Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
May 7, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #1,681 of 1,757
Received my R-1 today. Pleasantly surprised to find out its the 2021 model (I'm assuming that means it came with upgrades?). Anyone here possibly willing to explain the differences between the 2021 model vs other years by any chance? I've only been listening for an hour or so, and I know these DACs are famous for having to warm up - but my initial impressions are very positive. As others have mentioned, it retains the house sound of other audio-gd products (comparing directly to my r2r-11 og version), but I definitely hear a level or naturalness/clarity I wasn't hearing with that dac. Also, compared to the Geshelli J2 AKM 4499 I have with the upgraded opamps, the R-1 sounds significantly fuller, smoother, and just not as "boring" if that makes sense.

A couple questions for anyone who's familiar with this dac. I tried looking at the manual on audio-gd's site but I couldnt see anything specifically about this. The "oversampling" mode has 4 different options: 0, 2x, 4x, and 8x. Not sure I understand right - "0" mode under the oversample option means "class technology NOS mode". So what exactly is the difference between setting this option to 0 under oversample mode vs putting the dac into NOS mode directly? Also, when set to NOS mode, I have 3 different modes for that also. WHat exactly are the differences in NOS modes for this dac? The manual says that there's only 1 mode for the NOS option now, but I have 3 so I'm assuming I have an older version of the dac.

Thanks for all your help! Definitely have to listen more but I'm really liking it so far.
Os0 is no processing at all so it should miss some highs. Nos has equalization done in the digital domain. The nos submodes are no longer existant so if you have a recent fw, this setting makes no difference.

May 7, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,682 of 1,757
Os0 is no processing at all so it should miss some highs. Nos has equalization done in the digital domain. The nos submodes are no longer existant so if you have a recent fw, this setting makes no difference.
Oh ok. This is a preowned unit so it mustn't have the latest firmware. Thanks for that. So the Os0 mode is technically inferior?

May 7, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #1,684 of 1,757
Yes. But no processing applied can sound more transparent. I prefer NOS, it is better balanced.

In 2021, I think there was no distinction between the nos settings.
Interesting. So even though I can cycle through 3 different options for NOS mode, does that mean they aren't technically doing anything? Or am I required to update the firmware? Another question if I may. The shipper box says "R-1 2021 (accusilicon*2), is accusilicon the upgraded clocks? Sorry for all the questions lol, you guys seem really knowledgeable. I bought this unit used and the seller didn't know much about it so I'm now trying to figure out exactly what it is that I have ha ha.

May 7, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #1,685 of 1,757
Interesting. So even though I can cycle through 3 different options for NOS mode, does that mean they aren't technically doing anything? Or am I required to update the firmware? Another question if I may. The shipper box says "R-1 2021 (accusilicon*2), is accusilicon the upgraded clocks? Sorry for all the questions lol, you guys seem really knowledgeable. I bought this unit used and the seller didn't know much about it so I'm now trying to figure out exactly what it is that I have ha ha.
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R121/R121EN_Use.htm

I am sure you have referred to the above

May 7, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #1,686 of 1,757
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R121/R121EN_Use.htm

I am sure you have referred to the above
Indeed I have. Just re-read it and looks like I may have missed the part about the clocks. From what I gather, the 2021 version ONLY comes with the accusilicon clocks. I'm just a little confused about the NOS submodes. The manual for the r-1 2021 says theres arent any different options, but I can cycle through 3, which is why I'm thinking it may be a firmware thing.

May 7, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #1,687 of 1,757
OS0 is no oversampling, but there is processing, you mention equalisation, I agree but for this mode, not the NOS.
Yes. But no processing applied can sound more transparent. I prefer NOS, it is better balanced.
This is NOS, by a definition no processing and no oversampling. I don't think Kingwa would make such mistake.

May 7, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #1,688 of 1,757
OS0 is no oversampling, but there is processing, you mention equalisation, I agree but for this mode, not the NOS.

This is NOS, by a definition no processing and no oversampling. I don't think Kingwa would make such mistake.
Ok now Im even more confused haha. So Os0 mode is like a NOS mode, but there IS some digital processing going on? Whereas switching over to the TRUE NOS mode means there is NO processing or oversampling done?

