Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Jan 17, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #781 of 1,272
Hi!
Kingwa say

I think this is another bluff from them.
I only get a click from 1 DSD track to another DSD track from a different album. Or at the very end of the track if no more tracks from the same album that follows. I don’t get sound from PCM to DSD track but has it from DSD to PCM. I am using R2R7 with F-1 board (internal). There us supposedly to be a mute for this but audiogd does not have it. I presume the Signa delta DACs don’t have these issues

Jan 23, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #783 of 1,272
Hi R2R owners
Recently I just returned Denafrips Ares due to handshake compatibility issues. I am presently using A&K SR15, I connected using Micro USB to USB B dac.
During pause mode for more than 5mins, start play it becomes garbage. I must immediately pause than playback and its ok.
The frustrating part today is getting it to connect.
I am just checking wiill Audio-gd R2R have this issue also. Tks. Would appreciate some advice.
I am using portable Aroma Audio A100 as amp.

Jan 28, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #784 of 1,272
Planning to upgrade from my old Beresford Caiman DAC to an Audio GD R2R DAC. I only need RCA outs and a USB input (connecting my PC to my vintage amp) but I might use optical and toslink. I've narrowed it down to three DACs that currently have my eye:

Audio GD R2R 2
Audio GD Reference 5
Audio GD DAC 19

I don't need a headphone out; I want in order of desirability: strong fast deep bass, wide soundstage, a detailed sound and an overall neutral-bright sound signature. For those who have compared any of the three against each other or even other R2R dacs which get closest to my preferences? Any other Audio GD dacs i should consider?

Thanks

Jan 28, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #785 of 1,272
Planning to upgrade from my old Beresford Caiman DAC to an Audio GD R2R DAC. I only need RCA outs and a USB input (connecting my PC to my vintage amp) but I might use optical and toslink. I've narrowed it down to three DACs that currently have my eye:

Audio GD R2R 2
Audio GD Reference 5
Audio GD DAC 19

I don't need a headphone out; I want in order of desirability: strong fast deep bass, wide soundstage, a detailed sound and an overall neutral-bright sound signature. For those who have compared any of the three against each other or even other R2R dacs which get closest to my preferences? Any other Audio GD dacs i should consider?

Thanks

Hi @kid vic , i can only comment for Audio GD R2R-2 since i haven't heard the others. Before my R2R-2, i also had a Beresford dac and upgrading to the Audio-GD was quite a jump in terms of improvement. You get more of everything and better. I know this is subjective, but I wouldn't say that this dac is neutral-bright, at least on my system. The sound is smooth yet detailed with great transparency. Good bass but not over done and with a realistic soundstage. Audio-GD R2R dacs are known to sound 'analog' and the music just sounds natural with them. R2R-2 won't make the bass fast and deep if it is not in the recording. Those dacs are really sensitive to your source and equipment and will reveal their weakness. Upgrading the stock power cable would be a first step. Regarding USB input, i used it for almost a year. I recommend the usb isolator upgrade offered in the custom options. I recently switched to S/PDIF and HDMI inputs instead of usb (with a digital-to-digital converter) and again the sound quality improved. I love my R2R-2, music is just natural with it.

When i got the dac, i asked Kingwa about which input was better, this was his reply :
'''
This is relation with the sources quality.
For example if you connect an apple computer, compare to the cheap DVD player with SPDIF, the USB is much better.
But if you connect with a high end transport compare to any computers, you will consider the SPDIF is better .
So if you have a good computer , just USB connect is ok.
While you have a good USB to HDMI convertor (I guess it need over USD300), you can try with HDMI input, it is slightly better than the USB connect.
Kingwa
'''

This is my experience so far with Audio GD. Hope it helps !

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #786 of 1,272
Hi @kid vic , i can only comment for Audio GD R2R-2 since i haven't heard the others. Before my R2R-2, i also had a Beresford dac and upgrading to the Audio-GD was quite a jump in terms of improvement. You get more of everything and better. I know this is subjective, but I wouldn't say that this dac is neutral-bright, at least on my system. The sound is smooth yet detailed with great transparency. Good bass but not over done and with a realistic soundstage. Audio-GD R2R dacs are known to sound 'analog' and the music just sounds natural with them. R2R-2 won't make the bass fast and deep if it is not in the recording. Those dacs are really sensitive to your source and equipment and will reveal their weakness. Upgrading the stock power cable would be a first step. Regarding USB input, i used it for almost a year. I recommend the usb isolator upgrade offered in the custom options. I recently switched to S/PDIF and HDMI inputs instead of usb (with a digital-to-digital converter) and again the sound quality improved. I love my R2R-2, music is just natural with it.

