Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Aug 26, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #451 of 1,272
I also would like to know this, particularly for the R2R-11. I have asked here multiple times but never received a reply. I bought a blaster after getting an email from AGd saying it was simple to do. It is not simple to connect to the lower DA 8 module on the R2R-11.
I can confirm the R2R-11 fw update is essential (if yours is older than March 28). My local agent updated mine but it shouldn’t be too difficult to do. Eliminates all but the faintest pops. I’ve since upgraded to the R-28 which has zero popping/noise issues, and will update to the latest FPGA fw shortly.

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #452 of 1,272
I can confirm the R2R-11 fw update is essential (if yours is older than March 28). My local agent updated mine but it shouldn’t be too difficult to do. Eliminates all but the faintest pops. I’ve since upgraded to the R-28 which has zero popping/noise issues, and will update to the latest FPGA fw shortly.
Shouldn't be difficult but is IMHO. The block female connector on the blaster connects easily to the top DA but cannot fit in past the capacitors opposite the pins on the lower DA. You could get single connector wires (male to female) and connect them individually to each DA pin (using right angled tweezers?) but I am not confident that I know the pin numbering well enough to not possibly cause damage.

AFAIK there are no local agents in the US. And I will continue assume that no one here has personally performed the update on the RSR-11.

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #453 of 1,272
Hello
I did the Firmware update on my R2R1 and I have to say that it has been transformed . For me it sounded a bit weak and very moderate at first . Now it's much more dynamic and clear and really nice . I must mention that when I asked Mr Kingwa about the update he thought that I had a R2R2 and he told me that the update was not yet ready for the R2r2 . But when I reminded him that I had the R2R1 he sent me the file . So I think that the updates may be different for the R2R1 and the R2R2 . You should email them .
Jasoun did you have problem updating ? In my Quartus software I have problem. When i try to upload new firmware file I'm getting error message: Error (209040): Can't access JTAG chain. I have no idea what is wrong. I contacted Mr Kingwa asking about my blaster. Everything should be ok, still I cannot update firmware. Maybe my blaster/cable is just broken.

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #454 of 1,272
Jasoun did you have problem updating ? In my Quartus software I have problem. When i try to upload new firmware file I'm getting error message: Error (209040): Can't access JTAG chain. I have no idea what is wrong. I contacted Mr Kingwa asking about my blaster. Everything should be ok, still I cannot update firmware. Maybe my blaster/cable is just broken.
You probably don't have the proper driver. You have to install the one coming within the xilinx programming software dsitribution, if i remember correctly. First uninstall the currently installed one using the device manager.

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #455 of 1,272

I am not an expert in this Firmware updating thing as this was my first try . A couple hitches that I encountered . Did you load the drivers for the Blaster , are you using Quartus 12.1 and I found that if the dac was turned on the blaster would not show up in the Quartus program and lastly is the little lug on the Blaster cable connector pointing towards the inside of the dac when plugged on . Those are the problems that I encountered .
Hope I could be of assistance .

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #458 of 1,272
I noticed that some models have dac modules
da8 and some have DA7. what is the difference and which is better?
The da-7. They are more elaborate and have better linearity. The r-8, which uses them, is a cost-reduced version of the r2r-7. Great bang for the buck for just under 1500$.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #459 of 1,272
Also having issues updating my R2R11...

More specifically, in the iMPACT software when I initialize chain it detects there's a XILINX device but it's "unknown". According to Kingwa, it should detect more information and be ready to flash. As it's unknown, it keeps prompting me for a config file (BSDL or BIT), which I don't have, before it will let me flash the supplied JED file.

If it's not connected properly, even by one pin, it doesn't detect there's a XILINX device at all. So I struggle to believe it's a cable problem as Kingwa has suggested (also have tried 2 cables with same results). The flasher is brand new from taobao and appears to be working fine otherwise. In the guide a red unit is used, however the recommended units to purchase are grey like mine. I suppose that's irrelevant?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #460 of 1,272
image.jpg
This is the programmer i used for my r2r-7. If the cable is not connected at all on the dac side, you can't do the "initialize chain" step. Or if there is any connection error i assume. Make sure the cable is not just inverted. The side with the indent should be on top as in the update guide picture. An error can cause cause damage i supposed so be cautious.

There could be also be a driver problem. There are drivers in the labtools distribution. Think i used one from it. If i remember correctly once everything is connected and turned on, the status light should be green on the programmer.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #461 of 1,272
Thanks for your reply Fred.

My unit is the same. I'm sure I had the cable the correct way. Out of desperation I tried it the other way and it didn't work at all, didn't harm the R2R11 thankfully.

I guess it could be a driver problem. I tried doing this on Windows, did you? The fact it worked 'enough' to recognize there was some Xilinx device connected when correctly plugged in throws some doubt on this though.

I should probably give it a try in Linux... I also used v14.7 whereas the guide uses v14.6. Was struggling to find the download link for the old one. That said, v14.7 is supposed to be more compatible with Win10, my OS.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #462 of 1,272

My unit is the same. I'm sure I had the cable the correct way. Out of desperation I tried it the other way and it didn't work at all, didn't harm the R2R11 thankfully.

I guess it could be a driver problem. I tried doing this on Windows, did you? The fact it worked 'enough' to recognize there was some Xilinx device connected when correctly plugged in throws some doubt on this though.

I should probably give it a try in Linux... I also used v14.7 whereas the guide uses v14.6. Was struggling to find the download link for the old one. That said, v14.7 is supposed to be more compatible with Win10, my OS.
I am on Windows 8, which has some issues that i had to fix. The impact sw crashed everytime i opened a file browser. Try unstalling the driver and have the os find one in the Labtools folder. If i remember correctly, the driver that came with the xilinx programmer on a cd did not work. I had to work quite a bit to achieve a proper setup.

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #463 of 1,272

Hi
My PC has Windows 7 , I had a hard time finding the driver for the Blaster but this Instruction Video on Youtube solved it . " Installing Altera USB Blaster Driver " - - I used the version 12.1 Althera software and as mentioned the little lug on the usb Blaster's cable must be facing towards the inside of the dac .Hope you can get it done as it does make a nice difference . I am assuming that you have the R2R1 .

Aug 29, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #464 of 1,272
Mhm thank you guys for help, I've already checked everything like 10th times :p. I tried on different pcs (one with windows 10, second with windows 8.1) installed and reinstalled drivers etc. Still no success.
Maybe my blaster is broken ? Hard to say I'll try to set up meeting on teamviewer with somebody from AGD. Below are photos showing how I connect wire to the board. I think it's ok, the outshoot is placed beetween pins 1 to 9.rsz_img_20180820_210113.jpg rsz_img_20180820_210130.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back