Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Oct 24, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #632 of 1,265
I have it set to DoP. I have no mean to know if a conversion is done. Only, there is a pop occuring when the dac changes playback mode to dsd, which occurs playing the dsd256 file. But from what you say, i am not 100% sure. There is normally no pop upon pcm rate changes, that i know.
I could verify that the Volumio is converting the DSD256 file to PCM because the low level noise heard in the R2R 11 with a DSD256 file the I used to test is gone (like with the PC/JRiver by converting to PCM). The same track in DSD128 does have the noise, so I am sure it is being played as DSD.
It is good to know that Volumio does a great job assuring that all files in the library will be played either with the native format and resolution or converted to a supported format if the original source is incompatible. Very smart.

I agree with you. Volumio sounds great with files form the USB storage. I wish it had a better library management like JRiver MC. It does not show a name in the library for DFF files, just a dot signal. DFF does not have a tag, but Volumio should, at least, show the file name in the place of the absent track name. The same happens with non tagged WAV files. It does not support ISO images of SACDs. I use to stream from a JRiver MC server to Volumio, but the sound is not as good as from the USB storage and there are, still, some limitations due DLNA, specially concerned to DSD streaming.
If you organize well your music library with files formatted and tagged in a way that Volumio can handle well, it is very cheap and good sounding player.

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #633 of 1,265
I could verify that the Volumio is converting the DSD256 file to PCM because the low level noise heard in the R2R 11 with a DSD256 file the I used to test is gone (like with the PC/JRiver by converting to PCM). The same track in DSD128 does have the noise, so I am sure it is being played as DSD.
It is good to know that Volumio does a great job assuring that all files in the library will be played either with the native format and resolution or converted to a supported format if the original source is incompatible. Very smart.

I agree with you. Volumio sounds great with files form the USB storage. I wish it had a better library management like JRiver MC. It does not show a name in the library for DFF files, just a dot signal. DFF does not have a tag, but Volumio should, at least, show the file name in the place of the absent track name. The same happens with non tagged WAV files. It does not support ISO images of SACDs. I use to stream from a JRiver MC server to Volumio, but the sound is not as good as from the USB storage and there are, still, some limitations due DLNA, specially concerned to DSD streaming.
If you organize well your music library with files formatted and tagged in a way that Volumio can handle well, it is very cheap and good sounding player.
Indeed. I am looking forward to receiving the ultralow-noise lps i ordered to feed the pi.

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #634 of 1,265
I have one on the way. Will get in in less than 2 weeks if all goes well.

It should sound like the R28 DAC. You can find more comparisons to it already than with the R1. I don't know why there are so little written about the R1...seems good and attractive to me if you want a separate DAC. Will pair nicely with my NFB1 amp.

About DSD, I will quickly find out if there are any severe errors, but from what I could gather the issue is minimal or solved at this point. The biggest issue was with DSD background noise and that was firmware related. Will provide feedback if I find something worth mentioning here.

Cheers,
W

i am using J River now. Can it support iso? And iso m-ch? Only other software that does iso is audirvana. Ironic that the defective way of playing dad is great way to test if DSD is correcrly played. The noise from DSD 256 on my R-7 is great way to test for it.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #635 of 1,265
i am using J River now. Can it support iso? And iso m-ch? Only other software that does iso is audirvana. Ironic that the defective way of playing dad is great way to test if DSD is correcrly played. The noise from DSD 256 on my R-7 is great way to test for it.
Yes, JRiver MC does support SACD ISO. Stereo and M.Ch. tracks will be listed. If you are not interested in the M.Ch. tracks you can create a filter to hide them.

Sadly, it looks like Kingwa is not interested in resolving the DSD background noise. It is a peaty. DSD sounds so good with the R2R 11.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #636 of 1,265
Yes, JRiver MC does support SACD ISO. Stereo and M.Ch. tracks will be listed. If you are not interested in the M.Ch. tracks you can create a filter to hide them.

Sadly, it looks like Kingwa is not interested in resolving the DSD background noise. It is a peaty. DSD sounds so good with the R2R 11.
I am doing M-ch now using 3 DACs with j river so i may try some iso in a moment. U can try HQplayer to resample DSD at same rate )no upsampling). That suppresses the noise for me. U can only hear it if u strain your ears to listen. The sound suffers slightly with the resampling. I may eventually get 2 more DACs Kingwa for m-ch so all 3 DACs would be of same type. I won’t choose R-11 due to the defect on DSD. So may get R-8 and R-1

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #638 of 1,265
What version of volumio are you using for testing? Volumio has nothing to do with it, all the moments that relate to the playback of formats work through mpd!
https://thepenguin.eu/2017-12-22-mpd-and-dsd-files/
(dop = off, and if kernel/DAC support dsd native - its working)
I'm surprised and confused, because I do not see the DSD_native discussion in this forum!
These DACs use Amanero boards!
https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12
2005be firmware should be add support dsd256 via Linux on new kernel
Someone rewrote Amanero on these DACs?
Also
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/sound/usb/quirks.c?h=v4.19

/* Amanero Combo384 USB based DACs with native DSD support */
case USB_ID(0x16d0, 0x071a): /* Amanero - Combo384 */
case USB_ID(0x2ab6, 0x0004): /* T+A DAC8DSD-V2.0, MP1000E-V2.0, MP2000R-V2.0, MP2500R-V2.0, MP3100HV-V2.0 */
case USB_ID(0x2ab6, 0x0005): /* T+A USB HD Audio 1 */
case USB_ID(0x2ab6, 0x0006): /* T+A USB HD Audio 2 */
if (fp->altsetting == 2) {
switch (le16_to_cpu(chip->dev->descriptor.bcdDevice)) {
case 0x199:
return SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_DSD_U32_LE;
case 0x19b:
case 0x203:
return SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_DSD_U32_BE;
default:
break;
}
}
break;
case USB_ID(0x16d0, 0x0a23):
if (fp->altsetting == 2)
return SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_DSD_U32_BE;
break;

default:
break;

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #641 of 1,265
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R1/R1EN_Use.htm
OS/NOS (Oversampling) :
"O" for select oversampling, "N" for select NOS mode.

