Audio Grade Fuses
Sep 29, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #541 of 804
Agree, I currently using the xduoo TA20 it’s not that expensive and has added some nice system improvements. I use tubes and cables verse using an Equalizer to fine-tune the SQ to my liking.

Oct 6, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #542 of 804
now you guys are gonna make me get the SR Purples
And now the Purp fuses are on 'sale' as in buy 2 get a third 'free', which of course means there is yet another improvement inbound for even more $$$.

JJ

Nov 6, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #543 of 804
Hi. I'm new to the "fuse" talk. Putting price issues aside, does everyone agree these purple fuses make things better or is it "different" rather than better? Or is it "placebo" and there is NO difference?

What is the general consensus? Also- if these fuses make a difference, in a few short words- how would users describe the differences?

Also- If I could replace all my fuses in my system with these Purple or add- say a Etherregen for the same price- which would you do?

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #544 of 804
Hi. I'm new to the "fuse" talk. Putting price issues aside, does everyone agree these purple fuses make things better or is it "different" rather than better? Or is it "placebo" and there is NO difference?

What is the general consensus? Also- if these fuses make a difference, in a few short words- how would users describe the differences?

Also- If I could replace all my fuses in my system with these Purple or add- say a Etherregen for the same price- which would you do?
Things aren't always straightforward because they generally will both increase the sound quality and add their own flavor. Also, it depends on the fuse you are replacing. Some manufacturers install pretty good ones. I've never found one better than the aftermarket ones like SR, but in at least one case the tonal balance of the stock fuse suited the amp better.

I think the fuses will make more of a difference than an Etherregen.

I'd say the descriptors are similar to with a high end power cable, more resolution, more punch, more black background, less noise, less grain. I'd say the SR fuses add significant bass quantity as well.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #545 of 804
Things aren't always straightforward because they generally will both increase the sound quality and add their own flavor. Also, it depends on the fuse you are replacing. Some manufacturers install pretty good ones. I've never found one better than the aftermarket ones like SR, but in at least one case the tonal balance of the stock fuse suited the amp better.

I think the fuses will make more of a difference than an Etherregen.

I'd say the descriptors are similar to with a high end power cable, more resolution, more punch, more black background, less noise, less grain. I'd say the SR fuses add significant bass quantity as well.
thank you....

Nov 14, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #546 of 804
Has anyone compared SR and Gustard fuses?

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #548 of 804
I ordered SR Orange. Because I got a 50% discount. For amp, preamp and DAC. Probably not as good as purple. But before purple, orange was the best SR, right? Has anyone listened to both?

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #549 of 804
I just replaced my fuses from stock to SR purple.

Definitely much more detail- immediately; but I think my ears were used to the rounder sound. I need time to get used to these. Technically very superior; but perhaps to much of a good thing.
Also, the fuses will need time to ‘break in’. Best to play music (not test tones etc) at low volume for that purpose.

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #550 of 804
I ordered SR Orange. Because I got a 50% discount. For amp, preamp and DAC. Probably not as good as purple. But before purple, orange was the best SR, right? Has anyone listened to both?
I have owned both. I personally prefer the frequency balance in the Orange because it is more balanced and punchy. But I use the Purple because the overall sound quality and richness are better and it is very musical. I wish there was something in between, because they are quite different. In a way, life was simpler before I heard the Purple.

The SR Orange is excellent and Purple brings improvement, and also much more midrange emphasis and weight that isn't always what you want. I think you will be happy with the Orange.

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #551 of 804
I have owned both. I personally prefer the frequency balance in the Orange because it is more balanced and punchy. But I use the Purple because the overall sound quality and richness are better and it is very musical. I wish there was something in between, because they are quite different. In a way, life was simpler before I heard the Purple.

The SR Orange is excellent and Purple brings improvement, and also much more midrange emphasis and weight that isn't always what you want. I think you will be happy with the Orange.
Just curious, how much of a difference would you say it makes from the orange vs purple?

If you had to quantify it as a percentage?

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #552 of 804
Also, the fuses will need time to ‘break in’. Best to play music (not test tones etc) at low volume for that purpose.

You have a fuse in your signal path?

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #553 of 804
Nov 22, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #554 of 804
As a fuse newbie, wondering which part of my chain would benefit most from fuse replacement: DAC, DDC, OTL amp, or should I consider upgrading fuses on all of them? Thanks!

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #555 of 804
The SR Orange is great all round, but the Purple is better all round.
I can't quantify this in numbers, but if I was buying from scratch, I'd pay the extra for the Purple. And if I already had an Orange, I'd hang onto it for a while and wait for the next new colour that will probably be raved over.

I've not noticed any pecking order of component type that most benefits from a fuse upgrade. Be prepared to upgrade all components.
I would probably start with the highest powered component with the highest rated fuse. I could then briefly try that fuse in all the other components to guage its impact in each case. This won't work the other way round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back