Audio Grade Fuses
Oct 13, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #721 of 798
Just replaced the stock fuse in my ARC Ref 6SE Tube Preamp with the SR Master Fuse, been putting off upgrading it for months and finally pulled the trigger. This is my first fuse upgrade ever so I wasn't sure what to expect. It's been playing for about 30 minutes and I can say I'm already impressed with the result.

Compared to a generic stock fuse, there is an immediately noticeable improvement to fullness & weight of musical notes (bass hits are improved as a result), tonally denser but not overly coloured, overall tonality is the same I'd say but slightly warmer, which is a welcome. Both soundstage width and depth are also improved quite a bit. Overall, there's a sense of increased "groundedness" or solidity in the music, if that makes sense.

This is just initial impressions after about 30 minutes and burn in time is supposedly 200-300 hours which will literally take months since it's replacing the fuse in my tube amp so I can't leave it on continuously. I got a nice dealer discount but even without it I'd say it's worth the asking price at 600, it's definitely punching above it's price point imo. Improvement is on par with that I've found in power cords in the 1-1.5k range.

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #722 of 798
Synergistic Research Master Fuse with 1.5 metre Furutech DPS-4.1 Limited Edition Power Cable and FI-1363 NCF Rhodium and FI-52 NCF Rhodium plugs. (96hrs burn-in)

SETUP:

I first connected my Isotek Syncro power cable from the wall to my Isotek V5 Titan conditioner and then added the new Furutech cable with SR Master fuse (above) from my Titan to the Isotech Evo3 Sigmas in order to affect my Innuos Gen2 Statement Streamer, Chord M Scaler, Chord Dave Dac.

INITIAL NOTES:
Immediately, I experienced a greater speed and slam in my system. (Even with only 96 hours burn-in so far). In fact, it was an opening slam, that actually startled me to the extent that I instinctively ducked! Haha "Wow! That is lightening speed." (This was the opening to ‘The Ocean’ from Houses of The Holy btw).

Dynamics, both macro and micro, were now more authentic.

There was a Lower noise floor too. I would venture this could be as much as 3-5db quieter. It is unmistakable.

Timing was truly exceptional to my mind. Again, you couldn’t miss it.

Improved Delicacy (due to the new speed).

I noticed that the Snare drum and 12 String guitar (in particular) had authentic ‘delicacy and speed’. Beautiful detail and shimmering harmonics from the 12 guitar. No leftover remnants of bass lag in the hit of a snare drum. Pure. To get a vicious smack of a snare drum together with ‘clear as day’ delicacy of the snares, is something I have not experienced reproduced properly from ‘any’ hi-fi system until now tbh. Despite owning a DAVE Dac and Piega ribbon coaxial ‘tweeter and mid’, I had still not heard that before. This new experience just shows how important good electrics are to transient speed. Despite my continual improvements over the years, the Piega coax and Dave Dac were still not achieving the sort of speed necessary to truly show what they can do at the cutting edge of transient speed and delicacy. This says to me that you need lightning transient speed in your system to hear something like drum snares properly, otherwise they simply sound shadowed by low frequency overhang and smudged (not dissimilar from white noise). Why does it matter, well, because a snare drum has dynamic spikes which cause havoc with a mix and essentially many mixes ‘brick-wall (compress)’ the snare hit in the mix to give headroom for other instruments. This loses almost all the feel (dynamic variance) from the hit of the snare drum skin in the recording. It is the ‘snares’ sound, (which are quieter and not compressed in the same way), that still provide rhythm feel, via dynamic variance. To understand what I am talking about, have a listen to Cozy Powell drumming or perhaps the drummer of many Elvis Costello tracks. Both drummers do not use the snares for most of their recordings. So their snares are silent and all you hear is the hit on the skin. The result, (after the mix), is a track almost devoid of feeling from the snare drum. It normally sounds like a poor, early 1980’s, drum machine.

Further Notes and experiences:
There is a Lower-bass depth now, also, and smooth, deep, sub-bass harmonic oscillation, when the material dictates.

Bass guitar articulation is improved too. I sensed this was more down to improved speed, than merely the benefit of lower noise floor.

Smoother sound in general, across the whole mix

Very fresh, clean sound. Really clean. It took me a little while to acclimatise to this but I wouldn’t go back.

Again the speed and slam are just so so impressive.

I really like this sound. It’s more engaging and musical.

Timbre has improved nicely. Very authentic tones of instruments.

The Soundstage lifted and spread in all directions. The imaging depth was impressive, so focussed and clear. It is now so easy to hear low level information off in the distance. No haze. There is a layering here that I hadn’t experienced before either, so instruments right at the front came forward, yet I could hear more low level information way off in the distance that had previously been closer (before this SR master fuse and Furutech cable were inserted). This is obviously very good for listening to acoustic music, for instance, orchestration.

CONCLUSION:
I have been trying to come up with an analogy that is easy to describe my experience. So here goes: My system, with the new fuse and cable, is like changing from copper cable broadband to fibre-optic. So much so, that I have since purchased a second cable and second SR Master Fuse.