May 7, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #1,689 of 1,757
Correct on both counts. :)
Ok now Im even more confused haha. So Os0 mode is like a NOS mode, but there IS some digital processing going on? Whereas switching over to the TRUE NOS mode means there is NO processing or oversampling done?

May 7, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #1,690 of 1,757
Correct on both counts. :)
Ok got it. You guys are gonna hate me for asking so many questions I apologize in advance haha. So when switched over to NOS mode, the 3 submode options don't do anything? Or are there different sound filters for each choice? Fred mentioned that in the newest firmware the differences were removed... Also, what exactly is dithering and should I leave it off? Lol thanks again

May 7, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #1,691 of 1,757
Ok got it. You guys are gonna hate me for asking so many questions I apologize in advance haha. So when switched over to NOS mode, the 3 submode options don't do anything? Or are there different sound filters for each choice? Fred mentioned that in the newest firmware the differences were removed... Also, what exactly is dithering and should I leave it off? Lol thanks again
They don't do anything.

I don't agree with @sajunky. I think NOS does processing. And OS0 none. But ask Kingwa. :) In both cases the sampling rate remains the incoming one of course.

May 7, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #1,692 of 1,757
They don't do anything.

I don't agree with @sajunky. I think NOS does processing. And OS0 none. But ask Kingwa. :) In both cases the sampling rate remains the incoming one of course.
Hmm, think I will shoot him an email. Been messing around with different settings for the past couple hours. And so far, whatever is happening in Os0 mode I'm really liking it! Think it's my favorite setting so far. NOS mode sounds good but my initial impressions are that it has a "gritty" aspect to the treble. Not sure how or why I'm hearing that or if I'm imagining it lol. But Os0 smooths things out nicely, and I also think I'm hearing a deeper soundstage with more defined imaging. The x4 and x8 OS modes are nice but they almost sound too defined to the point where it no longer sounds natural. Os0 is a good balance. I'm also running it directly from USB from my PC, I did order an isolator and I'm curious to hear how that sounds. Can you tell me, how much of a difference in sound can I expect after leaving this thing on over the next few days? I know R2R dacs have a reputation for needing to be left on to sound their best. Thanks again

May 7, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #1,693 of 1,757
Hmm, think I will shoot him an email. Been messing around with different settings for the past couple hours. And so far, whatever is happening in Os0 mode I'm really liking it! Think it's my favorite setting so far. NOS mode sounds good but my initial impressions are that it has a "gritty" aspect to the treble. Not sure how or why I'm hearing that or if I'm imagining it lol. But Os0 smooths things out nicely, and I also think I'm hearing a deeper soundstage with more defined imaging. The x4 and x8 OS modes are nice but they almost sound too defined to the point where it no longer sounds natural. Os0 is a good balance. I'm also running it directly from USB from my PC, I did order an isolator and I'm curious to hear how that sounds. Can you tell me, how much of a difference in sound can I expect after leaving this thing on over the next few days? I know R2R dacs have a reputation for needing to be left on to sound their best. Thanks again
I have R28 2011 version and ech your experience with the Nos vs OS modes. I end up with OS mode for headphones and NOS for my speakers. The Treble energy is a bit high in NOS for me.

May 7, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #1,694 of 1,757
You dac needs only a few hours IMO to reach a stable sound. It's not what it used to be. The boards have been updated since the 1st gen. The DA8 board(what you have) never needed much warming up anyway . The old da7 needed quite some time. About 24h.

May 7, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #1,695 of 1,757
I have R28 2011 version and ech your experience with the Nos vs OS modes. I end up with OS mode for headphones and NOS for my speakers. The Treble energy is a bit high in NOS for me.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with Os0 for week or so before I experiment with other settings. I just got the dac today and it's too hard to gauge the differences because I haven't really gotten used to the sound enough to distinguish subtle differences. But that is interesting that you share the same experience, I'm curious how the recent R1/R28NOS versions sound compared to just engaging NOS mode on the older versions of the dacs. Like if theyre identical sounding of if audio-gd made some changes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back