Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Sep 30, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #571 of 1,272
I don’t know the deep down scientifically explanations. But I do agree here, because with good source, pcm on r2r7 is ways too good
Yah R2R7 really does an amazing job with PCM. The gap betweem DSD
and PCM becomes really close. Don’t get me wrong, R-7 still does a grear job on DSD, just the improvement over signa delta chip is not as great. I used to hate PCM after just listening to DSD but now PCM sounds. At times also beat the SACD player (though that is an aging machine > 10 yr old; listening to tape transfer DSD256 is like listening to high res Vinyl, u get the organic + accuracy too.
Whatever these audio-gd R2Rs do, probably doing the best they can with what they got for the money. The R Core transformers are particularly important I think.

Sep 30, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #572 of 1,272
Anyway, if u don’t care about
DSD or have no interest in Getting DSD in future, then R2R1 is totally fine. If u discover the amazing sound of DSD esp 128 or 256, then u need R-2 at least. Or R28. Listening to some gorgeous tape transfer DSD now, simply amazing :) call it a blessing in disguise for those not interested in DSD, as it is a pain in the butt to try to play DSD right on computer audio and on SACD too. The world is so dominated by PCM that both software and hardware for great DSD are limited :frowning2:

Sep 30, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #575 of 1,272
Mainly DSD 256 and 128. Some have issues with Iso files. The separate process for DSD is not as state of the art as the R2R but still sounding pretty damn good on R2R1 and R-7 at least seems to be as good or better than the older multi-bit SD chips but then it depends on how one implement it. If DSD is important the Signal delta DACs are safer. In the end one needs 2 separate types Of DACs for PCM and DSD separately. But in general R2R 11 is apparently having issues with DSD, per users on this site. I only own the R2R7
Because the r11 are in my budget...so thinking want to upgrade it,maybe next time i will compare the r11&my micro idsd.

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #580 of 1,272
I don't really want the DSD512&DSD256(I have only one for test)it takes too much space...
Yah huge files too much to process and really expensive downloads! The R2R11 would likely give a very different flavor. And if DSD does not work too well, then u always havw the iFI as alternative. Nice combination. I wish I had the chance to own something like fhe ifi or other junior audio gd products back 6 yrs ago but I guess back then they were not that available. There weren’t many great choices then.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #581 of 1,272
Isn’t the micro iDSD like $600? Though that is the black label one. It would be a downgrade in terms of cost to R-11. IFI seems to do more with DSD up to 512
Price does not always determine quality. The Chord Mojo is $500 and I’d take the R2R-11 over a Mojo any day of the week. Remember you’re paying a premium for portability and battery (for both Mojo and ifi), and the R2R-11 goes toe to toe with amps and dacs that cost 2-3x as much. So it all depends on your priorities. If you’re happy to sit at a desk, the R2R-11 is unbeatable for the price, and to my ears sounds better than the ifi. If you need to move around or commute, can’t really do that with an Audio-gd.

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #582 of 1,272
Price does not always determine quality. The Chord Mojo is $500 and I’d take the R2R-11 over a Mojo any day of the week. Remember you’re paying a premium for portability and battery (for both Mojo and ifi), and the R2R-11 goes toe to toe with amps and dacs that cost 2-3x as much. So it all depends on your priorities. If you’re happy to sit at a desk, the R2R-11 is unbeatable for the price, and to my ears sounds better than the ifi. If you need to move around or commute, can’t really do that with an Audio-gd.
I agree on that,the china company always have a much lower profit with their product compare to uk&us product, I'm not sayigs they are over priced but i think that the ifi micro idsd cost much is brcause of the huge battery capacity and powerful headphone amplifier which I not really needed although still they sound good.

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #583 of 1,272
Ever wonder what if you were to replace capacitors in the r2r7 to AudioNote or Elna ? Instead of Nuver ?
Nover are good capacitors. I doubt you would hear much of a difference. I think the firmware and jitter reduction are the most effective upgrade paths.

It seems to me that the da-7 board are pass-through devices. And therefore that jitter and dsp are the determining factors to the sound. When the grid is quiet, i can’t find anything wrong with the way the r2r 7 sounds. It is absolutely perfect imo.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #585 of 1,272
Nover are good capacitors. I doubt you would hear much of a difference. I think the firmware and jitter reduction are the most effective upgrade paths.

It seems to me that the da-7 board are pass-through devices. And therefore that jitter and dsp are the determining factors to the sound. When the grid is quiet, i can’t find anything wrong with the way the r2r 7 sounds. It is absolutely perfect imo.

Perhaps somewhat related, I have the r2r 1 and I had been using an older AG Digital Interface, USB to SPDIF, but recently swapped it out for a Schiit Eitr, and it sure seems like an upgrade to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back