Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Aug 31, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #481 of 1,272
Ok thank you guys for help. So it must be something wrong with my blaster/cable. Nothing is working, tomorrow I'l go to find new blaster or/and cable, and try again. Thanks again

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #484 of 1,272
Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm a happy Audio gd R2R 11 owner since this January. This DAC plays an important role in my work-desk listening chain. Even-though I found the integrated amp section pretty good, the setup is significantly different/better for me with a dedicated tube amp such as my Darkvoice 336SE. On the other hand I'm amazed by the DAC capabilities of this little gem, and find the ladder DAC better and more lifelike, than any of my previous DS DACs.

I'm thinking about a DAC upgrade in my bigger system which is located in the living-room. The first place on my wish list belongs to the R2R 1.
That chain contains an Electrocompaniet 4.7 preamp, an EC AW 100 dual monoblock power amp, and ProAc Response 2.5 speakers.
My questions are the followings:
- What's the difference between the R2R 1, and the newly announced R-1? (as far as I see, all NOS/OS/custom modes are programmable from the front panel, but I don't know if this is the only difference between the two products)
-
As I have been suffering from the R2R 11's DSD problem, but I find native DSD somehow more pleasant than PCM, can somebody assure me that there is ZERO background noise in native DSD playback with the R2R 1?
- My EC preamp and power amp doesn't contain any HP output. Is it possible to connect and use the XLR and RCA outputs of the R-1, or R2R-1 with different preamps? If so, I would like to attach my EC 4.7 via XLR, and another Darkvoice 336SE via the RCA outputs.
- Some of the posts mentioned it, but I'm still not sure if there is any factory option for a buil iin USB isolation for the R2R 1/R-1 available, or not?
- Can anybody describe the main differences between this and the Denafrips Ares? I've read pretty good things about that DAC, and it has a better price point than the R2R 1.

Edit: I've found the answer on my 1st question. The R-1 is similar to the R2R 1 in every aspects but the new, customer friendly setup. Magna Hifi offers an affordable upgrade for R2R 1 to this new jumperless design. https://www.magnahifi.com/en/websho...to-r1/category_pathway-18/related_product-601

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #485 of 1,272
Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm a happy owner of an Audio gd R2R 11 unit, which plays an important role in my work-desk listening chain. Even-thou I found the integrated amp section pretty good, the setup is even better with a dedicated valve amp such as my Darkvoice 336SE. On the other hand I'm amazed by the DAC capabilities of this little gem, and find the ladder DAC better and more lifelike, than any of my previous DS DACS.
I'm thinking about a DAC upgrade in my bigger, system which is located in the living-room. The first DAC on my wish list is the R2R 1.
That chain contains an Electrocompaniet 4.7 preamp, an EC AW 100 dual monoblock power amp, and ProAc Response 2.5 speakers.
My questions are the followings:
- What's the difference between the R2R 1, and the newly announced R-1? (as far as I see, all NOS/OS/custom modes are programmable from the front panel, but I don't know if this is the only difference between the two products)
-
As I have been suffering from the R2R 11's DSD problem, but I find native DSD somehow more pleasant than PCM, can somebody assure me that there is ZERO background noise in native DSD playback with the R2R 1?
- My EC preamp and power amp doesn't contain any HP output. Is it possible to connect and use the XLR and RCA outputs of the R-1, or R2R-1 with different preamps? If so, I would like to attach my EC 4.7 via XLR, and another Darkvoice 336SE via the RCA outputs.
- Some of the posts mentioned it, but I'm still not sure if there is any factory option for a buil iin USB isolation for the R2R 1/R-1 available, or not?
- Can anybody describe the main differences between this and the Denafrips Ares? I've read pretty good things about that DAC, and it has a better price point than the R2R 1.
Magna and I think Kingwa mentioned that without the FPGA the R2R11 may not be ideal for DSD. They did not commit to saying that is the exact issue with R2R11. My R2R7 has the noise only ar DSD256 but still mainly at beginning or end of track. I think It appears to be related to the computer use per Kingwa and that when Magna changes from older computer to a better one and using SOtM the noise is gone. I am waiting for a new Macbook Pro 2018 and see if that improves things.

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #486 of 1,272
Just discovered (from post above) that the R2R 1 balanced DAC has apparently been replaced by the R1 balanced DAC.

