Audio Grade Fuses
Dec 5, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #347 of 798
I'm not in the habit of perpetual fuse rolling. Once I've done a bit of experimentation, I then stick with what I have until I have a real need to change, for example when I get a new main component. The exception was the AMR fuses, because of their relative low cost, I felt it acceptable to upgrade them to SR Reds quite quickly.

However, at around £60 a fuse, I don't feel sufficiently extravagant to replace my Reds with Blacks.
So no. I haven't tried the Blacks yet. I was expecting to on delivery of my new DAVE DAC earlier this year, but as far as I can tell that component does not contain any fuse!  .  

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #348 of 798
I'm not in the habit of perpetual fuse rolling. Once I've done a bit of experimentation, I then stick with what I have until I have a real need to change, for example when I get a new main component. The exception was the AMR fuses, because of their relative low cost, I felt it acceptable to upgrade them to SR Reds quite quickly.

However, at around £60 a fuse, I don't feel sufficiently extravagant to replace my Reds with Blacks.
So no. I haven't tried the Blacks yet. I was expecting to on delivery of my new DAVE DAC earlier this year, but as far as I can tell that component does not contain any fuse!  .  

As you are UK based, like me, have you replaced both internal and mains plug fuses with SR Reds? Or are you a European plug and socket man?

I have SR Reds in all my Furutech mains plugs and my amp's internal fuse, but was thinking of going for Blacks for future upgrades.

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #349 of 798
I won't say what I do with my UK plugs because it should only be done if people really, really understand what they're doing and have the appropriate safeguards in place. The Euro plug is a good alternative, but I didn't go down that route because it may limit choices in the future - e.g. if I wanted top sell my cables etc. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #350 of 798
I won't say what I do with my UK plugs because it should only be done if people really, really understand what they're doing and have the appropriate safeguards in place. The Euro plug is a good alternative, but I didn't go down that route because it may limit choices in the future - e.g. if I wanted to sell my cables etc. 

I understand.

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #351 of 798
Have read the first 12 pages of this very interesting thread. I started my venture into the World of audiograde fuses about two years ago.

My amp is a NAD M3. I live in Denmark so its 230 V and has two 3.15A (powersection) and one 100mA fuses. Read a post in a Canadian forum about changing fuses i M3. I contacted the guy and he told me that only Hifi Tuning Gold were stable in the powersection -all others he tried had blown! He recommended the 100 mA be a Synergistic Research Red.

The change i SQ was noticeable - More "flesh and blood" and better stereoimaging. I did not notice any significant difference when switching orientation of the fuses.

Six months ago I changed the SR Red to SR Black - again a similar improvement in SQ. Then the other night i flipped over the SR Black. WOW - Big difference! Suddenly the bass got real power and voices were even more realistic.

Another thing of note: The two 3.15A stock-fuses must somehow be different from eachother. The output of the right channel always was about 2dB more than the left. This diffence disappeared when I inserted the Hifi Tuning Gold fuses. I know becauce I had to reset the balance on the amp.

In short my experience with audiograde fuses is that the music becomes more real - the feeling of actually being there is enhanched.

Hos Can this be? a fuse is after all only a thread - right? Yes but so are all components in an amp - and so are cables!! For me it is quite simple: Unless you can remove the "component" entirely without hearing a difference there is a good chance that changing it do matter!

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #354 of 798
Hi Black Stuart,

Replying to your 7 year old post about Hifi fuses on Head-Fi.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/419939/audio-grade-fuses/150

(BTW Also read that earlier post when your friend was being hammered with Clown jokes).

As I expect you already know by now... (but just in case)
Some people believe PADIS are the suppliers to Furutech.
And their rhodium fuses can be had for £20 on Ebay.

Good reviews and worth the punt.
Thank you for your past input.

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #355 of 798
I have been happy with my SR Black fusein my Burson DAC/Pre.
Given that you can send it back, it is worth considering.

Biggest change was in soundstage with my HD-560s. Improved transparency was also noted.

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #356 of 798
What Fuses are you guys listening to lately. Me it is a bunch of Synergistic Research Blacks. Not jumped to the blue yet.

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #359 of 798
I am also into AMR gold. I found out that some of the cheap chinese AMR-copies sounds great. Better than the real thing actually. They sound natural. A friend of mine have tried the SR Blue and he prefered the AMR. The Blue are too much hi-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back