Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #46 of 1,301
I have ACSS available between a NOS7 and Master 1 pre and then also between a Master 1 and Master 3 amp..
Also have 2 different cable models for each of the ACSS path, then a few different XLR balanced cable sets (with a preference for those from Morrow Audio.)

I may agree the ACSS is less affected by cable changes than the XLR balanced, but I have one set silver ACSS and one stock ACSS set from Audio-GD and there is a slight difference with the silver a tad smoother (the lengths and connectors are slightly different though..so...).

Using similar cables (i.e. the stock Audio-GD models), and also dissimilar models, when comparing the ACSS to the XLR balanced in my system - the ACSS is consistently more detailed with the higher frequencies more pronounced.. this may not be as evident with transducers with less high end output - my speakers have a 5+ db rise after 10khz which makes this stuff easily discernible.

I think it is good to have the option, gives some opportunities to fine-tune the sound to your preferences and equipment.

Oct 30, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #47 of 1,301
Its just not the case honestly. Using regular output vs using ACSS doesn't do anything honestly, the electrical properties of input/output don't actually change the sound. its the difference between an integrated DAC/Amp vs a DAC & Amp separated...

I'm not sure what you mean by "electrical properties" but ACSS/Krell's CAST is quite different than other connections like XLR.

Quote from this thread:
What it means is that when you connect your whole chain in ACSS, there are 2 interesting things:
1. The signal is being transmitted in the current domain, which minimizes the effect of the cables on the transmission.
2. The whole system acts as one single gain unit, and there is only one I/V (current to voltage conversion) being done at the output stage.
That way the system can avoid multiple gain stages and impedance mismatches.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #49 of 1,301
I was researching what dac/amp combo or integrated i should get. My heart is set on Master 9 as this amp can last me for long time. The dac was an issue for me as I want to get away from delta sigma type and the R2R 7 price tag bit too steep and Kingwa said there's no plan to replace PCM1704 with R2R on his Master 11. so this R2R 1 dac maybe is the final piece to my search. Will love to hear in future if someone use this R2R 1 + Master 9 combo.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #50 of 1,301
I was researching what dac/amp combo or integrated i should get. My heart is set on Master 9 as this amp can last me for long time. The dac was an issue for me as I want to get away from delta sigma type and the R2R 7 price tag bit too steep and Kingwa said there's no plan to replace PCM1704 with R2R on his Master 11. so this R2R 1 dac maybe is the final piece to my search. Will love to hear in future if someone use this R2R 1 + Master 9 combo.
Master 9 sure looks nice but 9W is pretty insane lol
That is enough for speakers for your room!
Most headphones are using 100mw or less lol

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #51 of 1,301
Master 9 sure looks nice but 9W is pretty insane lol
That is enough for speakers for your room!
Most headphones are using 100mw or less lol

I was pumping 21W into my HE-6...

might be overkill for a lot of headphones but future proof for HE-6,Susvara and Abyss.

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #52 of 1,301
I was pumping 21W into my HE-6...

might be overkill for a lot of headphones but future proof for HE-6,Susvara and Abyss.

Its not possible at all, not even remotely.
I have a DX7 that makes ~1.3W at 16ohm and at 90% volume the HE-6 was already LOUD and FULL on balanced.
Nobody is feeding even 2W into any headphone because you would be 100% deaf at that point in time if the headphones didn't explode.
Also for the "future" most headphones are going low impedance and more efficient.

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #53 of 1,301
Hi, guys! I'm seriously considering buying R2R 11 or R2R 2. Maybe there's someone who's had the opportunity to compare these two items?
The thing that bothers me the most is the price difference. Is the R2R 2 really worth paying double the money you'd pay for the R2R 11?
Does it really give you the experience that the cheaper R2R 11 can't provide?
It would be really nice to hear from a person who owns or used to own both of these items.

P.S. I need a USB-DAC for a stereo system with 3-way speakers, a headphone amp option isn't a must... But the price of the R2R 2 does bother me. Any suggestions?

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #54 of 1,301
If you need a DAC, get the R2R 2 I reckon, as you're getting a dedicated DAC, not just a DAC/amp. Considering that the last brand-name USB-DAC-including integrated I auditioned, which cost $2k, sounded like rubbish, I don't consider Audio-gd prices bad at all, nor those of any of the popular brands here.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #55 of 1,301
If you need a DAC, get the R2R 2 I reckon, as you're getting a dedicated DAC, not just a DAC/amp. Considering that the last brand-name USB-DAC-including integrated I auditioned, which cost $2k, sounded like rubbish, I don't consider Audio-gd prices bad at all, nor those of any of the popular brands here.

Thanks for your reply!
So a dedicated DAC must sound better than a DAC\amp in any case, is that right? Could you elaborate on that just a little? I'm not much of a tech guy...

Now, I'm leaning towards the R2R 2 anyway, but still wanna know how it sounds compared to R2R 11. So if there's someone who has listened to both, please let me know.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #56 of 1,301
@JoeDoe has heard both.I asked him recently what the differences were and he said:

"I do think it's a noticeable improvement. How much is going to be different from my ears to yours. I think the most appreciable areas of improvement are soundstage and frequency extremes. Definitely a similar flavor though."

Thanks for your reply!
So a dedicated DAC must sound better than a DAC\amp in any case, is that right? Could you elaborate on that just a little? I'm not much of a tech guy...

Now, I'm leaning towards the R2R 2 anyway, but still wanna know how it sounds compared to R2R 11. So if there's someone who has listened to both, please let me know.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #57 of 1,301

In basic terms, for these kinds of DACs, the larger they are, you have more power supply dedicated to the DAC components. When you read the Audio-gd product pages, it talks about power supply "groups". Basically, one group is one power supply with a set voltage. A DAC will have components that use different voltages. Instead of splitting the power from one "group" to multiple components, an individual group/PSU will be used for each voltage or component. This results in a more stable power supply, lower distortion and better performance.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #59 of 1,301
Nov 25, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #60 of 1,301
Can the R2R 1 play DSD256? When I tried playing DSD, I could only play DSD 64 and DSD128. I could not play DSD 256. I'm using Windows 10, FOOBAR, with output device selected as DSD:ASIO:COMBO384 ASIO 1.03 and TOOLS>SACD>OUTPUT MODE selected as DSD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've also written to Audio Gd. Tks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back