Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
Jan 19, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #451 of 482

Quote:
Quote:
Scissors and Denys. 

Relax. You will get it. I went through the same experience. I had even longer wait as I had custom frontplates.

Thanks Poleepkwa.  I'm not in a rush as I'm still waiting for new speakers to arrive.  Anyway, I received tracking details earlier today, so I can fully relax!  Denys - hope you have your tracking details now too.

Excellent!

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #452 of 482

Quote:
Quote:
Scissors and Denys. 

Relax. You will get it. I went through the same experience. I had even longer wait as I had custom frontplates.

Thanks Poleepkwa.  I'm not in a rush as I'm still waiting for new speakers to arrive.  Anyway, I received tracking details earlier today, so I can fully relax!  Denys - hope you have your tracking details now too.

Hi Scissors,

yep, just received the confirmation by Kingwa and Janet !! that my REF 5 left China yesterday !!! The tracking details will follow as it takes a couple of days for DHL to provide them. Anyway, I am sure it's gone. And I believe I will order the Digital Interface B with the power supply....I will use my M2Tech in the meantime....

Can't wait !!!  
gs1000.gif
 I am 51 years old, and I am excited like a child !!!  
redface.gif

Denys

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #453 of 482

Quote:
Quote:
What kind of custom faceplate did you order Poleepkwa?

I did not want to have usb at al.My Ref5 has 2x optical and one COAX. The frontplate was updated to reflect that. 

That's cool. I wish I had done the same. I don't use the USB input at all, I would much rather have a BNC input. Oh well...
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #456 of 482
OK...

My REF 5 has been shipped.... It will be matched with my Senn HD800 and a WA6SE.....and Sophia Princess tube....

I hope I finally reached what I have been looking for for so many years......

I'll use my M2tech on my notebook while I wait for the Digital Interface I ordered this week....

All this set-up will be in my bedroom, where I like to read & relax listening to music.....

The first album I'll listen to will be the best recorded album I've ever listened to..... Bliss ~ Quiet Letters

Denys

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #458 of 482

Quote:
Denys,post your impressions! Why did you chose the REF 5? I have not heard it with tubes...

Hi Poleepkwa,

You may find this silly.... My first choice was the NFB with the Sabre DAC. However, when I decided to order, it was discontinued. Then I wrote to Edwin, who suggested the REF 5 because the new NFB ones were with the Wolfson DAC and had no review so far... Plus, the REF 5 had a few review and is considered as an excellent DAC, and he had some in stock....

After a few readings, I agree that it could be a good choice....it reveals a lot of details as well as the HD800, but the tube of my Woo Audio should make those details smoother if you understand.

Now, I wake up this morning, and the REF 5 is discontinued and the Sabre DAC is back.....

I ordered a Digital Interface with the clock upgrade, but Edwin, after telling how much it would cost total, and after I paid for it, replied to me that I will not have the upgrade clock for now cause it's also discontnued....maybe he will send it later or refund me or too bad so sad for me...

I'll see for that

I really hope I made a good choice with the REF 5

Denys

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #459 of 482

Quote:

Now, I wake up this morning, and the REF 5 is discontinued and the Sabre DAC is back.....

I ordered a Digital Interface with the clock upgrade, but Edwin, after telling how much it would cost total, and after I paid for it, replied to me that I will not have the upgrade clock for now cause it's also discontnued....maybe he will send it later or refund me or too bad so sad for me...

I'll see for that

I really hope I made a good choice with the REF 5

Denys

*Comfort*  It does not feel good i guess with the u-turning of decisions from AGD, at a time you were also make decisions to make purchase. Look on the bright side of things for now. Look forward to the RE-5 would probably make you appreciate it which is coming soon. I doubt you will go wrong with their reference series imho, only your mind could make it sound bad. =)

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #460 of 482
I am in the similar situation( was) , Denys.   I was thinking to order a NFB-1 and turned out it got discontinued, so I bought my second choice, a pre owned REF5.and now it is here with me , the NFB-1 is for order again.    what  can i say?

but a question, what do you mean the clock upgrade?
is it the DSP1  that you talking about ?

By the way, I love the REF5 + ROC sa version combo.

sound good with my LCD-2, HE-6 and T1

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #461 of 482

Quote:
I am in the similar situation( was) , Denys.   I was thinking to order a NFB-1 and turned out it got discontinued, so I bought my second choice, a pre owned REF5.and now it is here with me , the NFB-1 is for order again.    what  can i say?

Interesting as there is a Roc SA in the FS forum as is doesn't sound good with the HE-6 for the seller. We all have such a different taste so its confusing 
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #462 of 482
Received my Ref 5 yesterday and I'm absolutely blown away by it (but then I would be upgrading from a Zero DAC!).  I don't think I've ever been so happy with a "new" piece of technology.

Would have gone for a DAC19 had they not been discontinued - but I wanted a PCM1704UK based DAC after I recently auditioned a Naim DAC which uses the same chip but costs three times the price - so the next cheapest Audio-GD option was the Ref 5.  Glad I went for it when I did given that it too is discontinued now.

Very very satisfied.

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #463 of 482

Quote:

Glad to hear you're happy with it !!!
The clock upgrade comes optional with the Digital Interface which is a USB to SPDIF converter and has nothing to do with the REF 5 itself...

By the way, mine should arrive today, so I am working from home !!!!

Denys

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #465 of 482
Got it !!!!   Got it !!!!

Delivered at around 14:00 hrs today.......the DAC was so cold I had to wait until after dinner to plug it !!!

It was put in the truck in the middle of the night. The weather here in Montreal yesterday and today goes around -35 C with the wind !!! (Happens once in a while during winter !!)

The DAC was so cold I could not keep it in my hands !!
confused_face.gif
 This is why I had to wait a few hours !!! It's not easy to do !!!

I am listening to the unit now for about 90 minutes so far....

Will come back with my comments in a few days, if anyone cares !!

Denys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back