Audio GD SA-31 head amp/ preamp . A powerfull Head Amp with Diamond Difference design .
Jul 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 444

HaVoC-28

1000+ Head-Fier
Remember the Audio GD C2-SA ? Cheap and yet very powerfull . It's seams back , a bit pricer but even more powerfull . 

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/SA/SA31/SA31EN.htm

This beast should be able to drive any headphone 
very_evil_smiley.gif
like Hifiman HE-6 etc . 

SA-31 Standard (applied Neutrik RCA scokets): USD499

and an optional remote control . More informations at audio GD ^^

Like for NFB-6 , a "paired" DAC comes with the SA-1 (but you can use what ever DAC you want this )

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/SA/SA1/SA1EN.htm 

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 444
I currently have the c2-Sa I was waiting for these to come out as Kingwa mentioned them to me.
Looks sweet but no balanced input kills it for me. Ill stick with the c2-S.A. and Schiitt mjolnir I preordered.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 444
I would rather get this than NFB 6 because there are no SMD components.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #4 of 444
Just when I already given up on acquiring their diamond differential stuff they churning out a new one...
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 444
I am placing my order for the new dac tomorrow since it's the highest-end single-ended dac they carry, and should compare very well to the old Ref 9 (Diamond Differential too) that I once owned. The amp should be a spectacular performer as well, if my former C-2 SA was any indication. I would buy that too in a heartbeat, but I have a ZDSE arriving in another couple of weeks so there's no need. Kind of wish Kingwa would make another totl SE dac though...

-Daniel

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 444
I'm trying to understand the differences between the SA-31 and the C-2.2 that Audio GD currently offers. As I understand it, this new amp is closer to the older C2-SA, but was the C2-SA better than the C-2.2?

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 444
I'm trying to understand the differences between the SA-31 and the C-2.2 that Audio GD currently offers. As I understand it, this new amp is closer to the older C2-SA, but was the C2-SA better than the C-2.2?

SA usually means its more musical

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 444
Quote:
SA usually means its more musical

mmm I like, aslong as its not too tubey.

The question now is how does the SA-1 stack up against the Yulong D100 or D18? 

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 444
With 10 WATTS output won't it get to ear-splitting levels very quickly giving you very little useful range on the volume knob where channel imbalance is most likely?  I would love to order an Audio-gd single-ended amp/pre-amp with a remote, but that 10 watts seems ridiculous except as maybe a one-off specialty amp for the Hifiman HE-6.

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 444
Quote:
With 10 WATTS output won't it get to ear-splitting levels very quickly giving you very little useful range on the volume knob where channel imbalance is most likely?  I would love to order an Audio-gd single-ended amp/pre-amp with a remote, but that 10 watts seems ridiculous except as maybe a one-off specialty amp for the Hifiman HE-6.

power not necessarily mean loudness, the gain more involved when it come to loudness. also Audio-Gd use digital relay volume so channel imbalance is not a problem.

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 444
Quote:
power not necessarily mean loudness, the gain more involved when it come to loudness. also Audio-Gd use digital relay volume so channel imbalance is not a problem.

Thank you for that information IndieScent - that is very useful to know.  Now I feel a bit foolish for saying it was ridiculous to have 10 watts available. 
redface.gif

Would having all that extra power available be a benefit for dynamic peaks/impact and bass slam? I wonder if that would also be true then in its role as a pre-amp?  If I prefer to listen at what are probably lower volume levels than many, I should then probably get the +/-5db option for gain rather than the 0/+10 option (for Senn HD650s and Fostex T50RPs (not yet modified)?

On a further and more speculative note; with 10 watts available into 40 Ohms, I wonder if he could have put speaker taps on the back as well as it must put out a decent amount o' power into 8 ohm speaker loads... if technically possible.