The cost of this fuse and cable is certainly not cheap but as an expense to improving a high quality HIFI setup, it’s nowhere near esoteric prices or even high middle level. Imo, it is a no brainier ‘cost to SQ’ improvement ratio.

I would still agree with anybody who says, ‘this shouldn’t be necessary’, but there it is. This is a very expensive fuse but add it to a very good but not even a top line, power cable (price wise) and it can change your system meaningfully imo.

Anyway, well done Synergistic Research and Furutech. These are exceptional products. I would say they even represent an audiophile bargain.

Price: £1752.45 (purchased via Future Shop), including SR Master fuse and

Contact Enhancer: DeoxIT Gold G-Series +

Sleeving: Black Braid and 96 hour burn-in

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #723 of 798
There was a Lower noise floor too. I would venture this could be as much as 3-5db quieter. It is unmistakable.
Has anyone ever measured a fuse lowering a noise floor?

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #724 of 798
I think that's a good question Lvivske and I would also be interested in such a test.

This recent test from Alpha Lab is something on similar lines, where 3 power conditioners are tested and they clearly affect the noise floor to a greater and lesser degree. I thought it interesting that the best, didn't give the best sound, though, as assessed by Alpha Lab. It may be that you can filter and filter electric current but there may come a point where something is lost. They felt that Isotek Titan had a better sound to them:

I would also mention that I have had Synergistic Research Orange Fuses across my whole system, Then changed to Blue across the system and then changed to Purple across the whole system but none of those changes in total were as big as the change brought about by this one Master Fuse and New Furutech Power Cable in my system.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #726 of 798
Be careful with Master fuses. One is often enough, some systems may need two. But more of them usually corresponds to deterioration in SQ. Just like it is said on their website. Been there , done that.
I did read that, Subdusted, though some have since commented that, for them, it has been worth adding the second Master Fuse. I have used mine to focus on my Sigmas and Power Amp. The Purple Fuses still individually cover my Streamer, M Scaler and DAC. It has worked very well for me.

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #727 of 798
Everything has an affect on the system. I've switched out just one Oyaide GPX R V2 power cable with Platinum + Palladium plated connectors with an Oyaide low price cable with standard Panasonic connectors, and the change in soundstage and tone was dramatic.

Here's an interesting video comparing a high end system with and without Accuphase's PS-1250.

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #728 of 798
I would also mention that I have had Synergistic Research Orange Fuses across my whole system, Then changed to Blue across the system and then changed to Purple across the whole system but none of those changes in total were as big as the change brought about by this one Master Fuse and New Furutech Power Cable in my system.
Are you able to say what proportion of this improvement was due to the Master fuse relative to the Furutech components?
This could quite easily be done by swapping the Master out for, say, as purple?

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #729 of 798
Are you able to say what proportion of this improvement was due to the Master fuse relative to the Furutech components?
This could quite easily be done by swapping the Master out for, say, as purple?
It’s very subjective of course but I would say approx. 60/40 in favour of the Fuse. Particularly on dynamics, separation and clarity. What the cable and connectors seem to add is further improved noise floor and authentic timbre/tone.

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #730 of 798
It’s very subjective of course but I would say approx. 60/40 in favour of the Fuse. Particularly on dynamics, separation and clarity. What the cable and connectors seem to add is further improved noise floor and authentic timbre/tone.
Which is an impressive result for the fuse - considering it's so much smaller and less costly than the combined Furutech cable and connectors. One day I'll do a direct comparison between my SR Purple and a fuse-sized solid copper rod. If the fuse wins, then that will confirm to me my suspicion that the main benefit of such audiophile fuses is that they are performing some kind of filtering or conditioning, more than anything to do with conductivity.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #731 of 798
I've had much better luck with Oyaide connectors than Furutech. Their Inlet PP is just unbeatable regardless of price. Furutech NCF may give you more detail but they lack in density of the sound and overall tonal beauty. Inlet PP is one of the cheapest and best upgrades avaialable.

Nov 12, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #732 of 798
I think asking where the noise comes from in the first place would be a better question. I live in a fairly quiet place and my headphone is dead silent when I put them on even when I max out my amp. There's virtually no noisefloor to speak of. Isn't this a universal experience among people who invested in a high quality DAC/Amp?

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #734 of 798
I'm looking for a fuse that provides thick sounding, solid, dynamic, clean, sound. Less interested in airiness. I want that solidity (tonal density without fuzz) sound. Also- I need a whett sound; not dry sterile type of detail. Actually, I tried the SR Master and it fits the bill. Harder more solid sound- zero fuzz. However I cant put one of these in 6 components. What other fuze is similar sounding?

Any recommendations.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #735 of 798
I'm looking for a fuse that provides thick sounding, solid, dynamic, clean, sound. Less interested in airiness. I want that solidity (tonal density without fuzz) sound. Also- I need a whett sound; not dry sterile type of detail. Actually, I tried the SR Master and it fits the bill. Harder more solid sound- zero fuzz. However I cant put one of these in 6 components. What other fuze is similar sounding?

Any recommendations.
One of these guys perhaps. Seems to fit the criteria.

https://highend-electronics.com/products/audio-magic-masterpiece-m-1-beeswax-fuse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back