Audio Grade Fuses
Feb 26, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #107 of 797
Quote:

Originally Posted by adriena /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep..Absolutely, the less connections the better. But at the risk of blowing up your equipment. It's for the 10/100 of the population that likes living constantly on the edge.

2 posts? have you tried it?

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #108 of 797
Thanks to all for these great fuse comments and experiences. I have recently ordered a few Furutech fuses for my amps (Spectron monoblocks...could use a little Furutech smoothness), one of my pre's (Wyred STP SE) and one (oops) for my Weiss DAC2. I say "oops" cuz the 500mA fuse arrived a couple days ago (the rest haven't) and lo and behold the damn DAC takes two (2) of them. It's one of those doors next to the IEC inlet. Has two stacked fuses, one neutral, one phase. So I replaced the top one (dunno which is which). Do you guys expect weird results with one leg Furutech rhodium (I have the other fuse on order now), and one leg a standard stock fuse? So far, after 24 hrs, upper mids and lower treble actually sound a little brittle...but no where near broken in.
Thx
Ted

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #109 of 797
The Furutech may be in backwards if it is sounding brittle.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #110 of 797
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks. I will go one variable at a time and let it break in another 48 hrs or so; then I'll reverse it. I'll report back...but again, I only have it on one leg of the AC so it may be moot until I get the other one installed and settled in. Thanks again,
Ted

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #111 of 797
Big Poppa,
That was it!! I reversed it after letting it settle in a bit more and voila, it's much clearer and more dynamic. It had sounded like I had all of a sudden gotten congested on complex passages, as if my 800 watt per channel Magtech amp was straining! Not any more.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks. Can't wait for the other fuse for the other leg of this ac.

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #112 of 797
What does it sound like now?

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #113 of 797
Quote:

Originally Posted by REVPOWER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fuse direction matters. The difference is usually discernable without trying to listen too hard.

When inserted the wrong way, the sound will usually be a bit flatter and softer. Imaging not as good. It can still sound OK, just not "right".

On fuses with directional arrows - you should still experiment. Unless you are a circuit designer or tech, you may not know the true direction of flow in the circuit. Some boards have been known to be marked incorrectly.

In testing marked fuses here, it's been determined that the fuse manufacturers are marking them correctly for directionality.

You do know a fuse is just a piece of wire?
confused_face_2.gif

Or am I missing something????
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #114 of 797
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is a Furutech more than just a piece of fusewire then?

Just for interest how much do they cost?

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #115 of 797
Mar 6, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #117 of 797
The Furutech is not just copper. Rhodium plated and cryo'd. Can't really knock them if you haven't tried them. They are my favorite and I have 4 different Audio grade fuses.

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #118 of 797
Sorry, I am not knocking them. I don't know what i said to make you think that.

I am confused though. I am struggling to understand how a rhodium plated and cryo'd 1/4" length of copper wire can have different properties if you turn it around.

The fuse is only about 1/4 in long, yes?. If you can argue that a 12" run of power cable makes subtle differences to the sound, then what sort of differences can a 1/4" long piece of wire at the end of it make to your system? And you can hear differences by turning this 1/4" piece of wire around the other way.

Have you tried taking the fuse out and replacing it back the same way around? I am thinking just the act of taking the fuse out could be removing a layer of oxidation at the contacts. So the change you are hearing might not be for the reason you think.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #119 of 797
May be the way wire is twisted or how it is attached to each end? I have a blown Furutech if you want it to take apart to see? I should ask my dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back