Mode ( OS and NOS modes):
While OS setting on "O" mean the DAC working under oversampling mode, lower number OS modes sound became warmer and smoother. Or depend on your sense .
Mode "0" : class technology NOS mode.
Mode "2" : 2X oversampling.
Mode "4" : 4X oversampling .
Mode "8" : 8X oversampling.

While OS setting on "N" mean the DAC working under NOS mode, different modes offer different sound features, usually mode 3 is most users favorite. Or depend on your sense .
Mode 1 : Simplest data process .
Mode 2 : Data fifo.
Mode 3 : Fastest data process.

Sorry, but when I click on the settings, only N and O change, but nothing flashes. I tried to clamp the two buttons and hold the settings button, only N and O change, and the second button toggles the inputs.
As a result, the screen displays only the N-1 N-2 N-3 N-4 and O-1 O-2 O-3 O-4

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #642 of 1,265
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R1/R1EN_Use.htm
OS/NOS (Oversampling) :
"O" for select oversampling, "N" for select NOS mode.

Mode ( OS and NOS modes):
While OS setting on "O" mean the DAC working under oversampling mode, lower number OS modes sound became warmer and smoother. Or depend on your sense .
Mode "0" : class technology NOS mode.
Mode "2" : 2X oversampling.
Mode "4" : 4X oversampling .
Mode "8" : 8X oversampling.

While OS setting on "N" mean the DAC working under NOS mode, different modes offer different sound features, usually mode 3 is most users favorite. Or depend on your sense .
Mode 1 : Simplest data process .
Mode 2 : Data fifo.
Mode 3 : Fastest data process.

Sorry, but when I click on the settings, only N and O change, but nothing flashes. I tried to clamp the two buttons and hold the settings button, only N and O change, and the second button toggles the inputs.
As a result, the screen displays only the N-1 N-2 N-3 N-4 and O-1 O-2 O-3 O-4
The setting key allows selecting the setting you want to change. Every time you push on it, it selects the next setting. The selected settiing blinks and you then modify it using the arrows. The blinking (modification mode) will terminate after a certain interval of time if you don’t push any button.

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #643 of 1,265
I was mistake!
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R1/R2R1EN.htm
Here is another work switching mechanism.
8X OS by default.

What mode of oversampling can you recommend? I understand that you need to set the jumpers necessary, and when switching "N" - "O" will be chosen the one that I set manually?
Also interested in the parameters "PLL setting".
I use a Cubieboard based USB transport with good power, and the latest Linux kernels and MPD (Music Player Daemon). Should I change the configuration of "PLL setting"? Transportation is fast and stable. And what are the default settings.
P.S. I noticed an interesting bug. When switching after a long DSD playback in PCM, a second squeak was heard for a couple of seconds, then it began to play normally. My version of R2R1 was brought from China this year.

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #644 of 1,265
P.S. I noticed an interesting bug. When switching after a long DSD playback in PCM, a second squeak was heard for a couple of seconds, then it began to play normally. My version of R2R1 was brought from China this year.
I’m so glad you mentioned this. I heard this ‘squeak’ with my R2R-11 when switching from PCM to certain DSDs. First time I heard it I thought my headphones had blown! Unfortunately this ‘bug’ is still there when switching to certain DSDs with the R-28, even though the DSD noise is gone in the R-28. I always set volume to zero or very low when switching to DSD now, especially with speakers. This has never been acknowledged before, let alone fixed. I don’t believe AGD does much if any testing with DSD unfortunately, else they surely would have picked up these issues.

Nov 3, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #645 of 1,265
I was mistake!
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R1/R2R1EN.htm
Here is another work switching mechanism.
8X OS by default.

What mode of oversampling can you recommend? I understand that you need to set the jumpers necessary, and when switching "N" - "O" will be chosen the one that I set manually?
Also interested in the parameters "PLL setting".
I use a Cubieboard based USB transport with good power, and the latest Linux kernels and MPD (Music Player Daemon). Should I change the configuration of "PLL setting"? Transportation is fast and stable. And what are the default settings.
First setting is ´n’ or ´o’, NOS or OS.
Second setting in OS is the number of oversamplings: 8, 4, 2, or 0
Second setting in NOS mode is 1, 2 or 3 meaning NOS1, NOS2 or NOS3....

With the r-1, r-8 or r-7, no jumper is needed. For the. R2r-1, see this page:

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R1/R2R1EN_Use.htm

I reommend OS 8 amd NOS 3.

I also have a popping noise when swithcing from pcm to dsd and the other way around. I don’t listen to dsd so i don’t care.

The pll setting does not have much effect, i prefer off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back