Audio Grade Fuses
Sep 19, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #376 of 797
Ah, I see now.

Thanks for the explanation.

JJ

Oct 29, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #379 of 797
Orange is the new Blue (do they ever stop?).

And, at $160, the first reports claim that Orange is a bigger improvement over Blue than that was over Black.
Anyone tried it yet?
£155 for something that might blow on start up makes my bum twitch. Putting a blue in my dac was something my conscience had to wrestle with.

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #380 of 797
I figure they are trying to establish relative worth, as in we can charge this silly price for a fuse because they are better than their previous fuses.
What I don't get is they could sell a schiit ton MORE if the prices were say half (or even less), because we all know it it's not the manufacturing costs but 'price gouging' that drives these prices beyond the silly ceiling.

And I do like the SQ of their fuses but this kind of 'marketing mentality' for fuses just has the opposite effect for garnering new, let alone repeat sales.
And if the prices were 'reasonable' they could pwn the aftermarket fuse market, but they seem to need to want to maintain their relative status within the audiophool market place instead.

I just wish they would get a clue.

JJ

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #381 of 797
Anyone tried the chi-fi fuses from Aucharm or Create Audio from ebay or aliexpress? They seem to be way cheaper.

Nov 15, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #382 of 797
Anyone tried the chi-fi fuses from Aucharm or Create Audio from ebay or aliexpress? They seem to be way cheaper.

many years ago a tried a Create Audio fuse from eBay. It wasn’t terrible, but not nearly as good as the Black SR I replaced it with.
as mentioned earlier, I suggest people try bypassing the fuse with some wire to see what kind of improvement they can get... then perhaps compare a new fuse with that.

Replacing fuse in my sub probably made the biggest difference (vs AMR fuse).
Using a Black SR fuse vs copper wire seemed pretty close in my DAC/Pre, but didn’t do a long or critical comparison.
AMR fuses vs copper wire in my monoblocks made a much smaller difference (mainly to volume and a little greater bass weight - tried one with a fuse, the other with copper.)

I know use arc protection on my audio circuit... going fuseless. (But there is protection in my current Audio GD DAC/pre)

Nov 15, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #383 of 797
many years ago a tried a Create Audio fuse from eBay. It wasn’t terrible, but not nearly as good as the Black SR I replaced it with.
as mentioned earlier, I suggest people try bypassing the fuse with some wire to see what kind of improvement they can get... then perhaps compare a new fuse with that.

Replacing fuse in my sub probably made the biggest difference (vs AMR fuse).
Using a Black SR fuse vs copper wire seemed pretty close in my DAC/Pre, but didn’t do a long or critical comparison.
AMR fuses vs copper wire in my monoblocks made a much smaller difference (mainly to volume and a little greater bass weight - tried one with a fuse, the other with copper.)

I know use arc protection on my audio circuit... going fuseless. (But there is protection in my current Audio GD DAC/pre)

Everyone has different taste, I found SR fuse too hi-fi sounding to my personal reference, not organic enough as they changed high frequency too much that made sound unnatural. YMMY

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #384 of 797
Everyone has different taste, I found SR fuse too hi-fi sounding to my personal reference, not organic enough as they changed high frequency too much that made sound unnatural. YMMY

Interesting. The black SR is the only SR fuse I tried. I’m not using any fuses currently. What are you using now?

totally. Agree about trying first. That’s why I suggested comparing any fuse with copper or silver wire... especially when the fuse can be sent back...
It seems crazy there isn’t better protection offered that doesn’t compromise the sound so much.

Could anyone enlighten me on how Audio GD protects their gear? I understand Kingwa doesn’t use fuses, but something else?

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #386 of 797
I know I am late in the game of fuse comparisons. I have experience with the hifi tuning fuses. using 1st the gold then the silver and finally the ultrafuse. They did improve things over the stock fuses. I also tried the isoclean in another of my pieces which made a very noticeable improvement in the sound. I just bought a Rogue RH-5 and installed a hifi tuning ultrafuse yesterday. So far it is making a difference. But after perusing the net including head fi I decided to dip my toes into the pond and try the fuse comparison for myself. So I have on order a isoclean fuse, a furutech fuse and a AMR gold fuse on order from England . Cheaper with the pandemic going on the dollar is up versus the pound as far as the exchange rate. So I have to be patient it will take awhile to get here. But I am curious which fuse will be my choice for my new toy. The rogue is hybrid tube unit. Tubes in the input and mosfets on the output .
(wow just noticed that the last three blogs mine included came nine years after the earlier ones. 11 years ago.) just an observation hopefully the latest blogs will stir things up again as far as upgrading fuses in your equipment.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #389 of 797
do let us know how you go 🙂
Well the hifi tuning supreme fuse has pretty much fleshed in. Wow is all i have to say. The increase of dynamics especially among other things is making listening very involving. I will be trying the isoclean next when i get it. But it has a tough face off with the hifi tuning supreme. I could be very happy with what it is giving me now. I never knew you could get this level of dynamics from a headphone. I have not gotten the dynamics I am getting from any headphone that I have had.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #390 of 797
well I tried the isoclean fuse and it did some nice things. But after further run in I reinstalled the hifi tuning supreme fuse and at this point it is the reigning champion in the Rogue RH-5 headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back