gift card at Sweetwater, so I'd just be getting that back (they had a "get 10% extra on your gift card for Father's Day" promo going).

But man... after making a couple adjustments to my ethernet settings, I had zero dropouts (as opposed to one the first day) and the sound is simply outstanding.

I'm looking into small desktop racks like this that might fit. The Rednet 3 is 2U in size, right?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/385003274/cedar-desktop-studio-rack-2-x-2u

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #899 of 3,694

Well you could get the smaller Atterotech Un-DAES and compare it to the RedNet. Cheaper too

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #900 of 3,694
  It sounds excellent, but I really wasn't expecting a full rack size device. I'm trying to make myself return or sell this thing and get back into AOIP after a more basic device exists.

If the Rednet gets returned or sold, it won't be because of the sound.

... the sound is simply outstanding.  
I'm looking into small desktop racks like this that might fit. The Rednet 3 is 2U in size, right?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/385003274/cedar-desktop-studio-rack-2-x-2u

I have the D16 AES which looks even less "domestic" than the R3.
I agree about the sound!
Mine's such a "keeper" that I fettled my own furniture for it.
Shabby chic buttercup doesn't look too shabby to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back