Audio GD SA-31 head amp/ preamp . A powerfull Head Amp with Diamond Difference design .
Oct 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #316 of 444
Anyone here hear the C-2 SA? I'm hoping for that sound signature, as I always thought it would suit the Senns nicely. Great soundstage for ss, very musical, engaging, and perhaps a bit 'dark', but not warm. It was an incredible pairing with the T1s-got rid of their annoying treble for the most part, and brought out their somewhat lush mids. The AD2000 was also phenomenal on that amp-gave them a very smooth character I hadn't heard from them on other ss amps, extremely nice bass impact and tightness, and an incredibly black background. It's been a few years since I owned that amp, and it's one of only a couple that I really miss. And to think it never really sold at all before Kingwa pulled it-and it was only like $365 shipped iirc. One of the very first hp amps that could provide enough power for planars back then too.

-Daniel

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #317 of 444
I think people are just too used to labeling anything Audio-GD as warm. I don't find the SA-31 to be much warmer than neutral, really. SLIGHTLY warm. I've heard warmer SS amps like Audio-GD's own NFB-5.

The Compass 2 (with the Sabre ES9018) is about as neutral as I've heard, so I think people need to start getting away from thinking Audio-GD is a warm focused company.

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #318 of 444
I think people are just too used to labeling anything Audio-GD as warm. I don't find the SA-31 to be much warmer than neutral, really. SLIGHTLY warm. I've heard warmer SS amps like Audio-GD's own NFB-5.

The Compass 2 (with the Sabre ES9018) is about as neutral as I've heard, so I think people need to start getting away from thinking Audio-GD is a warm focused company.

Agreed, even with the so-called "warm setting", the sound is only not that agressive but isn't warm at all. At least not the common concept what we think 'warm' in audiophile.

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #320 of 444
Any opinions on the amp yet Daniel?

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #321 of 444
I like it-and it's for sale lol. Need $$ pronto to as my Leviathan deposit is finally due in the next week or two.

I really like this amp with the HD800s. Very smooth, dark not warm, musical-all traits that seem to mesh well with the HD800s at this pricepoint. Seems to match pretty darn well with the T1 as well-but I still much prefer the Senn overall-even on my current mid-fi set up. Currently running the above from an SBT/EDO-->DP-1. Great soundstaging for an ss amp-which I expected as AGD's Diamond Differential series are well known for this. Probably better than even the P1-u which is also well regarded for it's ss abilities. Some other mid-fi amps I prefer this to, wrt the HD800 are: Auditor, Concerto, m-Stage (some regards, not others), pretty much every amp in my profile less than a grand. For the ss amps I've owned, I still prefer the Bryston and Luxman over this-which should be expected considering their cost. But I would argue this amp is more well rounded than either of those. It has more transparency than the P1-u, and definitely easier on the ears than the sometimes annoying highs of the BHA-1. Easy recommendation for an SS amp for the HD800s that won't annoy the ears like a LOT of cheaper ss amps seem to with the Senns. Hope that helps...

-Daniel

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #322 of 444
  I like it-and it's for sale lol. Need $$ pronto to as my Leviathan deposit is finally due in the next week or two.

I really like this amp with the HD800s. Very smooth, dark not warm, musical-all traits that seem to mesh well with the HD800s at this pricepoint. Seems to match pretty darn well with the T1 as well-but I still much prefer the Senn overall-even on my current mid-fi set up. Currently running the above from an SBT/EDO-->DP-1. Great soundstaging for an ss amp-which I expected as AGD's Diamond Differential series are well known for this. Probably better than even the P1-u which is also well regarded for it's ss abilities. Some other mid-fi amps I prefer this to, wrt the HD800 are: Auditor, Concerto, m-Stage (some regards, not others), pretty much every amp in my profile less than a grand. For the ss amps I've owned, I still prefer the Bryston and Luxman over this-which should be expected considering their cost. But I would argue this amp is more well rounded than either of those. It has more transparency than the P1-u, and definitely easier on the ears than the sometimes annoying highs of the BHA-1. Easy recommendation for an SS amp for the HD800s that won't annoy the ears like a LOT of cheaper ss amps seem to with the Senns. Hope that helps...

-Daniel

Heh, I saw your ad and assumed you hated it. Good little write up and my thoughts exactly. I have heard better, but it is darn good for its price tier.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #323 of 444
Yes-if my budget was more limited, this would definitely be the amp I'd use for the Senns. Actually I'd probably still have an m-Stage too for it's somewhat lusher presentation at times. There is actually very little gear in my profile that I 'hated' (trust me-there's a few :p), but saying this is the best HD800 amp I've heard under a grand is saying a lot-I've heard a ton of combos and it's pretty hard to find something that synergizes well with the HD800, without also masking some of it's strengths (m-Stage, I'm looking at you here). I feel that the SA-31SE balances that fine line of making the HD800 somewhat musical, but not at the expense of transparency, soundstage, details etc. I do feel the Auditor was more transparent and spacious-but it's presentation had a way of making the HD800 sound wonky at times across the frequency band-distractingly so at times that it outweighed my enjoyment of it otherwise, which is why I got rid of it-despite it's strengths.

-Daniel

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #324 of 444
Hi,

I have the Schiit Lyr & recently purchased the Beyer T90's. I find the T90 treble a bit sharp with the Lyr & was considering buying a warmer amp which smooths the T90 treble but keeps the level of detail. Has anyone heard both ( the Lyr & SA31) & is the SA31 warmer / smoother sounding than the Lyr ?

If you has not heard the SA31 & Lyr but has heard SA31 &  the Schiit Vanhalla / Asgard , can you please give your impressions. As the Lyr is supposed to be the brightest of the three Schiit amps. So if the SA31 is warmer / smoother than Vanhalla / Asgard then it will be definitely smoother than Lyr.

Thanks

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #326 of 444
I have an Etymotic ER4s (100 ohm resistance, 90db sensitivity)
I am listening to music at fairly low volumes.

Do you think that this kind of mW will destroy those IEMs ?
or, are they safe ?

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #327 of 444
Nope, I've used mine to drive IEMS quite often. Just remember to start at low gain and work your way up.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #328 of 444
Absolutely. The AKGs should sing off the SA-31. The AKGs were brilliant off the NFB5, and the SA-31 is much more powerful, so I expect even better performance.

How is the SA-31SE with the HD650? I have the HD650 single ended, trying to decide between an NFB-6 and SA31. Appreciate your feedback :)

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #329 of 444

How is the SA-31SE with the HD650? I have the HD650 single ended, trying to decide between an NFB-6 and SA31. Appreciate your feedback :)

Do you have any plans on going balanced with these?
If yes -> NFB-6: less warm, should work better with the dark 650s.
If no -> SA-31: works better single ended, no question.

Note: I own the SA-31 and used to own the NFB-27 whose headphone amp section is of the NFB series (somewhere between the NFB-6 and Master-5/6/8).
I consistently favored the SA-31 with all my headphones. This includes the Mad Dogs 3.0 single ended, which is the closest (in sound signature) to the HD-650. Even though it should have worked better with the brighter NFB-27, it wasn't the case. The SA-31 is that good.

Edit: forgot to say that all my headphones = Hifiman HE-500, HE-4, HE-5LE, Fostex TH-600, AKG Q-701. They all are on the bright(ish) side of the force.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #330 of 444

I use my SA-31 to drive both the HD650 and T1 very well. No worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back