Audio GD SA-31 head amp/ preamp . A powerfull Head Amp with Diamond Difference design .
Sep 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #31 of 444
Quote:
Looks like good news for me.
If the SA31 works on both 50 and 60 cycles AC current, I can use it with a step up/step down transformer, whether I am in India or the US.
plus of course a big saving if it is at least equal to the Yulong a18

was actually thinking those 2 would be competitors. But I suspect the SA31 would be more coloured, where the A18 is more analogue. (Ofcourse I have heard neither.)

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #32 of 444
I have a question for owners: can you select to which headphone out sound is outputted or are both outputs active at the same time?

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #34 of 444
Both at the same time.

Thanks for the reply Fau. I was hoping to have both headphones plugged in at the same time and then switch to whichever I would like to listen with. Did you get yours with dual 6.3mm outputs?

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #36 of 444
I am 99 percent sure that the SA31 is the amp for me and my HE500's.
It obviously has more than enough power,and you have have found it to sound good
Does it have any background noise? How hot does it run. How is the service now? Some time ago,one member complained about delays in shipping.
Thanks in advance

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #37 of 444
No background noise. It runs warm, I'm guessing - around 40°C in 25°C room. Do not know what to answer about service - I have always had good experience in dealing with KingWa & his pals at A-GD.

BTW, my SA-31 has settled. It gained "blackness" comparable to Roc, but it has much "richer" sound than Roc. I've also re-evaluated "warm sound 1" and "warm sound 2" settings - it "bolds" the sound over whole frequency range and so it adds heavier stomp to lower notes too. No detail masking as I reported first time. "Warm sound 2" is perhaps too much, but "warm sound 1" is just about right for me. I might even give up on my modification plans for it...
wink.gif
not sure that Mundorfs can add anything more to the sound.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #39 of 444
I just with it had an amazing A-GD volume knobs and not digital buttons.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #41 of 444
Oct 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #43 of 444
Quote:
replace "with" with "wish" and it should be clear

Peraphs you could ask King Wa for a custom one , if he had parts ... he could do that i think .

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #45 of 444
Well, yes... digital up/down buttons are no match to knob turning intuitivity. It takes some time to get used to buttons.

But beside that - it performs flawlessly: it is not in signal path, channel imbalance is non-existent (useful in late night low level listening), has enough steps and gain settings are well chosen (+10dB/+0dB). I've opted for additional volume board (+5dB/-5dB), but had not have reason or urge to swap it in yet.

OtOH, you can get remote which sets you back for additional $50 which is,perhaps, a bit steep compared to whole unit cost... it is "indestructible" (aluminum) but rough on some edges (DIY fixable)... it has no repeat feature for volume up/down functions which KingWa explained as intentional - so that unit does not mix-up remote commands; not so sure this was not doable but funny thing is you can change volume faster with fast repeated presses on remote control than with holding volume up or down button on SA-31... it has no mute button (workaround: swap to "empty" input channel)... it has no standby (on/off) button... and I miss the most a button to dim or turn off the display (yes... again lazy late night listening).

Knowing all this now - I would order remote again... it is priceless in certain lazy lay back moments.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back