Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Oct 21, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #602 of 1,272
Has anyone tried out the ALLO USBRIDGE (https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html) with the R2R 1 DAC. Is it fully compatible? Is there a need to install any drivers? Any shortcomings to highlight. Thanks.
I don’t have it but i run Volumio on and rpi 3b+. Compatibility with a dac depends on the OS used. For Volumio, there is a list of compatible devices available on Volumio.org. Amanero should not be a problem with volumio as the audio-gd dac-19 is listed if i remember well. My singxer f-1 works without any issue. No driver is needed,

The usbridge is according to a few sources the best bang for the buck for a usb transport. There is a review available on Positive feedback and another one on Youtube. It is basically a modified pi with an audiophile usb reclocker using fancy oscillators and regulators. My setup is similar as i use a schiit wyrd and an intona at the ouput of my pi. You will find lots of info on other forums on the usbridge. It is very well received pretty much everywhere i checked.

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #603 of 1,272
I don’t have it but i run Volumio on and rpi 3b+. Compatibility with a dac depends on the OS used. For Volumio, there is a list of compatible devices available on Volumio.org. Amanero should not be a problem with volumio as the audio-gd dac-19 is listed if i remember well. My singxer f-1 works without any issue. No driver is needed,

The usbridge is according to a few sources the best bang for the buck for a usb transport. There is a review available on Positive feedback and another one on Youtube. It is basically a modified pi with an audiophile usb reclocker using fancy oscillators and regulators. My setup is similar as i use a schiit wyrd and an intona at the ouput of my pi. You will find lots of info on other forums on the usbridge. It is very well received pretty much everywhere i checked.
Thanks for the reply. I plan to get it.

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #604 of 1,272
Thanks for the reply. I plan to get it.
From my experience with a pi and Volumio, i think you should be impressed. Give some burn in, the clocks should take around 100 hours. You can change sw later on but you need to open the case if i am not mistaken. Or you can choose DietPi upon ordering (i have not tried it yet). There are many sw packages available out there, but not as many for the Sparky compared to the pi.

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #605 of 1,272
About Volumio, there are a few minor glitches with the Web interface but it is overall fluid and very user-friendly. And sound quality is excellent. There is also an ios app available but it is not as elaborate as the web interface.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #607 of 1,272
About Volumio, there are a few minor glitches with the Web interface but it is overall fluid and very user-friendly. And sound quality is excellent. There is also an ios app available but it is not as elaborate as the web interface.
Just crurious,the volumio and a normal pc(laptop or desktop) using the same external dac,does it really have different in sound quality? although playing the same file

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #608 of 1,272
Yes. I played a dsd 256 file and alac hires files too, 94/24 and 192/14. No issue.

I also own a mac mini and yes, there is a difference in sound quality in favor of the rpi 3b+. That is using an attached usb drive as repository. The sound quality difference has to do with noise and jitter in the usb ports. With the rpi 3b+ however, using a network drive can degrade the sound. There is an article on Volumio.org about sound quality with the new pi. A workaround is to limit ethernet to 10/100. Otherwise packets can be lost. This can be done using ssh to edit a configuration file.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #609 of 1,272
Yes. I played a dsd 256 file and alac hires files too, 94/24 and 192/14. No issue.

I also own a mac mini and yes, there is a difference in sound quality in favor of the rpi 3b+. That is using an attached usb drive as repository. The sound quality difference has to do with noise and jitter in the usb ports. With the rpi 3b+ however, using a network drive can degrade the sound. There is an article on Volumio.org about sound quality with the new pi. A workaround is to limit ethernet to 10/100. Otherwise packets can be lost. This can be done using ssh to edit a configuration file.
How do you find Volume compared to Audirvana? I'd hate to give up Audirvana for only minimal SQ benefits...

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #610 of 1,272
How do you find Volume compared to Audirvana? I'd hate to give up Audirvana for only minimal SQ benefits...

Audirvana is a little less analog. It has slightly inferior depth depiction and bass. Also, I had sound drops every two hours with it, not a single drop yet with volumio and the pi. It is not a night and day difference but i prefer the pi. Another thing: on bad days with the mini, the sound would become edgy, not so with the pi. I yet have to experience fatigue with it. Results will depend on the rest of you setup, i use a wyrd and an intona downstream. The difference could even be more in favor of the pi without these. The difference is big enough i will not go back to the mini anytime soon. I ordred a lps to feed the pi, which could improve things furthermore.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #611 of 1,272
Audirvana is a little less analog. It has slightly inferior depth depiction and bass. Also, I had sound drops every two hours with it, not a single drop yet with volumio and the pi. It is not a night and day difference but i prefer the pi. Another thing: on bad days with the mini, the sound would become edgy, not so with the pi. I yet have to experience fatigue with it. Results will depend on the rest of you setup, i use a wyrd and an intona downstream. The difference could even be more in favor of the pi without these. The difference is big enough i will not go back to the mini anytime soon. I ordred a lps to feed the pi, which could improve things furthermore.
Have you tried with headphones?

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #613 of 1,272

So a ifi idefender or purifier can make a pc also works same sq as pi3b+?I don't know why,I can't find the file,I really give up because i can't get any help.

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #614 of 1,272

Interesting, there is only 1 GB RAM but it may not be loading entire file to RAM. I use euphony now which also sounds fantastic, rebooting from Macbok air. They also have Volumio implemented on the minidsp from HK. Have u tried comparing volumio with euphony? Do u use volumio headless via ipad or use monitor to control?

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #615 of 1,272
So a ifi idefender or purifier can make a pc also works same sq as pi3b+?I don't know why,I can't find the file,I really give up because i can't get any help.
Should work, only tried the wyrd and intona however. You are talking about the ethernet config? Look for articles on ethernet issues with the rpi3b+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back