I have pictures of the backs/fronts of each up on separate browser tabs. The pictures have not been changed, which either means these boxes look identical; or AGD just hasn't put up new pictures.

I love the idea of all settings being front panel-switchable (vs opening case & using jumpers). But are these units the same in other ways?

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #487 of 1,272
Just discovered (from post above) that the R2R 1 balanced DAC has apparently been replaced by the R1 balanced DAC.

I have pictures of the backs/fronts of each up on separate browser tabs. The pictures have not been changed, which either means these boxes look identical; or AGD just hasn't put up new pictures.

I love the idea of all settings being front panel-switchable (vs opening case & using jumpers). But are these units the same in other ways?
There are no indication to that effect nor any significant price difference. The r-1 replaces the r2r-1.

To answer @MelonHead, using xlr and rca simultaneously is possible.

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #488 of 1,272
Magna and I think Kingwa mentioned that without the FPGA the R2R11 may not be ideal for DSD. They did not commit to saying that is the exact issue with R2R11. My R2R7 has the noise only ar DSD256 but still mainly at beginning or end of track. I think It appears to be related to the computer use per Kingwa and that when Magna changes from older computer to a better one and using SOtM the noise is gone. I am waiting for a new Macbook Pro 2018 and see if that improves things.
I don't want to repeat myself, as we have discussed it very well on that private thread.
I wish, I could spare the Gergiev, Mariinsky Shostakovich Symphony No.:7 with you. It's a wonderful piece of art from both the composer, the artists, and the audio engineering side. If I convert it to PCM on the fly under Foobar 2000, everything is seamless, but native DSD playback is full of glitches and noises. You can recognize this problem mainly on the most piano parts of high DR records - this is why you notice it at the beginning and at the end of the tracks, as they often start with quiet parts -, as low DR records doesn't contain this very-very quiet portion of the music. The aforementioned Shostakovich album contains DR16-DR18 tracks, but At least 30% of my DSD collection suffers from this problem.
Unfortunately on the official website, audio.gd still uses such phrases like "Unique noise process technology will remove any digital artifact", "DSD native" "To avoid the digital artifacts, a uniquely designed noise rejection processing technology is applied."
According to these, If I were a new customer I would believe, there shouldn't be any problem with Native DSD.

Thanks FredA for answering that question. :)

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #490 of 1,272
Also, i don't know it this is specific to my setup, but switching from a pcm to a dsd track with the r2r 7 makes a loud pop. Could be due to Audirvana.
No, switching from PCM to DSD makes a loud pop with my R2R 11 as well even after the FW update.

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #492 of 1,272
No, switching from PCM to DSD makes a loud pop with my R2R 11 as well even after the FW update.
It would not bug me much if not mixing dsd with pcm tracks. That way, you can mute the amp at the begining of a dsd sequence.

I only tried a single dsd track so far. It was a conversion from a hires pcm source. Sounded great. Otherwise, no dsd experience for me.

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #493 of 1,272
It would not bug me much if not mixing dsd with pcm tracks. That way, you can mute the amp at the begining of a dsd sequence.

I only tried a single dsd track so far. It was a conversion from a hires pcm source. Sounded great. Otherwise, no dsd experience for me.
Hey Melonhead, you may want to take a look at the D-77. It is a bit more money at 968 US. It has the awesome dual Sabre ES9038 Pro DAC in it.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/D_77/D_77EN.htm

"Unfortunately" I fell in love with R2R DACs. :heart_eyes:
I'll keep my R2R 11 in my HP chain, but I would like to have an affordable, R2R DAC for my bigger system, which has at least 2 outputs and problem free native DSD playback. I want to support Kingwa, but if Audio-gd won't support me, maybe Denafrips Ares will.

@FredA: I'm a full album listener guy, so it won't bother me too much as well. :) The native DSD playback problem is a different story.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #495 of 1,272
@FredA: I'm a full album listener guy, so it won't bother me too much as well. :) The native DSD playback problem is a different story.
Yep. I fell in love with r2r too, 5 years ago. Now, i enjoy my r2r 11 at the office, and the r2r 7 at home. Both very special dacs. With the r-7, you need a great setup. With the r-11, just a decent computer and playback sw and you are good to go and to get absolutely awesome sound for the money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back