Audio-gd Reference 7 Loaner Program (USA)
Sep 25, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #61 of 370

Quote:
I use the Ultrasone CD and Chesky Records - The Ultimate Demonstration Disk to test my DAC, AMP, and headphones/earphones. Also it would take more time to test all the different genres of music I think.

no offense, but I think most of the Chesky recordings are uninteresting and to be quite frank, the music is... well... to average. Un-exiting

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #62 of 370

Quote:
GuyDeBord, do you have any room treatment for your speaker system? If not, have you tried measuring your in room frequency response and waterfall graph?

I use the amazing DSP of the Lyngdorf

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #63 of 370
I recommend the recordings from http://metaxas.com, who is a speaker and amp maker in Australia.  He makes some fantastic professional recordings. They are available un-processed (digital conversion excepted) from his site.  

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #64 of 370

Quote:
no offense, but I think most of the Chesky recordings are uninteresting and to be quite frank, the music is... well... to average. Un-exiting

I agree but that isn't what I use it for. I like how it is made to look for specific presentations in music and it lists them but it seems to do a poorer job compared to the Ultrasone CD.

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #65 of 370

Quote:
I agree but that isn't what I use it for. I like how it is made to look for specific presentations in music and it lists them but it seems to do a poorer job compared to the Ultrasone CD.

I agree. The Chesky album was a bit of a disappointment. It's not bad but I have better recordings and music. The Ultrasone CD is better as well.

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #66 of 370

Quote:
I use the amazing DSP of the Lyngdorf

I know how useful room corrections can be in dealing with peaks especially when using it together with room treatment, but what about nulls which can easily be 20 db down which can't be corrected by EQ? Moreover, there are also ringing, flutter, and decay to deal with. 

I think your rig has a lot more potential than it currently has if you would use your DSP (perhpas only reducing peaks in moderation) in addition to adding room treatment which aren't that expensive in contrast to the budget of your system!

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #67 of 370
I wonder if Guy has any more impressions or a summary of his experiences?  I guess the DAC is with TheMonkey now?

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #68 of 370

Quote:
I wonder if Guy has any more impressions or a summary of his experiences?  I guess the DAC is with TheMonkey now?

Monkey has been contacted and we should be trading in no time, I will post the final impressions in a few days, I apologize but I had one of the roughest weeks of the year and its still not over......

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #69 of 370
popcorn.gif
  Let's do this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back