When i got the dac, i asked Kingwa about which input was better, this was his reply :
'''
This is relation with the sources quality.
For example if you connect an apple computer, compare to the cheap DVD player with SPDIF, the USB is much better.
But if you connect with a high end transport compare to any computers, you will consider the SPDIF is better .
So if you have a good computer , just USB connect is ok.
While you have a good USB to HDMI convertor (I guess it need over USD300), you can try with HDMI input, it is slightly better than the USB connect.
Kingwa
'''

This is my experience so far with Audio GD. Hope it helps !

Thanks @BernieB ! The analog sound is fine seeing as my other main source is my turntable, the only reason I worry about bass is because my new (to me though I've had it for a few months now) amp has a little less bass impact than I prefer. I'm not interested in transforming slow and plodding bass lines into fast ones via the DAC, I want a Dac that can keep up with the speed in the recording without bottlenecking my system. Thanks for your input though! Looks like +1 for the R2R-2 at this point.

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #787 of 1,272

Audio GD R2R 2
Audio GD Reference 5
Audio GD DAC 19

Thanks
Hello
I have the R2R1 ( Balanced version of R2R2 ) and the DAC19 . The Reference 5 is more or less a balanced DAC19 with better power supplies and four PCM1704s instead of two , so it should sound even better than the DAC19 .
The DAC19 and Ref 5 has the legendary PCM1704 dac chips which gives them a very natural and musical sound . Weather the bass is going to be deep enough for you ?? , I don't know . I don't remember the DAC19 being overly bass heavy , but I am not a bass person . But it would fit your neutral-bright requirement . The more modern R2R2 or R2R 1 would be more detailed but not as strong . It's a more delicate sound but everything is there . The sound stage is also wider and you can identify each instrument . Audio gd dacs all have a very natural and smooth sound . Some of your requirements would actually be served by an ES9038 pro dac , which Audio gd also makes . They are very detailed and tilted towards your neutral-bright with good soundstage but I can't remember if the bass is strong . I have an Audio gd 11.38pro and it's all those things you are asking for and it's extremely analytical but the DAC19 is just nicer to listen to , it's more involving , more musical and more real sounding .

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #788 of 1,272
Hello
I have the R2R1 ( Balanced version of R2R2 ) and the DAC19 . The Reference 5 is more or less a balanced DAC19 with better power supplies and four PCM1704s instead of two , so it should sound even better than the DAC19 .
The DAC19 and Ref 5 has the legendary PCM1704 dac chips which gives them a very natural and musical sound . Weather the bass is going to be deep enough for you ?? , I don't know . I don't remember the DAC19 being overly bass heavy , but I am not a bass person . But it would fit your neutral-bright requirement . The more modern R2R2 or R2R 1 would be more detailed but not as strong . It's a more delicate sound but everything is there . The sound stage is also wider and you can identify each instrument . Audio gd dacs all have a very natural and smooth sound . Some of your requirements would actually be served by an ES9038 pro dac , which Audio gd also makes . They are very detailed and tilted towards your neutral-bright with good soundstage but I can't remember if the bass is strong . I have an Audio gd 11.38pro and it's all those things you are asking for and it's extremely analytical but the DAC19 is just nicer to listen to , it's more involving , more musical and more real sounding .

I should clarify that I basically don't want any LESS bass than my Beresford Caiman, more would be preferable but on par is fine. Also, a narrower soundstage than my Caiman is a no-go.
Granted, I am aware that most people won't be able to compare the sound of their dac to the caiman so this is just a rough guideline.
I actually am very much willing to look into other dac's so I will consider ES9038 dacs as well. My headphones tend to lean a little more on the analytical side (team AKG ftw) so I am trying to find a rough balance between bright-analytical and bright-musical. From your description I think the Ref 5 would get the +1, I like a slightly more tangible sound for both my headphone and speaker listening (I do both through the same amp) plus I'm planning to add the etheral sounding Hifiman Arya at some point.

