Audio Grade Fuses
Mar 6, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #121 of 798
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does it sound like now?

After turning it around, and letting it settle back in the sound is much more dynamic (as opposed to having the fuse in "backwards') and less congested. As far as the overall Furutech improvements (from stock fuse) I'm hearing slightly better separation, more microdetail, and slightly tighter bass response. Leading edges of transients are still quite sharp as they should be (piano attack, for example) but are more musically real...not as harsh as they could tend to be before the Furutech. keep in mind i only have one of the two AC fuses replaced so far (neutral leg I believe).

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #122 of 798
Quote:

May be the way wire is twisted or how it is attached to each end? I have a blown Furutech if you want it to take apart to see? I should ask my dealer.

If its blown why don't you just crack it open and see what's inside. I don't understand, why do you need to ask your dealer?

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #123 of 798
It is simple, You ask the question how they are built? Somebody else will? Hopefully it is a simple explanation?

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #125 of 798
This is AC... current flows both directions
tongue.gif
alm:

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #126 of 798
There are arrows on the fuses that are directional. They do sound underwhelming when the are put in the wrong direction.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #127 of 798
Alternating, by definition, doesn't have a 'direction'

"an electric current that reverses its direction at regularly recurring intervals"

Whichever way around a fuse goes, it'll be the 'correct' direction 50% of the time, if said directionality existed.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #128 of 798
Hey Smeggy, I have a 4-3amp fuses if you have something to try them out on? They are fun and cheap to roll. Any more Wooden Grado Mods?

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #129 of 798
Just curious... do you use larger amperage fuses than rated? 3A seems kinda large for most hp amps, my dynahi tranny only needs a 2A slow-blow (without inrush protection). At $30 each, I wouldn't want to have many of those go poof
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #130 of 798
Had only one go poof. On the back back of the DV336se it says 1amp, inside was a 3amp. Bought that 1amp once. On my Woo 3+, the 3amp was just fine with Jack. That was very cool since I have a collection of them.

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #131 of 798
Quote:

There are arrows on the fuses that are directional. They do sound underwhelming when the are put in the wrong direction.

What is the right direction? Is it when the arrow is pointing in the direction of the positive voltage sine waves or the negative voltage ones?

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #132 of 798
Excuse the thread bump, but I finally got round to my first audio grade fuse – with a result more interesting than I had expected.

This one was a 13A gold capped HiFi Tuning (HFT) that fits into a UK mains plug. It was a “freebie” that came with my Audience Power Conditioner a few months back (see here for my review).

That review was based on having the HFT fuse in the plug that fed the Audience – i.e. the common entry point for all my components and so the most crucial. After just enjoying the sound for a few weeks, I swapped the HFT for a stock fuse and this seemed to downgrade the sound slightly. However, the difference was fairly subtle TBH and I couldn’t discount placebo at this point. So then I went to the next level and bypassed the fuse entirely! Before going any further, I’d like to think that all head-fiers are sensible, intelligent people, but for those who aren’t and for newbies…

WARNING: DEATH CAN BE FATAL. And even worse, your system will sound rubbish if it’s burnt to a crisp. The only, ONLY place that it is arguably appropriate to bypass a fuse is in a UK mains plug, which is redundant when you already have a circuit breaker/RCD at one end of the chain and the component’s lower rated fuse at the other. Some UK audiophiles use European schuko plugs/sockets as a way of bypassing the 13A fuse. Never, ever try replacing your main component’s fuses with anything other than the correctly rated fuse as recommended by the manufacturer.      

Having got that out of the way, the reason I’ve brought this up is that the SQ improvementof fuse bypass above the HFT was considerably greater than that of the HFT above stock fuse. The bypass very obviously built upon the main strength’s of the Audience: micro detail and macro dynamics, with more solid and lifelike images. 

My conclusions from this limited test were that (a) fuses can significantly affect a system’s SQ; (b) that they are probably the best value for money tweak you can get – assuming the rest of the system is transparent enough to show it; (c) that HFT still has some way to go to get to the ultimate level (no fuse at all).

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #133 of 798
Do you use the gold or silver HFT?

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #134 of 798
Dunno. It was a freebie and there was nothing on the packaing to indicate which version. As the end caps looked gold, I've gussed it was the gold version. Based on the earlier comments in this thread, when I (eventually) get round to ordering replacement fuses for my Stax amp and CDP, they will probably be the IsoCleans.

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #135 of 798
IsoCleans are an awesome choice. Like them more the the HFT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back