Audio GD SA-31 head amp/ preamp . A powerfull Head Amp with Diamond Difference design .
Oct 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #47 of 444
Well, yes... digital up/down buttons are no match to knob turning intuitivity. It takes some time to get used to buttons.

But beside that - it performs flawlessly: it is not in signal path, channel imbalance is non-existent (useful in late night low level listening), has enough steps and gain settings are well chosen (+10dB/+0dB). I've opted for additional volume board (+5dB/-5dB), but had not have reason or urge to swap it in yet.

OtOH, you can get remote which sets you back for additional $50 which is,perhaps, a bit steep compared to whole unit cost... it is "indestructible" (aluminum) but rough on some edges (DIY fixable)... it has no repeat feature for volume up/down functions which KingWa explained as intentional - so that unit does not mix-up remote commands; not so sure this was not doable but funny thing is you can change volume faster with fast repeated presses on remote control than with holding volume up or down button on SA-31... it has no mute button (workaround: swap to "empty" input channel)... it has no standby (on/off) button... and I miss the most a button to dim or turn off the display (yes... again lazy late night listening).

Knowing all this now - I would order remote again... it is priceless in certain lazy lay back moments.
wink.gif

But it has the gain button just next to the volume ones, which can be dangerous if you accidentally press it when you were previously set on low gain...

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #49 of 444
Do not be fooled Tim - SA-31 is warm and you can also choose level of "warmness", but unlike tube and warm SS amps that I heard - you get all the details and the background is just black. Due to added harmonics details are better perceived than through Roc and that is something if you consider that Roc is connected through balanced ACSS and SA-31 is hooked up with "just" plain old single ended voltage RCA connection. It makes you wonder...

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #53 of 444
none of you guys feel like whacking this with some D5000/D7000? It could either be magical (WA6SE like) or completely unsuited. I am interested.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #55 of 444
Questions about the SA-31.

I see the inputs are very separated for the left and right channels. I'm used to amps having the red/white inputs right next to one another.

Does the SA-31 come with RCA cables? I don't have any that are so far separated.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #57 of 444
NVM, Didn't realize all I had to do was cut something off the RCA cable and it allowed me to spread them apart easily. No new cables needed.

Still, I don't understand why the inputs for each channel are so separated on the SA-31.

In any case, I hate myself, but I just sent an email for the order w/remote and two 6.3mm inputs.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #58 of 444
kingwa said:
 The NFB 5 have the ALPS volume control port, but the SA31 have the relays volume control board, the ALPS port must have the channel imbalanced but the relays volume control without channel imbalance.
We can't change the SA31 to knob control.
Kingwa

Ah well, ordered the SA-31 with remote control and two 6.3mm inputs. I have zero use for XLR.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #59 of 444
Ah well, ordered the SA-31 with remote control and two 6.3mm inputs. I have zero use for XLR.

I am still considering getting this and while I don't have any balanced headphones its still nice to have an amp with XLR output in case I get a balanced headphone, HE-6 or the likes

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #60 of 444
The amp's not balanced, so either way, the XLR would be useless. From what I've seen, people who terminated their headphones in XLR have a standard adapter as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back