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #789 of 1,272
I have the R2R-1 as well, and the tone is neutral relaxed, with a naturally full bass sound and a not forward, but not rolled off treble response. By comparison, the Mimby extends well, but it sounds a touch artificial.

Sound stage, separation, and detail should be excellent, if both DACs are comparable (and I have no reason to suspect they aren’t). As far as speed goes, I think your headphones or speakers are going to impact speed more than this DAC, since these DACs pair very well with Focal’s line of incredibly dynamic headphones.

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #790 of 1,272
I have the R2R-1 as well, and the tone is neutral relaxed, with a naturally full bass sound and a not forward, but not rolled off treble response. By comparison, the Mimby extends well, but it sounds a touch artificial.

Sound stage, separation, and detail should be excellent, if both DACs are comparable (and I have no reason to suspect they aren’t). As far as speed goes, I think your headphones or speakers are going to impact speed more than this DAC, since these DACs pair very well with Focal’s line of incredibly dynamic headphones.

If they pair well with Focals that bodes well seeing as AKG has a similar approach to neutrality, in terms of speed I'm not worried so I'll count your post as a +1 for the R2R-2.
Does the R2R-1 sound more etheral than the Mimby in your system?

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #791 of 1,272
If they pair well with Focals that bodes well seeing as AKG has a similar approach to neutrality, in terms of speed I'm not worried so I'll count your post as a +1 for the R2R-2.
Does the R2R-1 sound more etheral than the Mimby in your system?

I don’t know if I’d use “ethereal” as a descriptor in this case. “Soulful” might be a more appropriate descriptor. And I’m not talking about soul music, although ‘60s music does sound uniquely fantastic through an Audio-gd ladder DAC. The Mimby is very punchy and dynamic. My head amp, the LCX, is also pretty darn dynamic. The Elex is an incredibly dynamic headphone. It’s too much of a good thing when they’re chained together. The overall impact is almost impatiently dynamic, rushing to blast your ears with audio. Audio-gd’s ladder DACs are more smooth and analog sounding with a natural tonality, than the Mimby. When that sound is paired with a very revealing, dynamic headphone, the overall impression, particularly with vocals, is one that sounds life-like and, indeed, soulful.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #792 of 1,272
Hi all
I just ordered dac from kingwa from last Saturday. Paid thru PayPal.
I have asked kingwa few times on tracking no. He kept telling me his guys will sent out before yesterday. Today they start their chinese lunar new year holidays.
Have you all received late shipment or such form of replies during shipping.
Tks.

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #793 of 1,272
I don’t know if I’d use “ethereal” as a descriptor in this case. “Soulful” might be a more appropriate descriptor. And I’m not talking about soul music, although ‘60s music does sound uniquely fantastic through an Audio-gd ladder DAC. The Mimby is very punchy and dynamic. My head amp, the LCX, is also pretty darn dynamic. The Elex is an incredibly dynamic headphone. It’s too much of a good thing when they’re chained together. The overall impact is almost impatiently dynamic, rushing to blast your ears with audio. Audio-gd’s ladder DACs are more smooth and analog sounding with a natural tonality, than the Mimby. When that sound is paired with a very revealing, dynamic headphone, the overall impression, particularly with vocals, is one that sounds life-like and, indeed, soulful.

Interesting, my Kenwood amp is a touch laid back to me but very lifelike with a pretty good amount of dynamic action, should pair well with an Audio GD R2R.

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #794 of 1,272
Hi all
I just ordered dac from kingwa from last Saturday. Paid thru PayPal.
I have asked kingwa few times on tracking no. He kept telling me his guys will sent out before yesterday. Today they start their chinese lunar new year holidays.
Have you all received late shipment or such form of replies during shipping.
Tks.

The system is weird, especially if you're used to the maximum convenience and simplicity of online shopping in the US. The company that sends the email with the tracking number is not Audio-gd, nor is it DHL, I think. It might take a week or so, but you should get an email from someone eventually. Just be sure to check your junk mail folder in case it doesn't recognize the sender as legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back