Audio noob in need of help
Nov 12, 2010 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Mentalchaos

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a nice pair of headphones in the $180.00 range for my zune hd. I've looked in to  akg I'm thinking of getting the K272 hd or the akg K271MKII. I found both for a good price on amazon, and overstock. 

I"m just not sure if they are the right fit for my taste of music, which consist of progressive rock, metal, and audio books.  

If anyone can point me in the right direction like mention a few other trusted brands. it would be very helpful. 

Thanks.

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 33
You didn't do anything wrong, I just don't have any experienced with either headphones.

K27X is usually not as popular around Headfi. Most people generally look at K240s when it comes to sub $100 phones, or go straight to K70X to around $250 used.

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 33

Quote:
Did I do something wrong to not get a reply?

No, you just have to be patient.  Eventually your post will be answered.  With members from every time zone, eventually someone will come to your aid.  Unfortunately, I haven't heard any AKG's so I can't help you.  Hang out a bit and do some research, remember, the search function is your friend.  Good luck in your search and happy listening.

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 33
You've mentioned mostly closed headphones and an in-ear phone. Are you interested in open or semi-open headphones?

Or, in other words, are you listening in an environment that you want to block out (eg, a subway), or are you concerned with whether other people will be hearing what you're listening to (eg, a library), or does none of that matter?

I haven't tried any of the items you mention, but being able to fill in a little more info will help other people provide suggestions and advice.

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 33

I'm looking for closed, or something in ear that can isolate the sound. I'm also looking for something that doesn't need a amp to get to the full power from them, when using on my zune hd.

Quote:
You've mentioned mostly closed headphones and an in-ear phone. Are you interested in open or semi-open headphones?

Or, in other words, are you listening in an environment that you want to block out (eg, a subway), or are you concerned with whether other people will be hearing what you're listening to (eg, a library), or does none of that matter?

I haven't tried any of the items you mention, but being able to fill in a little more info will help other people provide suggestions and advice.

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 33
Hd 555s are supposed to be good all rounders and can be found on amazon for around $80 leaving you with some extra cash for other options as well! Try looking at other threads using the search engine..I'm sure there are a lot of threads with the same question and similar preferences..Also try to be a little patient..the weekends coming up so plenty of people will have more time to post as well

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 33

Quote:
Will I need a amp with a m50 to get the most out of them with m zune?

They sound fine without an amp. An amp will make them a bit more forward and tighten the bass. Considering the M-50s are only about 110$ on amazon I don't think its worth it for an amp. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 33
I was reading some more post last night. One that caught my eye was about the right cans for prog rock.
The akg 701 and 702 were both mention as being really good for this type of music.
Funny thing is this is the pair that I want most. Last night I gave it some thought, and decided to save up for them.
Which brings up my next question like I mention before I'm using a zune hd,  from what I read I will need a amp to drive this can is the true.
If so what would be a good portable amp that will bring out the best of the akg 702 on a zune hd, and is easy on the wallet?

edit
I went on amazon to try and answer my own question and I found this the FiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifier.
is this worth getting? if so I think I might have found the amp I want its nice and small, and doesn't cost to much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back