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 444
Bump for any speculative comments from any seasoned Audio-gd fans about this amp.  What should we expect from a "[size=x-small]Fully  discrete Diamond Difference design"[/size] which "[size=x-small]retains rich details and high clarity with its abundant music flavor with wide and deep sound stage"[/size][size=x-small]?[/size]

Thinking about pairing the NFB-3.2 DAC with this as I can't quite see spending the extra $550.00 on the matching SA-1 DAC despite the allure of owning an Audio-gd PCM1704UK based DAC...

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 444
Quote:

Thank you for that information IndieScent - that is very useful to know.  Now I feel a bit foolish for saying it was ridiculous to have 10 watts available. 
redface.gif

Would having all that extra power available be a benefit for dynamic peaks/impact and bass slam? I wonder if that would also be true then in its role as a pre-amp?  If I prefer to listen at what are probably lower volume levels than many, I should then probably get the +/-5db option for gain rather than the 0/+10 option (for Senn HD650s and Fostex T50RPs (not yet modified)?

On a further and more speculative note; with 10 watts available into 40 Ohms, I wonder if he could have put speaker taps on the back as well as it must put out a decent amount o' power into 8 ohm speaker loads... if technically possible.

well some amp designer believed that is one on the advantage when you fully and properly powering your can IIRC. as for speaker taps, cant comment much as I myself not that much knowledge how much difference in design or component might be needed needed for power amp.

Quote:
Bump for any speculative comments from any seasoned Audio-gd fans about this amp.  What should we expect from a "[size=x-small]Fully  discrete Diamond Difference design"[/size] which "[size=x-small]retains rich details and high clarity with its abundant music flavor with wide and deep sound stage"[/size][size=x-small]?[/size]

Thinking about pairing the NFB-3.2 DAC with this as I can't quite see spending the extra $550.00 on the matching SA-1 DAC despite the allure of owning an Audio-gd PCM1704UK based DAC...

if you can afford it I would suggest get the PCM1704UK DAC as the chip is no longer in production iirc and Audio-Gd might be the last one with it on stock
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 444
Quote:

well some amp designer believed that is one on the advantage when you fully and properly powering your can IIRC. as for speaker taps, cant comment much as I myself not that much knowledge how much difference in design or component might be needed needed for power amp.

if you can afford it I would suggest get the PCM1704UK DAC as the chip is no longer in production iirc and Audio-Gd might be the last one with it on stock
tongue_smile.gif

Hum ? where did you read that PCM1704 are no longer in production ? 

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1704 according to this , production is not yet finished , but could be terminated any time soon .   

It will be when labelised like that : http://www.ti.com/product/pcm63

I know that a time Audio GD claimed that PCM1704UK was over peraphs their chinese distributor was told from ti that PCM1704 was over , but peraphs with huge demand , TI extended PCM1704 life time for a bit . " TI want to discontinued PCM1704 but there are still a lot hi-end fans love the real sound of the PCM1704UK." (From Audio GD , means that PCM1704UK still avaliable but no one knows when it will be definitively over)

Any way i am saving to get one of this DAC with PCM1704UK (Ref 5.2 in mind) . But if i miss it , i could pass without it 
tongue.gif
, peraphs waiting for some NFB-7.1 that appear time to time 
popcorn.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #15 of 444
Quote:
Hum ? where did you read that PCM1704 are no longer in production ? 

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1704 according to this , production is not yet finished , but could be terminated any time soon .   

It will be when labelised like that : http://www.ti.com/product/pcm63

I know that a time Audio GD claimed that PCM1704UK was over peraphs their chinese distributor was told from ti that PCM1704 was over , but peraphs with huge demand , TI extended PCM1704 life time for a bit . " TI want to discontinued PCM1704 but there are still a lot hi-end fans love the real sound of the PCM1704UK." (From Audio GD , means that PCM1704UK still avaliable but no one knows when it will be definitively over)

Any way i am saving to get one of this DAC with PCM1704UK (Ref 5.2 in mind) . But if i miss it , i could pass without it 
tongue.gif
, peraphs waiting for some NFB-7.1 that appear time to time 
popcorn.gif

I stand corrected then. I guess I got the impression by reading on Audio-gd site, but then again raising prices means less stock usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back